Time to call it quits - need coleus cuttings?

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

Dale I am so sorry of your plight. To down size in life is the hardest thing, so I found out last year. I miss my life as it was but making the best of what I have and so will you. it's the nature of the beast. You did put the coleus on DG map so to speak.Helene

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I got 4 checks in the mail today

Thanks Hetty
and Linda H.
& Shirley S.
and Pam C.

Today didn't go well, so I will be posting boxes in the morning.

I found fire ants in the containers I was replanting. Had to go to the store, get insecticide and then wait for them to die. It is always something.

When I went to pick up the Pentas I was planting I am glad I called first. I didn't realize they took an hour and a half lunch. Noon to 1:30. It was 4:15 before I finished. I was hoping to get done by 2.

I need to get back to my chores. I will take a break later.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

mine went out yesterday but will probably be post marked on Monday since mail doesn't relaly get posted on Sunday's.

Huber Heights , OH(Zone 5b)

ours went out today also you should be receiving it in a few days

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Mine went out Saturday.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh Dale, so sad. Maybe you could buy that place for a song if it is going into foreclosure.

I thought that was your job, I didn't now it was a hobby.

My variegated clivia would get mealy bugs and they were impossible to even get to since they would get way down between the tight leaves. I used the Bayer Tree and Shrub. It is a systemic which with just 1 dosing will work up to 1 year. I haven't seen a mealy in months!

I hope you find an even better place!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

I've been away most of July and just came across this thread. What a shock it was reading the title! I'm glad to know that you will still be here with us on Daves. I don't post a whole lot, mostly in the winter when I'm not outside or too busy with the kids, but you opened my eyes to the vastness of coleus varieties. Plus you are so full of information and are always so kind. I've learned so much reading your posts. And your photos are beautiful!
I'm sorry you're having to change locations and "up-root" yourself and all of your plants. And it doesn't sound like you've got a lot of help there either. I hope your sales are going well though. I wish I was there. Your coleus would be one of the ONLY reasons I'd go to Florida in July or August!

Keep the pictures coming! (Do you have a photo of a coleus that's chartreuse and purple!)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Kell,

I don't really feel that sad, more like relieved. It was a lot of work and I didn't receive any support from the retailers. I did enjoy every minute I was there, but, the expense (time & money) made it a very expensive hobby. I need a hobby closer to home.

Catherine,

I was hoping to infect you (& everyone) with a uncontrollable love of coleus. Lucky you...only mildy infected. I guess you live too far north.
-----------------------------------------
I went out and bought myself all the tools and a few supplies to restart my stained glass lamp hobby. One of the things I studied in my 9 years at various colleges was Studio Art. I wasn't very good at the high brow stuff, but, I did learn to make patterns for windows and lamps.

I will have to go thru my photos when I unpack and post a photo of one of the lamps.

Everyone is gonna get a big cutting of Tiny Toes>

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Buying property thats owned by the bank is a risky business and a long process.
Hope when you land in another place you'll find something rewarding.
Glass worl sounds nice
Good Luck.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

You will probably love getting back into stained glass. I have lots of scrap glass with the intention of trying it out and also doing mosaic work. I did some stepping stones and containers & pots with stained glass that are fun. I just bought a glass kiln so I can use up some of the scraps and try my hand at fusing/slumping. Just need to get the plants organize to find time to learn how to use the kiln. LOL

Your poor subconscious mind is probably packed to overflowing with colors and shapes. Once you get some glass pieces done, you'll surely post for us to see? And perhaps you'll do some pieces incorporating coleus? lol.

No watering, no bugs!

Cheers,

Melissa

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

I fuss glass when I can get access to a kiln. Here's a sample of a combination of my two hobbies. Just one of my "chrysanthemums". Please show us a stain glass coleus if you decide to make one. Wouldn't that be so very beautiful!!!! (And a lot of cutting. ^_^) Your coleus could live on and on, tons of colors and patterns, and pest free!!! I know, it's not the same... but they would still be beautiful.

Thumbnail by 3gardeners

Those are beautiful. Hopefully, someday I can turn out things like that. Too bad you're not closer. I would trade lessons for kiln time. LOL

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks. You're really kind, and generous with your praise. But I don't want to change the focus of the thread. I just would LOVE to see some stained glass coleus! There's lots of glass info. and photos over in the "Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Discussion Forum". They just decided for some reason to not include "Glass Arts" in the title. LOTS of info. at the beginning of the forum, which wasn't too very long ago. I can point you to some of the info. threads if you're interested. Just d-mail me. :-)

Wingate, MD(Zone 7b)

Dale... I would love to have a box of your coleus if possible. I will send whatever the postage is you need to send. Please let me know.

Thanks Peg

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

What a long day. I was so glad when the thunder & rain started, perfect excuse to go home. I took the plastic off the hoop house this last weekend. It cost over $300, I am going to keep it in storage in case I find a use for it someday.

Thanks Pirl and Taj for the postage money.

These are the folks that are going out next Monday>

Bailey, Brady, Braun, Cockrell, Johnson, Long, Major, Moder, Rentmeister.

I could not fit the plugs into the boxes, they would have been cut back to nubs, they are so overgrown. Might just as well send cuttings. Everyone got at least 25 different coleus. Depending on the size of the stock plants - some I only got one cutting per person, some as many as three.

I started at one row and just worked my way to the end. Then the 2nd row.....to the end. Etc.

This next weekend is the 'open to the public' plant sale. I am going to post signs on the hiway a couple miles up, in both directions. It will be interesting to see who drifts in. I am going to get the giant dolly out and move a couple 25 gallon Banana, a 20 gallon Tibouchina and a 15 gall Croton up to the road to act as beacons.

Is this Stella Red or Starry Nights, I can't tell then apart in the heat of summer>

I am very excited to see mine and proove that an Arizona Gal can grow Florida coleus in spite of this heat from h***.

Dale, thank you so much for being so generous with us and taking the time to pick coleus for us. I wish I could fly in for the sale.....wow would it be cool!

This message was edited Aug 4, 2009 3:29 PM

Regardless of the name the edge on it is beautiful.

I realize you said that sending plants, donating and selling would be a relief but I'd imagine it's a bit painful as well. I hope the people coming to your sale will give them good homes.

Dale,
Do you suggest we root the cuttings right into soil, using a rooting compound or a water method to get them going?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Directly in soil.

Shameless at the bottom, almost everyone is getting one or more of this gal>

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Sorry I missed the give away, but much sorrier that this whole housing thing has been so hard on you - I hope you've been able to stash away a little cash for a consolation prize or two! I hope you find a wonderful home, Dale. Thanks for all the inspiration and eye candy.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

You're killin' me! I wish I had seen this thread right away! I want them all! Dale, you're "Shameless" with you're coleus thumb! Just kidding -- I wanted to find a way to use that coleus' name. ;-)

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Whatever you send Dale will be a gorgeous collection, I'm sure. Hope your sale is hugely successful this weekend! You're going to need that vacation after all this extra work.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I like to stay busy. And I am Shameless...about coleus.

Anyone need a few hundred board feet of pressure treated lumber?

Jacksonville, FL

Dale--I could use the lumber but I doubt you could ship in in a flat rate box!!! LOL! Yes you are shameless about coleus and have been an enabler to many!!!

Dale,
Dmail me with the size and price of the lumber.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Budgie, it is out at the greenhouse. I am expecting you Sat. morning! I was going to use it to bridge the ends of the greenhouse. There is enough to frame in one end (16' by 30').
Some of those 2x4's are 16' long.

Thanks to Goldfinch (generous, I can always use gas money) and Booplants - got your checks in the mail today.

It is overcast and drizzling here in Tampa - I knocked off early. I can always use a nap.

And I will remind everyone again, these cuttings will need a bug bath when you get them. I know I didn't get every bug off them. There won't be very many, but, those critters out number me.

What product would you recommend?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

The same product you would use to kill aphids or any kind of soft bodied insect.

I use Triacide, it is long lasting and cheap - HD or Lowe's has it.

I already have Insecticidal Soap. Would that work?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I believe it will.

Thank you.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks stplong, kathjo and gessieviolet, got your checks.

Everyone should be receiving a clipping of>

Dale, thank you for a super fabulous, fantastic, unbelievable package of cuttings. They are superb.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Pirl

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oopsie Dale... think we had a mix up in the box size... I thought we agreed on the $11.00 box... no big deal though... thanks for the great choices

but it worked out good your shipment and Jada's both came today.. had my hands full

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

out of all those... these are the only ones I had already... you guys did real good... thanks again!

Thumbnail by onewish1
Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Dale,
So glad it got there! I'm excited!

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

I received my box today. It felt like Christmas! I had a ball looking at each one then potting it. It was like a neverending box of cuttings!! What fun...This has got to be one of the most generous gifts from one gardener to another. I thank you ever so much Dale for the coleus and the amazing sense of wonder I felt going through all of them. :)

I felt the same way - just like Christmas in August. I washed every single one of them and rinsed them. They're safe tonight and they'll get potted up tomorrow. What a great experience!

Y'know, this is sending me off to Crotonland....

Thumbnail by

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.