Mountain pictures

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Jenny Lake has a large submerged Limber Pine that has been slowly subducted deep into the lake. I hear it is preserved by the icy waters at the lakes bottom. Kind of interesting. My parents concieved me in Moose, Wy. A small village in the valley. I have never forgiven them for moving to Michigan. Can you imagine the joy of being raised under the Grand Tetons!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I know Moose well. And yes I can imagine the joy of being raised in the Grand Tetons. I spent time there ever summer until I was about 15 and would have been delighted to live there. I was terribly jealous of my cousin who had a horse and could ski and had a cow in a field next to the house in town. But my father wouldn't even consider even visiting the Jackson Hole area in the winter. I guess he saw just too many winters there, but as a kid, I thought getting snowed in sounded glorious.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes and the elk winter on the Salmon river and I have seen thousands of them just outside of town in the winter with steam rising from their nostrils. Quite the photo. I shall always remember the view over the altar of the Church of Transfiguration in Kelly.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

While I was based in West Yellowstone, my boyfriend & I decided to hike Paintbrush Divide one day. It's a 20-mile loop hike, and I couldn't understand why he was dawdling so long in the morning. We didn't get to the trail head until noon! (We took the boat across Jenny Lake.)

Well, we finished our hike around 9 pm. His excuse about dawdling that morning: Well, it was only 20 miles, and you didn't tell me there was 3,000 feet of up and 3,000 feet of down!

I still laugh about that. It is truly one of the most spectacular hikes I've done.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I can imagine. Amazing that your boy friend didn't recognize that there was quite a mountain in front of him. Twenty miles in one day. I don't think I have ever done that in my life. I think my tops is 13. What a wimp I am! I guess it was my early training in life -- Southern belle. I have mostly overcome it, I hope, but I admire your athletic prowess.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes, it wasn't like he had never seen the Tetons -- he was a tour bus driver!
Hey, I was 25 years old. Many things are possible at that age that become impossible later! Now I'm gardening, not hiking.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

When I was 25 I had rarely hiked more than a short distance. It just wasn't done much in the South and I didn't spend enough time in the west to really get into it. By my 30's I had begun hiking, but perhaps I didn't push myself very much then. Now, fogettaboutit!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Is it time for more pictures?

I think these clouds do this because of the mountain. But you have to imagine the mountain part, in these pictures. It's out of the frame to the right. ;-)

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Another move in the Skydance:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

and another:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I was just visiting a PNW gardener and this was her view (Sharon) of MT Rainier from her garden.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Beautiful clouds! Yes I think they have to be shooting up because of Mt. Shasta. And lovely Mt. Ranier shot, Sof. You guys are inspiring!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Sof, thanks that is a truly stunning view!

I'm going to start a new thread for more of these as I suspect there is an endless supply, as long as there are mountains and cameras and beauty lovers. And all meet.

And here is the new thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1034021/

This message was edited Sep 2, 2009 7:01 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Right on, Kyla. And we gawkers can enjoy an endless supply.

Santa Fe, NM

Very pretty!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.