Extending Where's Catscan to Whirly Purly & Dahlia's Flock

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh, forgot to say there will be felted items as well, soon. Hopefully Christmas ornaments for the holidays and some other items in the meantime.

Porkpal - Etsy.com is a site for people who make handmade things to sell their stuff. You get your own "storefront" as it were, and can sell things. Click on the link I provided to get to my store!

Lodi, United States

You can sell seeds too....

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Now I think I remember reading somewhere Beauty is in the Eye of the beholder...LOL unless there are 8 toes on one sock and 9 on the other, I am thinking they should be Lovely... I shall wait patently though and check back at the shop from time to time... (I book marked it)

Richmond, TX

We all will wait (and some will sulk) DIVINE takes time.

Does Etsy stand for something?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I don't think you can sell seeds unless you paint them funny colours and turn them into macaroni-style art. They are not "handmade" you see.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Hmmmm....I don't know...."Easy To Sell Yourself" ???

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

Cmoxon - i'm adding vampire wars... maybe Fairyland.. that sounds.. interesting.. Robin hood.. idk about.. my nephew is trying to get me to join the mafia wars. I just can't play things where i have to recruit people to keep getting ahead in teh game.. too few friends who play.

Lodi, United States

I don't know--I found Etsy when I was looking for abelmoschus moschatus (ambrette) seeds and several people were selling seeds they had grown and increased themselves on the site.....

Lodi, United States

I don't think Etsy is meant to support human trafficking, Moxon....

I know what you mean about the friends, greykyttyn....as badly as I need to be featured on "What Not To Wear", my DH keeps pointing out that there would be no one there for the final reveal...so sad....

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

aww.. surely not.. i cant see u needing to be featured on What not to wear... no way..

you've got friends.. lots of them here!

Lodi, United States

Thank you, greykyttyn, sniff....I am going to tell my DH and maybe he will nominate me....(and yes, I really do need it).

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

:) your welcome!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Interesting! I did not know one could sell seeds there. They seem to be in the same section as edibles. I've been considering adding my fudge to my shop. Kelly makes good spice rubs with our own ground peppers. Oh, we'll see....

And yes, Catscan, I would DEFINITELY attend the reveal, even if I had to fly there (gulp...)

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

CMoxon.. no need to fly... u live awfully close to me.. we can just drive to Cali together!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Add the fudge!!!!!! I love fudge!!!!! Well I like almost any thing editable (?)!!!! You notice the "almost" LOL

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Claire, did I read something about attending law school, too? Law school for a specialty of ice-damage recovery in Tahiti or something equally non-taxing? How else could you singlehandedly keep all those games going for the masses, torture your wool, and play genetics with your farm critters (real, not virtual) and all this with a slow internet connection - plus working somewhere else where they monitor your online activities?

We live on a river site which has been continuously occupied for about ten thousand years; we are always turning up potsherds and the very occasional point - one of which has been identified by an archaeologist friend as dating back to about 8000 B.C. Our part of NJ is quite flat, but to make up for the lack of vertical challenge we have rivers, marshes and bays, for which I'd personally trade hills any day. We used to live in WA, and had both mountains and straits, passages and inlets - that was a lovely area which did have it all.

By the way, I had a horribly slow dialup internet connection until I went wireless. It's a pretty good option.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Greenhouse_gal - your rivers and marshes that you had sound rather lovely to me - they must have attracted a wonderful assortment of birds and other wildlife. I grew up in Nova Scotia so I miss the ocean a lot. WA sounds lovely too.

My internet is just intermediately slow. It's nowhere near as slow as dial-up, but it's not as fast as DSL. Plus the satellite goes out from time to time when we have heavy clouds (or worse). When i moved out here, 1.5 years ago, I researched for days on the internet options, but it seemed that this was the only one. I heard from someone else about the wireless option. I need to look into it. My contract for the satellite is up in February I think, so I could switch if wireless is available out here. Sometimes our cell phone signals are bad out here though. Cable internet is available about 2 miles away. I keep hoping they will extend it!

Yes, I am in part time law school on my way to becoming a patent attorney (I'm already a patent agent), so yes, I work full time, attend school part time, care for a house lamb, help with taking care of the farm animals, play with wool, play on FB, and that is why my house is a bit chaotic and it seems to take me a long time to get stuff done. What can I say....I do like to be busy, although not quite this busy. I've been off classes this summer (I needed a summer off after having taken classes through the last 2 summers) but I start up on August 24, so I will have less time for FB. Something's gotta give!

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

pester the cable company till they extend the line!!!!!! Just one more thing for you to add to your busy day. :)

Claire, we are still living on our river and it's really nice. The wildlife is great and we have herons and osprey and eagles and otters - you get the picture. I have always wanted to see Nova Scotia; it sounds like a beautiful place. I'll bet you really miss it!

I get really good reception on my cell phone here with Verizon, which is why I figured that wireless would work as an internet provider once I heard that it was an option. Comcast has a cable on our street but they wanted to charge us $2600 to run one down our (admittedly long) driveway to hook us up - and give us the privilege of paying their ever-increasing fees! We use DishNetwork for television, so we have a lot of different providers, which gets expensive, but that's one of the prices of rural life.

We're retired now but I certainly admire your energy. You're even busier than we are. I'm amazed that you can be so active here, let alone at FB......

Leslie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well get this: the Chicken Police don't do skunks cuz it's legal to have skunks in Calgary, not horses, cows, chickens or ducks but yupper skunks are a thumbs up ROFLMAO. (Now I'm wondering if I can have a herd of moose.) DH is a little miffed but Peppy and Peppermint and I had a feast of apples and raisons to celebrate. DH's next move is 'Wildlife Rescue' which is way too silly cuz they SOOO don't need to be rescued.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

dahlianut, THAT is way too funny.. here's hoping we all get rescued by you or claire in our next lives!

I too am a rural internet user.. that is I am on the ever snail crawling d i a l u p p p zzzzzzzzz,
LOL , I thought of going with a cell phonw comapny.. but I have verizon telephone and when they were here working the last time on the wired phone lines, the guy had to use my cell phone (at&t) because there is no verizon reception out here.. LOL
Someday there will be something better and faster, until that day.. I too will multi-task while playing on the computer.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Well, just looked up Verizon and AT&T wireless internet and neither is provided in my service area. :-(
That just rots.

Dahlianutty, I am so glad the skunk flock has a reprieve, and I am looking forward to pictures of your moose herd when they arrive. Wildlife rescue...pffftt......

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

MsJestr.. please include instructions in your ropin class that when one graduates to throwin from a horse, WATCH OUT FOR THE HORSE'S HEAD!!
When your teacher doesn't tell you that.. and you wrap a 2yr old in the side of the head...
you wake up with a terrible taste in your mouth and a walking dust cloud...

Then a perfectly bred quarter horse gelding is a gymkana project and not arope horse. LOL

Claire, the main question is whether people on either Verizon or AT&T cell phones can make calls from your place. If the signal is good enough for that, it's good enough for wireless internet. For some reason that's not a service that they advertise at all aggressively.

I had tried to get DSL from Verizon and they had told me at first that it was available, and then they said my phone lines were too old and we were too far from the central dispatching station for me to get it here.

No one ever mentioned wireless. My Mac guy finally suggested it when I was asking him if he had any other ideas for highspeed internet for me. When I went to the Verizon wireless store they didn't seem that accustomed to people using it for home computers but they figured it was possible. I had a month to try it out to make sure it would work. I asked them why the people I had been talking to about DSL hadn't mentioned it, and they explained that they two different branches of the company and they're not really familiar with what the other has to offer.

Dumb, dumb,dumb!

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I agree with Ghgirl.. If I went by what the maps and computer input says, no mobile phone company works out here.. if fact when I try to purchase plans in town from different companies they are not even allowed to contract with me.. we are thatn little yellow dot of the unavailable map.. LOL, BUT if you call and sign up over the phone, they will allow it every time..
and yes, tried and true does rule.. if people get a good steady signal from your house via cell phone, you should be able to get the wireless.. I am thinking AT&T is going to be my best bet.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

LOL Zz yep been there done that... That is why you learn to rope from a fence prior to geting up that high.

Claire and Grey, you should be travelin down I 40 on your way to cali, and if you do, me and Billy would love to meet you for a cup of coffee or a meal....

Claire I have the "smart card" for my laptop. Still learning where it will work and not. Get it so when I am setting a the doctor office or ER with DM I will be able to get on line and talk to people and not climb the walls in those little rooms. LOL

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Grey - I think we should go to Cali on a vacation and abduct Catscan and take her shopping and be our own "What not to Wear" crew and get her all fancied up. Whaddayathink?

I will look into the wireless thing more when I am at the end of the contract - I'm stuck on the satellite for 2 years so by Feb, I should be able to figure out if the wireless internet is available near me or not. Our cell phone signals are pretty dodgy...we have to be in certain rooms and facing certain directions.

I also have wireless on the landline at&t

Dahlia this is for you. http://cheezburger.com/TemplateView.aspx?ciid=3956137

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

^_^ Dear wren Peppy Le Peu would do that for sure ^ _^ He doesn't even waddle away now when I let the crazy ole cat out at night. It's like 'oh ya that guy'.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

The cell phone reception can also be improved by which phone you have bc my friends have cell phones with Sprint.. they can't call out on thier property.. but my phone will work anywhere i wish to stand on thier property with clear reception. Its partly the phone's attenna strength.. & partly how close to cell towers you are. You might see if the cell phone company can check reception strength at your house by coming out to check before you switch.. or make sure you get the 1 month free & test it. Bc u may have crappy cell phone reception with the phone you have & have beautiful internet reception bc of a better attenna in the card. :)

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

CMoxon - that actually sounds fun. I love to shop if its not my money!

Kyttyn, that's how I knew that Verizon would work here; that's what I have, and it gets good signals almost everywhere in our area, whereas friends on other services have problems.

I would love to get AT&T because I want an iPhone, but it just isn't good enough around here.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

that is very true.. but i meant to point out my friends & I have the same cell phone provider..

Just give it time. Cell phone providers around her bid on Tower space once every few years. At&t may be coming up in your area before long. Sprint got it the last time here & I have amazing reception even out in the north 40 of the county where there isn't a tower for miles.

What I'm really hoping for is that Verizon will make a deal with Apple so the iPhone is available for their subscribers, too!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

This is interesting.. I'm gonna need a phone with internet service that will work EVERYWHERE!

LOL I have a tiny netbook that I was using on Krystals Sprint phone.

Any suggestions?

Talk about off topic!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMBO

ZZ if you have a laptop there are "smart cards" which will work in a lot of area, I get mine from AT&T
The device is a small thingy that plugs into the laptop.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

We notice with our drivers that Sprint phones work best on the west coast & AT&T work best on the east.. Sprint works best in the Midwest too. AT&T works best near the Florida, Georgia & Alabama areas. So its a toss up. We were considering switching to Nextel/Sprint bc its suppose to be better for larger areas & Sprint can pull off of an AT&T tower supposedly & AT&T can't pull off of a Sprint tower. Idk if thats true.. some guys i knew that did tower work told me that & my att phone would NOT transfer to sprint but my sprint phone will transfer back to att if i need to change providers. It could be a rumor.. but my Sprint phone will have reception before my friends ATT phone will when we go driving cross country & we both have good phones. beyond those two.. idk. Just what our drivers run into. I also noticed that the Military guys i know.. that are stationed on both coasts get better reception overall with Sprint or Verizon.

Lodi, United States

I am torn between getting AT&T's "air card" (same thing as the smart card, I guess) for my laptop--or just going for the IPhone....

The smart card means I could work anywhere (and buy eggs at work off eBay) and do word processing too, but the IPhone would be handier and useful for amusing myself in meetings....But you all are right, the coverage for AT&T is not the greatest.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2009 2:00 PM

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

I know a few people with the iPhone.. they were less than impressed. So you might so some major review research on it before getting it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.