Time to call it quits - need coleus cuttings?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Time to close this offer. I have 18 boxes to send out.

I have decided to close up the greenhouse. It is expensive, time consuming - simply a waste of time.

I have enjoyed every minute I spent out there. I just need to find myself a different hobby, closer to home.

The place I am living is in foreclosure. The landlord disappeared last year & I haven't paid rent in months. Living for free has been nice, but, this is not the place to try and keep a collection going. My collection is too big and too hard to move. I can't burden my friends and family with my collection, they have their own chores.

So.....

If you ask me nicely and promise to return my postage I will send you a box full of cuttings.

I have been having problems with mealy bugs, a problem I haven't been able to solve completely. I spray every week, but, they keep flying in and re infesting the coleus. Coleus are fast growers at this time of year and the bugs seem to know which parts of the plants are new and untreated. I will do the best I can to send them bug free, but, there is no guarantee.

I would have posted this on the Plants Forum, but, I only want to deal with the coleus crazies.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2009 3:17 PM

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I promise to pay postage and would love a box, Dale, but sorry to see you have to go through this. I hope you'll find another place where you can resume growing your beautiful coleus. Then we can all send cuttings back to you.

Please add my name to the list. Thank you.

Pirl/Arlene

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Dale
So sorry to see this happen. I hope you find better diggs in which to live and like pirl said, don't worry about getting more coleus. You know you can restock right here with your friends.

Huber Heights , OH(Zone 5b)

We would love a box also, and sorry that you have to close your greenhouse, and when you are ready we will send you some

Just let us know how much postage is. I can paypal it to you when you are ready

Patrick

This message was edited Jul 29, 2009 9:47 AM

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh Dale,
I'm very sorry for all the problems you had with the coleus. You have so many really beautiful ones. I would gladly send you postage for cuttings paypal if you would like or a check. Just let me know how much.
Pam

Dale, this is a saying that has given me joy:

Every story has an end, but in life, every end has a new beginning.

I hang onto that, especially in this economy!

I know that your new beginnings will be wonderful.

Dmail sent with address and a promise to pay for postage. ^_^

edited to add: this coleus is called Orange King (according to it's tag anyway!)

This message was edited Jul 30, 2009 9:16 AM

Thumbnail by
Parkersburg, WV

Dmailed you with address.
taj

New Port Richey, FL

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Your wonderful pictures got me obsessed with coleus, a "magnificent obsession." I would dearly love a box of cuttings, please, please, please. I'll d-mail you with my address and will be more than happy to pay postage and packing.

Helen

Helen, I have to agree with you....I always loved coleus and got hooked on it back in the mid 70's as a new gardener.
BUT Dale really created a much stronger love of it. It's an obsession and my favorite shade plant.
I only have about a dozen varieties since it is very difficult to buy here in Phoenix. But I have a long list of the ones I like and want someday.

Dale, I will miss seeing all you share with us.

I am able to keep it growing as a perennial which is nice too.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Dale I too would love a box of cuttings... and will send you money... and can always send you some back later on... hope things get better for you

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have 8 on my list so far. I think a couple more lurkers should take me up on my offer.

I almost forgot that I have a few hundred plugs in trays, I will have to send some of those too, if possible.

I am debating whether to use flat rate boxes or UPS. Anyone have any experience in doing a cost comparison?

If I use the $5 small flat rate box I can fit in many cuttings, but, no plugs.

If I go up to the $11 medium flat rate box I can get 15 +/- plugs and alot of cuttings.

You all need to let me know (by dmail) which you would prefer.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Dale, I am wishing you well, you also peaked my interest in coleus and started me searching for more. Always enjoy your posts and pictures. This being the exception. : (

I would love a box also, just d-mail me the shipping cost and I'll post a check to you. And when you want to get started again I'll return the favor.

Chris

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Dale,

If you have any more available I would like to have some.

Paul

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Oh I sure hope I am not to late....but understand if I am. I love coleus and would love to have some of your cuttings.

Thanks in advance

Shirley

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Paul,

You should drive over this weekend. I will be there on Saturday and Sunday, from about 9am to noon.

I will load you up.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Dale
Would love a box it you still have some.
Jan...

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I would love a box of cuttings...

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Dale,

Sent you a dmail

Paul

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Dale, I also would love to have a box if you have any left. I sure hope you stay with us here - I have learned so much from you and really enjoy all your beautiful pictures.

I will send you a D-Mail.

Chris

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Just to be sure....

I have reached a good number and I will have to stop taking names.

I'm still fiddling with the War Zone.

The one coleus that I already had, Swiss Sunshine, a cutting from a friend, is bullet proof. I'm propagating that one like crazy, and the leftover cutting scraps just won't die. So, instead of one of everything, I think I might have zoodles of this one. It's such a cutie.

Dale, just so you don't go away! But burnout is pest, as is moving. Good luck finding a new abode.

Melissa

Thumbnail by
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks Melissa,
I am sure something will come up.

(Zone 5b)

Dale, does this mean you will still be growing coleus just not such a large and extensive hobby for you?

Sure would hate not having you here, I just got "the bug" last year!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I will still have some coleus, but, going from 75+ to 10 will be a big step down.

My growing space is going from 100' x 75' down to 15' x 10'.

And I am still facing a move soon.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Dale-A check is heading your way...I got it in the mail to you today.

Shirley

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Dale sorry to hear that what will you be doing with the larger plants???

Mine too...but in the mail in the morning!
Thanks Dale.
Boo

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Lee,

The larger coleus plants are gonna get chopped on, I have 18 boxes to send.

The other stufff - the tropicals, peach trees, lantana, banana, crotons etc. will be on sale this weekend. I am going to be there on Sat & Sun from 9-12.

I sent a flyer out to the folks I know locally, the ad said Sunday, but, people I am a little closer too I told them Sat (that would be you).

Anything left after this weekend is going to be given away. USF Botanical Garden. The University over in Lakeland and Bok Tower are also on my list - if I have the time.

I am sure a lot of it is just going to be left behind.

I am going on vacation to Northern California for the last two weeks of Aug. Every 10 years I give myself a 'big' vacation. For my 50th birthday I spent 3 weeks in Hawaii. I don't want to go that far away this time.

This one of Chris Baker's new hybrids, as yet un-named, lets just call it 07-49>

Dale,
Please send me a list of what you have.

Huntersville, NC

HI Dale
- I am so very sorry to read your plight.

but ive gotten my shipment of pots in from greenhouse mega store and would gladly accommodate your whatever.

i do like the big ones. any JapaneseGiants or crotons left ??

can tropicals be house plants? if so count me in there too.

tell me postage amounts and ill forward to you.

Beverly

Dale, just might be a huge "Whew!" once you're done, hey?

I am overloaded right now, but not with a big greenhouse thing.

Best of luck, and have a GREAT vacation!

(Alla them you sent me are turning green! New post w/photos in a day or two.)

(Zone 5b)

Dale you have to think like a woman does now... in that 15' x 10' area, many coleus could be grown!
I can envision coleus in hanging baskets, creating columns with tiers after tier of coleus pots, etc.
The possibilities are endless ....

I'm very glad to hear that we aren't losing our King of Coleus and you will still be around to share with us!

Bonnie

New Port Richey, FL

Those of you who asked Dale for cuttings are going to be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy! Since I'm only an hour away, I drove to Dale's on Saturday to take advantage of his offer and save him the work of packing. We wandered up and down the rows of containers, and he gave me a marvelous selection of cuttings - every color, leaf size, shape. He's truly an enabler - "Here, take one of these, too - it'll look good next to that other one." And on and on.

Luckily, he also had dozens of pots I could buy. Got home, gave the babies an insecticide bath and started potting the cuttings. I finally finished up at 9:00 pm, famished but too tired to chew, so I raised a couple of cold beers in Dale's honor. Thank you so much, Dale! It was great to be able to meet you, and to come home with such treasures.

Helen

oh I am so excited to see mine! ^_^

I started to go but got lost about 2 miles away. LOL Teach me not to take a map!!! Next week.

New Port Richey, FL

Budgie - let me know if you need directions from the map-impaired like me - the only tricky part I found was that you have to drive down the little road that says "No entrance" or something like that.

Helen

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Can't miss the gate display with the over sized, slowly declining Impatiens.....

This is a croton, not a coleus>

Thanks but Dale was kind enough to enlighten me. I'm working on trying to organize my "backyard" nursery so I can apply for a license and get inspected so I can sell locally.
I'm quickly running out of ground room and have a large order of colocasia plugs coming the week after that I have to find room for in addition to anything I get from Dale. I'm currently scavenging empty pots right now to clean and bleach them for the plugs.

Dale,
I'm surprised you've been able to keep your inpatients going this long. Those and my snapdragons pooped out weeks ago.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Did you know I have thousands of pots and trays to match?

I keep my impatiens in 'containers'. They are planted on the ground, but, not in the ground. When you come out I will show you how I do it.

At one of my jobs I have impatiens that are three years old, in pots. They are nearly shrubs>

I'll check out the pots when I come. Maybe that's why mine get fried in the ground. I never thought to keep them in the pots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.