Mountain pictures

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Someone did suggest a Mt Shasta thread, but maybe there are other photogenic mountains out there who could join in......

This is still the best Shasta portrait I've taken so far, so I'm posting it to open this thread, but I got two more relatively worthy ones today which I will post next.

This is from July. Evening colors

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Today the rocks were sharp in the clear air.

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Then, sunset colors came.

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

My goal is to catch a good shot just as a hummingbird flies through close by. ;-)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful, Kyla! I'll have to dig out some of my mountain photos... they're not on this computer. We've driven by Mount Shasta on our way to and from Oregon and Washington, what a gorgeous area!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Simply bodaciously beautious!!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Stunning. We will have to get roybird to photograph some of our local mountains. We have some beauties but none that just stand out front like Mt. Shasta.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I depend a lot on the weather to give me a good picture to take. When it is clear and a bit hazy, and summer weather, it is not that photogenic from right here.......

What you actually see, the peak in front, is actually Shastina which is only around 10 thousand feet I believe. Behind slightly to the left, but looking from this view as though it is part of the same peak, is the actual summit of Shasta at closer to 15 thousand (I think it is 14,900 something......)

They are the same mountain, different peaks. I do enjoy being able to do this from my very front deck and that I do not have to go driving off somewhere to see this and photograph it!

And now I have reason to keep an eye out for good shots, too, to share with y'all. ;-)

This is without zoom, taken the other day, showing trailers and all.

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Today it is very! smoky! out there!

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Is there a forest fire nearby? I love the first picture with the valley all red. Wonderful shot.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yeah, fires in Lassen Park south and east of here.... lots of lightning strikes lately.

The smoke has since cleared quite a bit, I am thankful to report.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good. The smoke of forest fires is quite unpleasant, but unavoidable when you live in the middle of forested areas. I am not aware of any fires here right now, but if we continue to go without rain, I am sure we will have some.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Ooh, ooh, I just found this. Taken last year in September, less than a month after I moved here from NC, with a grocery store Kodak........ developed, mailed to a friend in NC who scanned and made jpegs for me!

Gosh, no more of that stuff!

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, how dramatic Mother Nature can be! Nice shot.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay, these are out of focus....... used the last available light to catch weather coming in tonight, too bad I messed up with the focus but oh well.

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

one more

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Santa Fe, NM

Beautiful pictures, Kyla. You know, I particularly liked the un-zoomed photo with Shastina and the houses. It came out very sharp and gave me a context. More of a story. The storm pic on the grocery store camera is pretty amazing! Love the sunset pics, of course. With your photos of the mountain I am sorely tempted to edit out the power lines! You will undoubtedly experience that when you get comfortable with whatever editing program you decide on. On the other hand, the power lines and so forth add to the story in the Shastina picture. This is just an opinion, by the way, and not a criticism. I like to talk about pictures!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Roybird, thank you, and I totally agree about the powerlines! One day.......

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay, three from today. Weather departing.......

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Fresh snow on her shoulder. Woops, forgot the picture........

This message was edited Aug 6, 2009 2:32 PM

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Fresh snow on her shoulder, take two:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

And again.......

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Fresh snow already! Winter is icumin in! ( to quote Ezra Pound). Beautiful pictures. I assume the long white streaks down the mountains sides are rock slides, not ski runs?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, I think that fresh snow will be gone long before winter actually sets in, Paj........ But it is refreshing to see it now, after last week of over 100 degree temps every day! Today it is quite cool in contrast (70s) and sure to be quite a bit cooler up there. That won't last either.

The long white streaks? I dunno actually, somewhere the snow collects but definitely not a ski run, at least not to my knowledges.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You would probably know if there were a ski area on Shasta. Those marks are probably too straight to be ski runs. The acceleration down one of those would probably do in half the skiers!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I always liked this mountain. It was taken last May in Denali national park.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Or this one Hidden Lake Logan Pass Glacier park.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Or this one in Sitka AK. Mt Edgcombe a volcano across the bay from town.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, lovely! Soferdig, I had a feeling you would be showing up here with some high quality mountains. ;-)

Santa Fe, NM

OOOh, those are some gorgeous mountains, Kyla and Sofer! Little Horse Mesa, in New Mexico.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

And some more mountains. I think this is looking across from the top of Little Horse Mesa. But, I'm awful tired tonight. I took over 200 pictures and have been looking at them today and can't tell one another at this point. And that's just the ones from the little camera. Haven't started the others yet. What lies beyond the mountain? Another mountain. Edited to say this is soda pocket campground from the mesa.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2009 10:33 PM

Thumbnail by roybird
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I had a hard time taking this one. Winds over 100mph for 2 days at Kokiak AK.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Santa Fe, NM

Great picture! Yikes! Cold.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Beautiful mountains and scenery all! Nice to pay attention to the big picture every now and then, instead of the small picture of our gardens.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Beautious!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

How about mountains AND flowers? This is up at Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park a couple weeks ago.

Thumbnail by lisabees
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Welcome lurkers peeking in. I see you in the views ^_^ Feel free to pop in/join in if you like.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Beautiful mountain & flowers. This is a beautiful time of the year. There are lovely flowers and I can get fabulous veggies at the farmers' market and the heat has broken, at least here.

Lurkers? in the views? I think I am missing something. Are you referring to the bicyclist in the last one?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The number of 'Views' at the top of the thread paj. This thread got alot of hits real quick which is not surprising with the title ^_^

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Love all the new pictures, now we're cookin! Sofer, that last one from you with the 100 mph winds, woo hoo, that's a real bracer of a tonic on a hot day, just lookin at th at.

Lisabees, wowie! I love that. Definitely flowers AND mountains...... I am looking for a view that does that but so far haven't found one. Course, I am not venturing far from home, LOL!

Here is today's "Cold Shoulder":

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.