Mountain pictures

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Beautiful shot of the alpine meadows lisabees. mi mi mi
♫The hiiiiiiills are aliiiive with the soooound of muuusiiic...♫

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Yup, Never Summer. I've always liked the name.

Santa Fe, NM

Very nice picture, Lisabees, and I've meant to say that I've enjoyed your flower pix as well! Look how green it is up there. It was like that at Sugarite, too, to a lesser extent. It is fairly dry around here these days but we are supposed to get some rain later this week. We are still approx. 50% below normal on our rainfall for this year in Santa Fe.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It is really, really dry here in Los Alamos. I am watering and the water doesn't even run off. The soil drinks every drop. We were about average for rainfall here, I heard, but it has become very dry recently.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

A few mountain pics from some of our travels...

More moors than mountains here, the moors of Scotland.

Thumbnail by bsavage
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Ooh! Keep those pictures coming, Brenda, how very lovely.... I especially like this last one. yum

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Mountains (and grapevines) of Napa Valley...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

The mountains surrounding Donner Lake (taken from Donner Ski Ranch in Nordin, California)...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Cotopaxi, Colorado...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

One more for now... the mountains surrounding Trout Lake on the road to Telluride...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Beautiful Brenda. We need moors here with heathers and heaths and such.

Santa Fe, NM

Very nice, Brenda!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Brenda, I once had a view of Lizard Head Pass out my window. That was the winter I was a ski bum at Telluride.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Very nice Brenda. I love the close up of Shasta. I have never gone near the top of that one.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks! Being a ski bum at Telluride sounds fantastic!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Morning Light

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Brenda, I was a ski bum in Stowe, Vermont, too. Yellowstone in the summer, ski resort jobs or teaching in the winter. I was a ping-pong ball. This was my route from age 22 to 32:
Yellowstone - IU Bloomington - Yellowstone - IU Bloomington - Yellowstone - Quebec - Yellowstone - Quebec - Yellowstone - Stowe - Yellowstone - Telluride - Yellowstone - MSU Bozeman - Yellowstone - MSU Bozeman - Ennis (BLM) - MSU Bozeman - Alaska (BLM) - MSU Bozeman - Ennis.

No wonder I didn't take up gardening until middle age. I was too busy hiking.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

What fun! I bet you loved that, Picante!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, Picante, that sounds like a great life -- for a while. Is it your DH who finally tamed you?

Santa Fe, NM

Picante, that does sound like fun!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Paja, my DH wasn't actually terribly tame himself. While I was gadding about from hither to yon, he was teaching XC skiing up on Donner Summit at Royal Gorge. So... two ski bums meet and get married.

I got slowed down by my lower extremities, aka feet, which have gone south due to myofascial pain due to being hypometabolic due to mercury exposure due to the American Dental Association.

Much progress I have made and much more progress I hope to make. For now, I dance when I can and garden when in doubt. If you look at my garden, you will see just how doubtful I've been.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Pretty doubtful, I would say. To bad about the mercury exposure. I have a friend who got it from commerical paint during the Reagan era when paint was allowed to have mercury without mentioning it on the label. She has problems with her hands and stamina. And she is a painter so that is a problem.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have mountains and cruise ships.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Mountains and fishing boats.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Mountains and army trucks

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Mountains and firetrucks.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Mountains and eagles.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

WOW! Soferdig! Nice eagle shot, all nice shots! Where were they taken?

Santa Fe, NM

Nice eagle picture!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I, too, admire the eagle picture and surmise from the photos that you had fun in Alaska.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I quite like the mountains and fishing boats one. Not that I don't like the others, but I think that one beats out the eagle, for me. ;-)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

More mountains and eagles. I get many of the pictures while I am working up in Alaska or home here in Montana. The Eagle one was taken while I was out kayaking late at night in Lynn Canal. We cooked a salmon over a fire and drank a little wine while leaning against a moss covered log.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You'll like this one mountains and whales. A humpback next to me in the kayak near Juneau.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The sound a humpback makes is like no other. It starts like a rifle but quickly dulls into a loud exhale. They are easy to find in the waters of SE AK. Mountains and whale spray

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The eagles along "the bread line" sit and wait for a salmon to swim by and swoop it up. I stayed by this guy for over an hour fishing and waiting to get the shot of the swoop out of the water of a salmon. Did not get it but in 2 weeks I am back at the bread line.= A long rock outcroping where herring and candle fish pile up when the currents push them in.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Last one tonight, Mountains and tidal glaciers.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Those pictures of Alaska are magnificent! They make me want to go there, which is surprising because I tend to want to avoid cold places. But I have had a lifelong ambition to see the northern lights. DH and I plan to go there whenever the solar activity starts up again. It isn't doing anything right now.
I wanted to see a volcano and and a solar eclipse and I have seen both now and they were well worth the effort. I have been through hurricanes and have seen a tornado in the distance. That was enough. I really want to see the northern lights, though. And I would like to experience a small earthquake, but those are hard to plan and you have to be careful not to get a big one.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I've been through a couple small earthquakes pajarito. By the time I figured out what it was and was starting to get unnerved about it, it was over. A friend who went through a larger one said he saw waves running across the ground. Like your tornado, close enough for me.

Santa Fe, NM

Very nice mountain pictures, Sofer. I think I like that last one of the mountains and tidal glaciers best. Such beautiful, fluid lines. It really makes me think of how the earth and the water relate. Or earth and fire, if it was molten lava instead of ice.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have been in 3 earthquakes and one in Tacoma was like you describe. The area was silt and it looked like a lake with 10' waves lifting and lowering the houses around and swinging telephone poles, and Stop lights. The next one I had in the Kingdome in Seattle during a Mariners baseball game. The people were panicking and running for the exit. Speakers were swinging from the ceiling and my dad and I just sat under the supports and said "Hoka Hey". It is a good day to die. Actually we were in the safest place. Only a few tiles fell off the ceiling. One was in California and it just vibrated the ground like a jack hammer.
The tornado I experienced in my sailboat and after over 45 minutes my sailboat sank and we had to swim for 2 1/2 hours to the shore where we were picked up by a boat. I have been searching for my sailboat for almost 2 years. Still haven't found it. It was the only tornadoes to hit NW Montana and I was in the first 2 of 3 that hit our valley on July 12, 2007.
The volcano was Mt Saint Helens on May 1980. I was riding my motorcycle home from building my first clinic and I saw a big mushroom cloud over what I thought was Tacoma. I wondered why the Russians bombed it. Rushing home I saw what was really happening.
I have seen several northern lights but only from Montana and Michigan. Quite beautiful but nothing like the ones in the winter in Northern AK. I too want to go up there to see them.
My bucket list still includes a Hurricane from the Caribbean or gulf of Mexico. That will be when I retire to spend time down there in August on a island.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.