Hackberry Trees, etc, #3

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Lychnis x arkwrightii (a dwarf Vesuvius)

Thumbnail by SunnyBorders
Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

OHm I love the Siberian iris and Cheddar pinks, looks like dianthus there too, and garden phlox behind...that's going to be a lovely spot. What color are the phlox?

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Sharon,
Bit dry. Just got back.
Had to go out to water perennials planted earlier in day.
Yes. Phlox to the right. Too much to left. Also need to pull out the mallow.
This is an area where I have clearer records. - Was Phlox David (white; used elsewhere), but replaced it with Peppermint Twist (white on pink, pinwheel). Hope it is the latter. Interesting case. Is a pretty new Dutch cultivar, which I found last year has a tendency to revert back to the parent, Candy Floss (pink and taller). I think there was another report about this, on Dave's. Have reported this to company involved (based on four plants) and even though they take feedback from the Public, received no reply. Don't really care, because like both plants. Have read that they are breeding phlox for flower color and size (smaller plants for smaller gardens). In this case, I don't think they got it quite right.

That happens, I think, when breeders send the plants out before the "breeding" takes. They need to experiment longer to see what it might do.

You know more about genetics than I do, but that seems reasonable to me. In any case as you know, I have met very few flowers/plants that I didn't like.

We had a bit of a rainy day today. I have tons of new daylily blooms but they are all covered in raindrops and so was I when I took the photos. I'll see about posting them here sometime tonight. My phlox are just coming into bloom now, so they will be looking good very soon. So is my crocosimia (think that spelling is wrong, but not looking it up right now.) That plant is not supposed to grow here, but has turned into quite the perennial for me. It is the same as what is on the banner across the top of your home page on DG.

I ran out of soft cat food tonight and had to make a grocery run, otherwise I would have been in real trouble here. All is well now. I can run out of food and make do, the cat's can't.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Sharon - you're a good mother to those cats!
Have to look at my home page more carefully.
Saw crocosmia here, for first time, four or five years ago - Lucifer.
Have used several others as well since. Think I read that it was invasive, but don't feel so here. Corms just get kind of add-ons (I think I read). The few I dug up by mistake, were just kind of double or triple corms. Think it is a very showy plant. Think we had a lovely orange one, not very tall, in London, which is not winter hardy here. Think was called mombretia then.
Like phlox a lot - have named cultivars and 'heritage' ones. I guess the other thing you breed with phlox is mildew resistance. Don't seem to have much problem with mildew on phlox. Think you get mildew on stressed plants, but a free flow of air helps.

Phlox blooms here till very late. A couple of years ago, I still had some blooming in November. They were pretty straggly by then, but I never had the heart to cut them back while blooming. I also have 'bouncing bet', an old type that used to be used for soap. Seems it has saporin in its stem and blooms. It is not much of a lather, but it does work like soap.. The old healers thought it contained healing properties, and when I had polio back in the 40's, my great aunt and my grandmother sat me down in a large dish pan of warm water and bathed my legs in the phlox. They swore it helped me to walk again eventually, but of course I know now that their massaging those leg muscles helped more than anything. Still, they always thought bouncing bet provided the cure. Somewhere I wrote an article about it for DG, but can't remember the name of the article right now, or when it ran. Guess it's on my list though.

I have several colors, a deep red, pinks, purples, and the standard white phlox. Don't have names for them because like many of my plants they are very very old hand-me-downs. I have an abundance of them on the west end of my house, along with several kinds of mentha and a few monarda. The monarda needs more hours of sun, but still seem to like where they are.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Nite Sharon
Going to get to bed
Have painter and floor guy coming around 8 tomorrow.
Hope deck renovation is finished at biggest garden.
Please tell Jazz and Daisy how lucky they are!
Buddy says send some of that soft food this way.
He'll really enjoy, even if Carol does have to clean the carpet.
Charlie

Nite, Charlie, enjoy your tomorrow, and hugs to Buddy!
I think he needs them.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Sharon - always interested to hear what you're growing.
Very interested to hear of your experience with bouncing bet.
Like Monarda a lot - have been using a scarlet one - runs, but very easy to control. Never seen mildew on it, but always put in sun. Mentha is (a) mint?
Back tomorrow.
Charlie

This message was edited Jun 16, 2009 12:04 AM

Here is a rainbow for all of us....had one yesterday and another again today.

Rainbows are good for the soul.

Thumbnail by Sharran
Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Nice colors!
Stimulated to look up Mentha ( - in mint family). Seems we tend to grow Nepeta (catmint group of mints). Siberian mint, particularly nice plant. Quite possible classification has been reorganized. Have tended to avoid mints, as runners, but are some very nice ones.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Warm day - lucky going to rain later in week.
Have to plant several shrubs - thinking might use native shrubs (maybe serviceberry) - went looking in two local garden centre - didn't see any native shrubs at all. Have to look elsewhere tomorrow.
Sharon, you have not just one, but two articles in the current newsletter. Think you can write a lot faster than me!

I have lots of time, Charlie, lots of time and lots of stories to tell.

Sort of like: '.....and miles to go before I sleep...."

They needed to use an extra of my articles to fill in a blank spot last Friday...which gave me two last week. My regular Tuesday article will appear on Friday this week. Then I should be back to normal again. Most of mine were written some time ago, though, I like to get ahead of myself so I have room to breathe, you know?

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Sounds more efficient than me, Sharon.
I tend not to think about the journey or the destination, just the details along the way. Very relaxing, unless you have to get somewhere!
Charlie

So true, my friend.
I am finishing up some writing right now, and am determined to get it completed tonight. If you are still up when I get done, we'll chat, and if not, I hope you have a lovely tomorrow.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Sorry Sharon - went to bed. Things certainly looking up today - going to rain!
Able to do perennial planting.
Had a dozen squirrels at the front yesterday - numbers today. They're actually being useful - eating maple keys. Even the particular nuisance squirrel is helping. Usually they chase each other off, but there are so many maple keys, it looks like a herd of squirrels.
Charlie

Now those words left me with an image of you, whip in hand, herding a horde of squirrels.

New blooms from here today...

Thumbnail by Sharran
Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Sharon, when they saw me they took off in various directions, the most popular being up the tree. Reminded me of things that happened.
In the past we had three cats (Tiny, Flosie and Cotie) and on several occasions (renting an apartment in Toronto and staying in Alexandria, Va) we tried taking them for a walk on leashes. They were quite happy, but they all went in different directions. It proved impossible. One time, when we stopped along the Pennsylvania Turnpike, Flosie ran up a tree, but I didn't let go of the leash, so all was well. Those cats travelled (by car) from Timmins, Ontario, to Washington, D.C. and as long as it wasn't hot (no airconditioning then), they were fine. Pebbles and Buddy only travelled as far as the vets'; not good travellers - as I may have said, Buddy was/is always sick, in transit and used to have a poo too. His behavior at the vet's was/is always quite threatening. They all know him there. Our inclination is to pretend that we've never seen him before.
Love the pictures, Sharon. What a selection of daylilies! When we had a fence at the end of a back garden, we used to cover it with morning glories.
As said, really like phlox. Like pink. Do have one bouncing bet in our garden. Very pretty, but a bit undisciplined.
I know David is not big on irises; reason: their relatively short bloom time. Think you could add that they take up a lot of room and don't like being crowded by other perennials. Suspect that daylilies are a better buy.

Funny imagery, Charlie, poor Buddy, but how funny.

Daylilies are the world's easiest plants, I think. They don't seem to care where they are or if they get much attention. And I love their colors.

Too hot and humid today, mid 90's and sweltering, and it's only June. I needed to weed, but it didn't happen today.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Sympathies Sharon,
Not relaxing to work in hot humidity.
Don't mind sun for a few hours - if dry, but have to force self to wear hat.
One thing today, have been taking up old tulip leaves, two gardens.
They really look a mess and are cutting off the light from other plants.
Then find weeds underneath.
Sharon, don't worry re when you reply - just when you're not busy.
Am finding it good idea to get to bed, early than I like to, as getting a bit tired
from (not of) gardening. During day, find I need to come back after a few hours, especially if hot and humid, for an hour or two. Great time (also evenings) to drop you a line or see what there is from you. Please take the gardening easy (at least to a reasonable extent!), yourself.
Your friend,
Charlie.

No, replying is not a problem at all, and I look forward to hearing about your gardening, too.
Sometimes I think you might get tired of all my daylily pictures.

I do have some lily of the valley plants that my neighbor was getting rid of. I will put them in my white garden on the east end of the house. I'll see if I can find a picture of it. It's really pretty, with Russian sage, chameleon, variegated vinca vine, variegated hosta, and some invasive thing that some call Bishop's weed. Still pretty, even if invasive. It is very shady on that end of the house, and took forever to get anything to grow. So I am happy with my invasive white garden, it really is barely invasive in all that shade.

I'll look for a photo.

Yes it is good to get enough rest with all the gardening we do these days. I get involved in writing at night, and forget the time, and that becomes a real problem on hot days, since if I sleep late it is too hot to get outside. Gotta strike a happy medium.

So good night if you are going to have an early evening. You can see the photo another time.

Here you are, white garden...and I forgot to mention sedum.

Thumbnail by Sharran

Also euphorbia in it...

Another view

Thumbnail by Sharran
Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Sharon - never bored with your pictures, particularly the daylilies. Think you're a very good influence on me in terms of emphasizing the real value of daylilies in a perennial garden. I likewise hope I don't bore yourself or others with too many pictures from gardens. It could be like hogging all the conversation. I tend to be a bit fanatical with details.
Interesting to see and hear about your white garden. The shade is definitely
a factor in plant choice. See you have it hemmed in on one side with a wall.
Use similar approach myself. As said, red turtlehead is a bit invasive in a moist location. Have it hemmed in by a wall and it's easy to maintain.
David is very fond of variegated plants. Use them, when can. You may know, but they are often weaker than non-variegated forms (less photosynthesizing) so they tend to be less invasive.
What is that bluey, lacy (fern?)(the Russian sage?) on the right side of the second picture? Together, the plants make a pretty combination.
Back tomorrow.
Nite, Charlie

Yes, it is the Russian sage, it gets woody and must be cut back in order to retain its fullness.

So have a good evening, Charlie, and I'll look forward to more of your pictures tomorrow.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Tim planted Russian sage at cottage, as said to be deer resistant. That's where I saw it. Raining - great, for planting. Small problem with tall iris.
Deadheading and rain broken.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

But still lots if iris!

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Love this light salmony pink one - Heritage - Possibly Beverly Sills?
Came from School garden.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Getting a fair bit of mileage from pinks - grow fast and looks great second year in new bed/planting- this is Firewitch (very clump forming).
Sharon, as said don't want to bore anyone with too many garden pictures.
Know you're very thoughtful, but please let me know if enough is enough.
As said, love to see details, and aspects, and problems in, and beautiful plants (e.g. your lovely daylilies) from other gardens. Also interested in weeding problems. Don't know enough about weeds yet, but David is right about hoeing, as an efficient way of dealing with many types of weeds. Old fashioned hoe is much better design for this than modern one. Maybe newer design is better for vegetables?

Never too many pictures, I'll just start a new thread if it gets difficult for anyone to load. I love the pinks, beautiful. And I don't have any of them. That will go on my 'get' list.

I too have an old hoe for weeding. I never did pick up a new one, so I don't know if there is a difference.

I know I mention daylilies too often, but it is a whole new show every morning, and I can't resist. But it is already 94 and climbing out there, so I had to come back inside. Here are today's new blooms.

Thumbnail by Sharran
Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Sharon,
You do not, not, not mention daylilies too much. The images you send of them are absolutely beautiful. The idea is to keep sending them, while they are flowering. Actually, winter would also be a good time too! We'll remember how beautiful the perennials are and forget the weeding. I like color, as you. How can you get enough color?
The temperature sounds aweful. Apparently, we've had a third less rain, so far in June, than we normally do. Yesterday made up for it. Extremely useful.
What about your temperatures and watering?
Charlie

We are under a heat advisory for tomorrow. Wayyyy tooo much, tooo soon! It is to be 98 with a heat index of 105. Never ever has it been this hot this soon.

So far this week, we have had thunder showers in the evening, and I have had to water very little. However none are predicted for tonight, so I just came in from watering. The daylilies will be fine, it doesn't bother them. But the potted plants need water, and evening is best. Morning watering will just evaporate in the heat.

Yes, we'll remember in the winter.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

David was pointing out how different some things about gardening here are, compared to gardening in England. A big one is when you water. If they watered in the evening, they would be contributing to mildewing, or the like. It's the same here at summer temperatures, as you say where you are. If we/you water in the morning, we/you lose a lot of it to evaporation. His gauge for watering is, if the plants wilt during the heat of the day, OK. If they are still wilting in the evening, it's time to water.
Probably like you, find numbers of plants tend to do fine during dry spells,
typically the ones you read as OK for dry conditions, e.g. find coreopsis and gaillardia. Only been using daylilies for a couple of years, as said, so don't have much experience with them. Great to hear you say they are fine in dry periods.
Thunder showers sound useful, as long as they don't beat plants down. I have the most obvious things staked already e.g. giant bell flowers, which I use a lot of.
Same experience with potted plants as you - hanging ones most of all.
The gardener has go to be a bit careful in that heat too!
Wonder if it's going to be a hot summer, where you are, if you have these temperatures now.

The climate is changing....so I have no idea what summer will bring.
Sometimes I feel that I might need to head south (er) to get out of this heat!

But I think it's the extremes more than anything else that is the biggest change. We had little or no spring.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Summer climate here quite a shock to visiting British relatives. Found the summer humidity very uncomfortable during my first year in Toronto. We typically don't tend to have a much of a spring. Fall here is long and the most comfortable time of the year, which is one of the reasons I like fall perennials a lot. Was always a pity, returning to school after the summer, knowing there wouldn't be much time to enjoy the fall garden.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Off to bed,
Nite Sharon,
Back Tomorrow,
Charlie

Have a good Friday, Charlie!

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Sharon,
Off to the King City garden, then physiotherapist's (just arthritis).
Hope your weather cools. We're in for rain (Saturday - also Fraternity barbecue), then quite high humidity next week.
Charlie

Charlie, I am so jealous, you get to visit all the good places (not the physiotherapist)!

I hope we see pictures upon your return.
Have a good day.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Really like the physiotherapist. She's very knowledgeable and very sensible.
She also upgrades my anthropological past: includes functional anatomy and palaeopathology (lots of evidence of arthritis in the bones).
Maintain this garden, which I renovated a number of years ago, on an hourly basis. Much less pressure than my two contract gardens. Main reason is I just have to do what satisfies the (very nice) customer and not what satisfies me! On the other hand, I find it more difficult to maintain a smaller perennial garden than a larger one, even though it is takes far fewer hours.
Just got there - main work at this time, weeding and staking.
The hosta was there before I renovated the garden, but the customer wanted it reduced by about two thirds. The original garden was done by Pathways to Perennials, the only major local perennial gardening business. I really agree with the customer that they put in some very boring plants and she was told that they won't visit a property for less than $1000! If I did the garden on a contract basis, I would be adding plants all the time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.