Extending Where's Catscan to Whirly Purly & Dahlia's Flock

Lodi, United States

I have been trying to do research greykyttyn--but there are two groups, those that loves 'em and those that don't.

I don't know which group I would fall into....the inability to do more than rudimentary word processing does worrry me.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Catsy, I wouldn't get an iPhone for word processing or emailing. I have an iPod Touch which, as far as I can tell, is the same thing but without the phone capabilities. I can get online anywhere there's a wifi signal, though. As far as typing on it, forget it. I liked my Palm lots better because you could actually write with a stylus, and once you learned the configurations it was really quick. The Touch keyboard is a pain in the neck, especially if you're used to touch-typing rapidly on a regular keyboard. I would really recommend getting the air card for your laptop. That's pretty much what I have for internet access on my desktop Mac.

Zeesh - how did we all get so serious, though?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Yaaaaaawwwnnn.....oh sorry, did you say something?

Here is a picture of the ram that won the Big Ram competition at the Iowa State Fair today. He weighed 436 pounds.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

The winner with two of the other contestants. It was a fun show today. I'll have to post more pictures later - we saw the Corriedale and Rambouillet shows too.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Lodi, United States

Oh. Envy. This is getting old....I go to work and stick colour coded labels into dodder infected tomato plants in a hot greenhouse and Moxon goes.....TO THE FAIR!!!!! And looks at SHEEP!

So I am just going to pretend that I never saw it....

Has anyone had any experience with the AT&T netbook?--it looks like a small laptop that links to the internet...I'm not sure what else it does...

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/netbooks.jsp

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Well geepers...i took a VACATION day to go to the fair! I'm sure they give you vacation days at your job. You're not completely tied to the dodder....

Check out this handsome Rambouillet ram....

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Check out the gorgeous fleece on this Lincoln longwool. I just want to spin right off the sheep...

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Lodi, United States

We could YouTube it! And go viral.....

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Catscan, I feel your pain. I used to be green with envy when I had to take time off from work, either a personal day or without pay, to attend some sort of green event, while people who worked for nonprofits and other environmental organizations got to go whilst being paid! Somehow seemed unfair. Speaking of fair, those are gorgeous sheep!

What do you care about dodder in tomatoes? We sometimes have huge colonies of it here on the river, taking over the palustrine plants.

Leslie

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Love the sheep. So wish we had live stock shows around here, our fair is a joke.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

really, you all ever seen a gator or flamingo compatition at your local fair..LOL poor wren..

different parts of the country, different fairs... lol

wonder if we could breed an angora flamingo.. oh what pretty wool we would weave.

Lodi, United States

Hi Greenhouse_gal! Dodder is a moderately severe problem in the commercial processing tomato fields here in CA. Since the seeds can remain dormant for up to 20 years, it can be hard to clear a field once the parasite becomes established. There are tomato varieties that show resistance--but it has not been genetically characterized and it looks like it is multigenic--which means it may be hard to introduce into new lines.

I love my dodder--I spend so much time looking at it that I see it when my eyes are closed at night. It grows up to 3 inches in a night so I have to go in every morning and clean up my experiment. It is really pretty--like golden threads of death.

I actually think bindweed is a bigger problem.

They do have a few animals, but not the number that they have else ware.

My crocheting is coming along. Can only do a little at at time. Wish I could do something about my damaged right thumb. I will try to take a picture of the crochet later. I just love the crochet-lit hooks.

Cat I agree about the bindweed. I have it everywhere in the yard.

Lodi, United States

Wren--have you tried the "anti-fatigue" gloves they sell for needleworkers? I don't have problems--but everytime I see them I think of you and wonder if they would help.

Thanks but the main problem is my right thumb and they do not reach up far enough on the thumb to be any help. I had a dog bite me and the tooth went into the joint.

Here is a picture of what I have gotten done(not counting all that I tore up!!! LOL) going to make a poncho or a long sweater.

Thumbnail by wren107
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Catscan, you need to talk to Cody. He has that iPod touch and he loves it! He has repaired many an iPhone for frustrated teens..

Thank you Greykyttyn.. Krystal has Sprint, and I think that's the way I will go.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks Claire for making me spend my hard earned money on some of your yarn!! I checked out your Etsy site and just had to have your 'Garden Stroll' yarn. I know my DH will say 'Why do you need more yarn?!'...he just doesn't understand having to have a yarn stash....lol. I will have to check how to sell on Etsy, I do scrollsaw work and am learning to use a mini-lathe.

Loreen

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

wren107 - my mom had a cat bite her in the finger joint nearly 20 yrs ago. She has trouble crocheting after that. She did fine (if she will do it) when she was soaking her hands in a paraffin bath. This helped considerably. The movement is much better afterwords.

ZZ- YIPPIE! i have Sprint.. we can talk for free!

??? what is a paraffin bath???? Please

Lodi, United States

I had a Latin teacher in high school, who also swore by parafin baths for her arthritic fingers.

Parafin (a sort of wax) melts at a very low temp--so you can melt it and put your hands in and it is very warm and soothing....they even offer them at spas as a beauty treatment.

I know what parafin is but had never hear of the baths I will have to try it. The other joints she get also hurt but not as bad as the thumb.

Thanks.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Wren107,

Here's a link on how to do a home paraffin bath: http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/PatientEd/Materials/PDFDocs/exer-reh/modality/paraffin.pdf

My DH got me a Homedics brand paraffin bath several years ago and I love it! I was using it to keep the skin on my hands & feet soft but now that I've developed arthritis in my knees I use it for that too. No, I don't dip my knees....lol.....I use a paint brush and paint on several layers.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2009 2:21 PM

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh my goodness Loreen! I was sooooo excited to arrive home and see that I had sold my first handspun yarn from my Etsy shop! And then even more excited to find out it went to you! Thank you so much for being my first customer!! I will be shipping it out to you right away and will be looking forward to hearing your comments - positive or negative. It is my favorite yarn of the three that I had listed, so I do hope you will enjoy it as much as I do.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Woohoo! I was your first customer!! I can't wait to see it when it gets here. I don't suppose Marshmallow would fit in the same package? Oh, wait, we live in the city and can't have sheep...we can have pygmy goats, potbellied pigs, rabbits, chickens, and ducks but no sheep. My DH has also put the limit on ducks only (he still thinks the cats are enough).

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

Sometimes you can buy them at walmart. We bought ours at Sally Beauty supply. They aren't cheap.. but the paraffin lasts forever if you make sure you keep it clean.

I'm looking, may have to wait till next month, but I am getting one.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I love, love, love your crochet Wren! It's so even and beautifully done. Great job!

Fran - angora flamingo - you go girl! I'll be your first customer!

Loreen - Miss Marshmallow sends her regrets, but offers to send a pygmy goat in the package, since she thinks they eat too much of her hay and grain. ;-)

Anyone who wants a swing through the Iowa State Fair Day One, it's on my blog!
http://chooksiniowa.blogspot.com/2009/08/iowa-state-fair-day-one.html
(a little sheep focused, admittedly, but what would you expect?)

Thanks, I do lose count on the loops every once in a wall. LOL

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

very nice Wren..... I am waiting for the cold weather to hit before I try and learn

Claire did you enter in the fair?

Paraffin wax beauty treatments, hummmm got to try it.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Nope, I don't enter the fair. I might someday. Maybe one of our fleeces or something. I looked at the knitting and crochet entries....wow....amazing stuff! I am in awe. Kelly loves the woodworking entries. There doesn't seem to be a handspun yarn competition!

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

claire, my sis says it would be the miscilanious catagory.. she enters often and finally got enough of the guild gals to enter they now have their own catagories.

And NO, I cannot spell, and no time to look it up.. I AM A FARMER DARN IT! lol

I just get my book "Crocheting for Dummies" and it is great, explains everything. I have read to the point that it is explaining the label on yarn. the pictures are great and the info is clear.They explain everything, which is great as I thought my self and I some times have trouble decoding the patterns. LOL

For those who want to learn to knit they have the "Knitting for Dummies" book also

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

hummm good reading I will check it out

How is every one?????

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I am stunned and flabbergasted (oooh, I love that word).

See new thread here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1028412/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.