Time to call it quits - need coleus cuttings?

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Dale, I'm not one of the 'L sisters', just a good friend that lives close to all of them. : ) They are good people, and love to grow beautiful flowers. They have, kinda of adopted me, tho. lol : ) Oh, and they do have sisters who names start with an I and S, too.
Have a wonderful day. : )
~Lucy

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Gee Lucy,
All this time I thought you'll were blood sisters too! LOL

No Jan, LOL, I just play one on here.
I was adopted and have no brothers or sisters. I do have 2 half brothers and 6 half sisters from my biological mother and father, who were not married to each other...if that counts. LOL

We should start a new thread "As the DG Turns" LOL

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Halves count.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

1/4 cousins too.

Oh, dale, I love that picture of the coleus, and the begonia. Looks really good together. : )

I'm not even gonna try to figure out who might be a 1/4 cousin of mine. LOL : )

Thanks Dale. Now, one last question (for now anyway).

I can root them in the house but it's a cool 76 degrees in my house....seems like that might be hard to acclumate them to outdoors. What's your opinion?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Lucy, we all have some common ancestors.....if you go back far enough.
===============
Boo, outside, shade, as humid as you can make it.
===============
Can you tell the difference between these two?....pretty close.

Got it Dale,
Thanks!

Cheese, one is scraggly around the edges, and the other is clear cut.

Your post: #6926079 is a reason to believe.

Dale, it was my plants from seed, not going to let Linda [lee-perk] take credit!!! Good to see you on Lucy, I have missed you!!! Lorine

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Lorine, I will never be able to keep folks screen names and their given names connected. That is why I use the my real name, with a handle.

I knew I had gotten them from from you. And I and keeping most of the ones you grew for myself.

I am going to end up dumping all the ones I got from RD, Gebhart's and Color Farm -- I can always order them again or trade for 'em.

"Dear Lord, Please protect me from ever having a large greenhouse!"

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Why?

After living in Rochester, NY, I consider my whole yard a greenhouse and it is loved....

At the present time, I am waiting til it gets a little cooler so I can really garden and my coleus get to the right colors.

Hap

it IS intersting the heat cause the coleus to be so faded...especailly here in Phoenix. But by fall they perk up and the new colors look beautiful!

Dale, I hope they do well for you. Mine are at a standstill if they are not trying to bloom. It is so hot only the ones that are getting some shade look good! Oh well it will be cool soon!!
Lorine

Hey Lorine, I need to get by to see your coleus and other flowers,...soon. Maybe I can do it this week sometime, I have a couple days off from babysitting. I've missed you, too. : )

Yeah, you ought to do that. Everthing is kinda overgrown & just wilting from the heat. Would love to see you!!!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Mission accomplished.

All the boxes were posted at 11:30 today.

I'm done...send me my money. lol

Orchid>

your a good guy Dale,
Come for dinner tonight.....lol.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2009 7:36 PM

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks for your hard work getting these out to us Dale

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I might suggest to everyone - soak these cuttings in water overnight (after their bug bath) to perk them up.

I took some cuttings on Sunday for cut 'flowers' for my desk at home. Most were fine after they sat in the vase for a couple hours.....however.....some stayed wilted.

I submerged them in a bucket of water last night & they are nice and perky this morning.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Can't wait to get my package from you Dale! Thanks for the advice about soaking them. How long should they bathe in the bug bath first?

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

I have to say the cuttings were very healthy. i put some of mine directly in perlite and they never wilted at all. i have some in water lining my kitchen sill, ran out of room, and they already are growing roots.i have two overcrowed flats, the front walkway has many and i have a bowl w/water with more to put in pots later. I am overjoyed!

Don't worry Dale. You will be blessed for your generosity.

Joyce

Pray tell, what heat is too hot? 90*, 95*, 115*?? Daytime temps, I mean. I have 90 and 80, high and low. Too hot?

Melissa
Talk about too hot? The heat index here yesterday was 105. Today it is higher.

I grew up in Northern Virginia. All summer, everyone complained "It's hot!" All winter everyone complained, "It's cold!" I decided to choose one to like, and only complain half the year. I love to swim, so I decided I liked summer. Then I found out that I didn't HAVE TO live in Virginia, what a revelation! And I ran off to a place I call here.

I mean, the 'hot' that makes Coleus go pale.

My new babies!

Thumbnail by
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Different looking coleus, there, molamola!! LOL

Hap

Pray tell Molamola,
That must have been tiresome knowing everyone in Virginia and having them all complain to you about the weather. What must they all be doing, now that you are gone?

I'm glad I don't live in Northern Virgina either or some tourist trap.

I'm sorry I misunderstood your post. I forgot English was your second language.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

So....

Anyone know the screen name of Christine First?

I got another check today, but, don't know who to mark as paid.

That leaves two more...

Christine First = Ladygardener1

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks Jan

LOL, jadajoy, could I ever tease you. Don't get all hot because one person you don't know, and will probably never meet, dislikes a place, OK?

Hap, Yes, my grafting experiments with the green coleus went bad! All deformed, haha.

And Dale, a garden of buildings? What town is that?

Thats the point Mola. I don't know you, so when you discredit a place and I happen to live there, well,...dem is fighting words. Maybe you should be more careful about what you say, Ok?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

MolaMola,

It is San Francisco CA. I will be vacationing there at the end of this month.

This is too>

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sorry Dale, and budgielover gets the thumbs up for IDing me.
CF

LOL

Dale,
when I saw the second photo of MOLA MOLA I was so inspired! This is exactly what I want to do on my side yard...big steps with grass.

Have fun in Sf...one of my favorite cities in the US!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I lived in SF for 14 years. I think of it as going home, finally.

One of my jobs in Napa Valley>

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.