Time to call it quits - need coleus cuttings?

Did you all just wash them or give them a bath in something to rid any bugs that Dale spoke about?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I like Crotons too>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I didn't have anything to dip them in ... I just washed mine off

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

I never even saw the First bug. I just admired...potted....watered....and became hypnotized with all the variety and beauty. This morning they are looking all perky and happy.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I gave mine a good bath with Insecticidal Soap. Then I rinsed them.

Thanks everyone. Can't wait for mine to arrive...I think I'm in next weeks shipment.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Next Monday, Boo.

Tiny Toes

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Dale,
I'll see you tomorrow am, map in hand. LOL

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Got mine yesterday. Quit the box full! I was tired when I got home from work and a quick shopping trip. I went through them quickly, isolated about 3 with mealy bugs, will give all an Insecticidal Soap soak and pot them up today with rooting hormone.
Nice collection, Dale. You are a great DG buddy.

PS: I don't say "thank you" I'm a bit superstitious in that gardening aspect, they say if you do the plants won't grow.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I will be there, with my hand out.....lol

Bring your trailer, we are gonna load you up.

I am very fond of Apocalypse>

Sorry but my lil old green pickem up will have to do. LOL

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Hope it is a full ton model...

No
Unfortunately it is an S-10 :-(

Huntersville, NC

oh me
Dale - remember me?

i am interested. i got a new plant stand already delivered and the pots are waiting for your package.

hope im not too late . . .

any house plant will do . . .Coleus is good.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

50Glee,

Yes, you have been on the list for many days. You were one of the first to contact me.

You owe me $11.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Here they are today.......First picture...

Thumbnail by PamelaQ
Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Second picture.....

Thumbnail by PamelaQ
Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

And the Third too show them all.................See how many!!!

Thumbnail by PamelaQ
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pretty weeds you got there.

Huber Heights , OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Dale ,

I have a question for you, what is the difference from strawberry drop and trailing strawberry, I have them side by side and see no difference.

Thanks, Patrick

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I never did either Stp

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

I'm fond of Apocalyse too. Its being overgrown but is peeking out the middle.

Thumbnail by jadajoy

Dale
Out of all those cuttings you sent this is my favorite. It was just a little piece but is so different from any coleus I have seen.do you know what it is?

This is a bad pic but hope you can id it.

Thumbnail by jadajoy
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Patrick,

I think they are the same plant. People shorten the names. Most correctly it should be called Trailing Strawberry Drop. I have a sport of it that is much more 'richly' colored...it will be in your box. Everyone got a piece or two of my sport.

Jada,

You will have to let that one grow for awhile before I am sure, but, I think that is an un-named coleus, grown from seed.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Dale, Im sorry to hear about your tragedy, might be a blessing in disguise. Look at how many people's garden you are enriching....... Good luck to you. hope it all works out well for you. I have enjoyed looking at your pictures. I have some coleus rooting now, cant wait to plant them. This was just the inspiration I need to get to getting........

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

looks like your topiary is almost there Dale

Thanks Dale

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Best of luck, Dale.

Love your topiary of India Frills. I noticed the leaves getting large on you. The same happened here and they got up to 3" long and lost their bright color and went mainly to the purple in the center. After that, mine died. Coleus sure have their own minds.

Take care and you will have 'Happy Growing" no matter where you are.

Hap

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi!
This morning I saw what looks like baby ladybugs on one coleus. It's hard to get a close up but here is a picture. What do you think?

Thumbnail by PamelaQ

That topiary is amazing...I wish coleus didn't break off so easily (broke two this morning, moving another plant) but it usually grows fuller.

I am going to try a topiary!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pebble,

Not a tragedy - change. Life is change, that's what makes us different from the rocks.

Happy 1,

Thanks, I am sure everything will be different - and for me that will be better.

Boo,

You will have several potential topiary in the box.

Pamela,

My eyesight hasn't been very good....for about the last 20 years. I couldn't see anything in the photo. We do have ladybugs here tho.

07-49, isn't she lovely>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

As I was making up the last 9 boxes this morning I counted the cuttings as I put them in one of the boxes - 145 - in the first box this morning. I used the smaller sized cuttings this time, Last time I was sending big cuttings, but, I have run out of big cuttings.

I counted the different types of coleus that I have, I got up to 149 before I lost count. And I thought I had about 75-100. At least a third of them are sports or seed grown - not the named ones we buy mail order.

It is my hope that there will be some saved over the winter and that next spring there will be a trading frenzy going on around here!

I will always send you anything you need, Dale!

Well, just got home from Dales a bit ago. Got my cuttings and bought a truck load of empty pots trays which I desperately needed.
now I need to go pot up my cuttings. Thanks Dale.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Boo, you are the most likely person to keep them all going - AZ has warm, mild winters compared to most of the US. Do you realize that you are going to get 70-80 new varieties? Your going to need pots, trays and soil. They should be there Wed or Thrus. They are boxed, all I have to do is seal them up and put the labels on.

--------------------

Budgie, I expect to see you again soon...I got a lot of stuff I want to unload on you. Do you think you might want the Coleus Topiaries if they don't sell? I wouldn't want to see them perish.

-----------------

Lady Gardener, Got you check today, thanks (money is never cursed).

Dale, yes I would love them. Just let me know when all is said and done.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW Dale, I had no idea I was getting that many! I will get the trays prepared tomorrow......I am so excited!!! All Ineed is some insecticide...I have everything else.

Since it's so hot right now do you think keeping them in the shade is oka....or will I need to give them morning sun? It's 100 degrees usually by 9:00am.

Maybe I can be the coleus giver in a year or two......passing along your generosity!

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Dale, sorry to hear you are getting out of the business, but I understand how things change. Life has been changing for me also, I hardly have time to garden anymore, cause of having to babysit my grandson.

It's so nice of you to share those beautiful coleus with these good people, I know they will share them back to you, if ever you need them. I'm gonna try to get a few from Leeperk (Linda) in the future, whenever I get to spend time in the yard again.

Hope to see you again at a future Roundup. : )
~Lucy

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Lucy,

I sent out a lot of cuttings from the seed grown ones that Lorine gave me too. She had great luck with her seed, they are beauties. At least I think there were from Lorine, or was it Linda? I think your Mom and Dad should have used other letters of the alphabet, besides the L.... lol

Boo,

Shade or they will have a quick death in the desert, they are unrooted cuttings.

What, pray tell, is the best source for seed, and the best variety?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.