Flower pix part #4

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luv the Little Rocket edder!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

This is the first and only peony-flowered poppy I have ever been able to get to germinate much less flower. May be from seeds I set out over 2 yrs ago.

Thumbnail by greenjay
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Lilies and purple shiso. We are using purple shiso in most of our flower beds this year to provide support for leaning plants and a nice background for high-colored flowers like these lilies

Thumbnail by greenjay
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Centerfold Lilies

Thumbnail by greenjay
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Rudbeckia & penstemon, lavender in the background

Except for the lavender, this is the result of self-seeding over 3 yrs.

Thumbnail by greenjay
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Golddust lilies and Pink Lemonade Honeysuckle. These are the tallest things in the whole garden (+ 8' tall)

Thumbnail by greenjay
Santa Fe, NM

Very, very pretty! I like the shiso, don't know about it. The background planting contributes so much to the over-all look. Good example, Greenjay.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

shiso is an easy self-seeder. Each plant produces about a billion seeds, and when we do the fall cleanup we lay the seedheads down in the areas where we want it to grow next yr. Then when they sprout, since they are a dark purple it is easy to edit them out where they don't belong.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luvly poppy. I don't have shisho and it's beautiful!!! I am going to put it the herb bed. Do you eat it greenjay?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

i could eat it, but I don't care for the licorice flavor
i think the seeds are even more fragrant, and might be a nice addition to potpourri

Santa Fe, NM

I'm going to have to try that.

Santa Fe, NM

Datura picture taken near down town. The plant was Huge.

Thumbnail by roybird
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have been taking pics but busy, busy with the patio still. Had to post this for mulch though. This is a new one that I started in the greenhouse which is why it's ahead of the rest who are still in budling stage.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

And have to post this for everyone. This Pacific Giant delph is making me laugh. The lower edge of the garden shed roof is 6 feet tall.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2009 6:18 PM

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Very very nice! I would laugh too, and may just do that. ;-)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

HOLY CRAP! That is a tall delphinium!!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL... that IS tall!

Santa Fe, NM

That is a giant! Very pretty. Everything here is getting toasted. Apparently our rainy June meant rainless July. The lilies are coming and going fast!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

The new Green Eyed Triangle lily opened today! See why they call it that?

Thumbnail by roybird
Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

I like that one...just don't know where to put one right off hand though...

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

LOL! I do, if I had one to put. ;-)

My birdbath consists of two ceramic flowerpot saucers - one very large and one a bit smaller. The large one sits on top of the smaller one which is upside down to use as the base. It's low to the ground and looks nice. Pretty ceramic pot saucers are cheap (the pots are not).

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Neat idea!

Santa Fe, NM

Here is a detail picture of the rim on the metal bird bath.

Thumbnail by roybird
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh how pretty!

Santa Fe, NM

Thanks. It fit the stand perfectly. And cost $10. The stand was $3. I love 2nd hand stores.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

me too. ;-)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

What a humongous delphinium! Are you related to Jack in the Beanstalk by any chance?

Poppies, always love to see them. Mine are still blooming. The big rectangle is starting to dwindle, but the one segment I got planted in the big round is just getting going. This is late here for poppies, but so much rain and cool weather in June kept them slower.

Tomatoes are turning nicely red all over the place in the hoop house. ;-)

But, back to summer hectic with the gallery and my grandson here...

Santa Fe, NM

Here is a type of sage that is supposed to be very xeric. I may have a better picture somewhere.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Hi, Mulch. I was just mentioning the sage to Dparsons on his new project thread. It is ball sage or globe sage or something like. It has waxy leaves, strong scent. Ultra-sagey. For me it is not growing fast but slowly getting bigger. The color in the photo is pretty much true for the somewhat shady morning where it sits. Or stands. Need my coffeee. Anyway, I want to get more of this sage.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O xeric AND it's a very prettiful sage . Name please roybird when you think of it.

Santa Fe, NM

I was at High Country Gardens today looking for more of that sage and what I found was Salvia pachyphylla "Blue Flame", zone 5-9. It is Giant purple sage. I think the one I already have is a different variety but close. I bought 2 of the "Blue Flame". Full sun, xeric, etc. I also bought a 50% off geranium and another little New Mexico agastache.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

OH. That would explain a lot, if Dnut was part of the Beanstalk family.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

As in "Jack-In....."?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

That's the one. Mulch asked her about it a few posts up.

Santa Fe, NM

It's a bean stalk delphinium.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My newly named Pacific 'Beanstalk' delphs average 6 -7 feet in that spot. They are in clayey soil in 1/2 day shade. They are not as lush as they would be with more sun but then I would have to water them more. I have no idea what's with the one heading for Pluto. Maybe it's an asteroid homing beacon? Mulch are you coming to visit?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Nice Sage roybird. I found Salvia dorii or Grey Ball Sage here:
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=photos_flora_com&enlarge=0024+3291+1997+0050

I have one specimen grown from seed that I haven't planted yet. I have several of the S. pachyphylla planted, just not the 'Blue Flame' version. It is very similar to the S. dorii. They both like dry heat.

Santa Fe, NM

I planted two of the "Blue Flame" this morning and another agastache. The hummingbirds like the flowers on the sage very much. They show some interest in the echinacea which is finally having a good year due to all the June rains. Not to mention the Huge rain we had last night! It looks like we'll get more today, too. Very needed and appreciated. Cooled us off. Did you get it, Dave?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Yes, we had a nice rain last night. It came down gently for a couple hours. I checked the soil and it had soaked nicely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.