Divine socks, auras, spinning, and other assorted chatter

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

you know I'm just joshin you claire..

I have 3 sheep.. and alpine,pygmy and nubian goats.. and none will drink from a mud puddle. Thats how Mike tells if the animals are spoiled, ours walk past mud puddles and whine cuz they have no water!

(Zone 7b)

You want something that will drink from a mud puddle get ducks they will drink and play in it too.
Mine come running every time i turn on the faucet and they dirty up the dogs water i have to clean it twice a day from them making mud pies around the outside of it LOL

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

You could always get a hairy dog, mine has great fiber. So does my friends husky. I wish I had bagged it up after I groomed him for her.. Claire would have loved it. As it is it looks like a dog exploded in my yard.

Thumbnail by wren107
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

LOL Wren! Too funny picture. It does look like a dog exploded, or maybe a bunny. Tee hee.

Greykyttyn - it's easy to get them confused, especially when they are little. Visitors to the farm here have asked why we keep the sheep in with the goats (in reference to the angora goats) and they are so surprised to learn that the white curly things are goats. Others have seen my bottle lamb and said what a cute baby goat. It can be a trick to tell them apart sometimes. :-)

Clarkson, KY

lolol, wren....animal cops are gonna be after you!! It DOES rather look like a dog exploded in the vicinity....

Clarkson, KY

woops. crosspost.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I love the simplicity of that photo.. what a nice pic... It leaves the viewer wondering.. who was there, what happened.. you didn't even leave the tools behind for a hint. I would enter it into a composite photo contest.. makes you stare and question.

Harm, I don't really want them to drink from the mud puddles, I just find it amazing they will die of thirst.. sand pouring from thier veins before they would bend a lick the ground.

Clarkson, KY

They are avoiding worms and other unhygienic things, perhaps...probably some instinct there to go for clearer, deeper water.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

such smart andimuls!

Claire, has anyone told you sachets of lavender help keep "unwanteds" out of your stored fiber.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Yup! I use quite a bit of it, but I also store a lot of my roving in ziploc baggies. However, these big bags will be harder so I think the lavender sachets will work better for that. Nature gives us pretty much everything we need....marvelous isn't it?!

(Zone 7b)

Ha~Ha~Ha~Ha~Ha Wren and exploding dog Ha~Ha~Ha

Frans sometimes i wonder if my ducks live on a diet of mud Ha~Ha~Ha~Ha

OOOOOO Socks that smell of Lavender How Divine :~)

You should see the hair when I groom mine. I will have to take a picture. Of course that did not show all the hair on me. I ware black pants and the husky's hair is white. My pants where white after the grooming. LOL

Thumbnail by wren107
Clarkson, KY

Wow. there he stands, seemingly unharmed by the explosion...

My reward for grooming him was his owner weeded some of my flower beds. LOL

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

A little more spinning on Catscan's yarn...

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Lodi, United States

Catscan is appreciative:0)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Moxon is dedicated. :o)

Clarkson, KY

That really is heavenly lookin' stuff....

(Zone 7b)

Just Gorgeous Claire :~)

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

First thought when I saw that pic was someone was preparing dinner.. LOL

(Zone 7b)

Ha~Ha~Ha~Ha~Ha "Dinner"

Richmond, TX

I am really ignorant about the whole spinning process. How/when do you get that gradually blending of colors?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Dinner....wow....like colorful spaghetti! Kind of a weird mouth texture though.

Porkpal - if you look at the 2nd picture that I posted in this thread, you will see the large hunk of unspun fiber hanging off my wheel. That fiber is called "roving" and it's like a long "rope" of fiber ready to be spun. To get those colors, it is dyed or painted. To dye it, usually the person dying it would prepare several small jars of the different colors of dyes, so like a blue and a green and a brown, and then you would take the undyed roving and fold sort of a v-shape and put some into a jar, then make a V into the next jar, and so on, so that the fiber is sitting in all these jars with some bits not in the dye that are between the jars. The bits in the dye wick up the color and the parts that are outside of the dye will get dye taken up into them from the different jars that the ends are in, so that the middle bit gets some green from one side and blue from the other side and sort of makes a blue-green graduated area. Does that make sense?

Painted roving is similar but instead of dying in the jars, you just use a dauber to apply the dye as if you were painting with it,

Here are nice illustrated instructions for the painting process:
http://www.gfwsheep.com/rov.inst/rov.inst.html

Here is a picture (top view) of someone using the jar method.
http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/fitterknitter/376bc7e02362ce03ed8df7f133951db9

Richmond, TX

Yes, Mox, very clear. Thanx.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I am too Porkpal.. and I love how completely Claire teaches us! I know if I could, I would love this whole spinning thing...
someday.. :)

(Zone 7b)

WOW!! The tye dye is so pretty all those lovely colors together like a rainbow :~)

Thanks for the link Claire i really enjoyed learning about the dyeing process the colors are just beautiful!

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

I wonder if you could turn the hair off of a Great Pyrenees into nice yarn? :) The one i know has lots & lots of very long fluffy, soft white hair. I'm sure I could find room for a new puppy.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Yes, I actually have a batt of fiber waiting to be spun that contains GP fur. It is blended with other wool and with alpaca also. Should be fun to spin! Generally dog hair needs to be blended with other wool for a strong, resilient fiber blend that will spin nicely.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

So there's another reason I 'need' this puppy. :o)

....and a goat or two.

Many of the dogs that have double coats have a undercoat that can be spun.

If I can remember to bag up My Andres fur and the husky's I will send it along.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Not to go back to the aura.. but I was sitting here last night.. a commercial comes on.. I was half paying attention.. all I saw was black and white.. but everyone was wearing green socks.. LOL, I thought Claire had taken over the world... I woke up.. only to find out.. I wasn't dreaming.. it was on again today!

http://www.epapsa.com/campaigns/greensox/

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh yes, do go back to the aura! I like the aura! It's part of my plan to take over the world. Whoops, did I say that out loud? here I am again, drinking out of a green plastic glass, drinking lime juice (which is green) and spinning Catscan's green fleece (well, parts of it are green, in my green pajamas, wearing green slippers and projecting my aura.

(Zone 7b)

Green is my favorite color has been all my life as a teen i wore Green Glitter nail polish and Green Nike's I loved those shoes.
I had Green notebook paper in school and still use only Green pads to write on to this day and i have numerous Green pens in my desk.
I collect Green Depression glass and anything Green catches my eye.
My favorite flavor of Jello is lime so i have my favorite flavor and color all in one.
I also belong to a Green Club where we celebrate our love of the color Green.
Researched my history and found out my ancestors came from Ireland so the Green really fits me Irish roots :~)

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Oh a new thread...

I borrowed a laptop at our first stop n California so I could check up on the sock....

Claire, I wish I had your talent... But I am not too proud to admit I dont, so I will leave it up to the ones who know the best.

Porkpal, you are not sulking by yourself, even though I am on the road, I am still your sulking sister...

I do have a question, My horses shed out really when it turns to summer, what can you do with that??

I miss you all, tomorrow we leave to go up north into wine country... Oh the wine and the cheese..

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

too funny on the green... you are gonna have us all thinking green.. Mike was at the store last night and came across a tea jug on clearance.. it came with 6 free plastic glasses.. he is so proud of himself.. he bought 2 sets.. LOL both GREEN!
He came home I yelled at him... "Don't you know I am a yellow?"... he thinks I have lost my mind. lol btw, $1.50 a set.. what a bargin hunter he is.

So I went to farm life forum and blogged our hay baling day... nobody talks over there.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1008138/

(Zone 7b)

After Saint Patty's Day walmart put all their "Beautiful Green" solo cups on clearance I bought them all. LOL

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

While walking down to fishermans wharf tonight for dinner, I found the most awesome Yellow house, only problem no room for the chickens or other assorted critters that are at the ranch... But it sure was pretty...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Don't you just wish you could pick it up and put it in a different spot?!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh MsJester.. You are close aren't you!!?? I'd love to meet you! I'm getting ready for a trip.. but I do hope to be passin through your place someday.. We can house hunt together! :)
I hope you are enjoying your vacation.. Our weather is really nice the last few days!

Hey.. I wonder if I could deliver that house for you!! LOL

Lodi, United States

ZZ. When are you going? You keep saying you are leaving...I get my hankies out to wave, schedule sessions with my psychologist to discuss abandonment issues, drive obsessively past your house, my vision obscured by tears...but you are STILL here.

What gives?:0)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.