Hackberry Trees, etc, #3

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

We are talking about hackberries, ivy, violets, and other such beautiful beasts, along with pets and plants and whatever you might have to share with us. Venting is OK, too.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/986578/

After having spent an entire day fighting English ivy that suddenly took over my world, and roses that rambled all over my yard, and daylilies that multiplied like rabbits while I was away for a week, I just went out and bought more.

But, except for Monarda, all else will remain in pots. Ha, that's what I said about my ivy a few years ago, too, and it has remained in pots, but the rains came and then the sunshine, and it decided since I was not watching, it'd take off on its own. But I finally won the battle. Ivy is back where it belongs. Now for the roses.

My son put a new hanger up for me over the weekend, and it is in a spot that is part red brick and part dark cedar, so I got a huge pot of coral pink petunias just for color. Looks good too, and no doubt you will see a picture soon.

Then for another spot I got vining sweet potato, a mixed basket of mint green and dark red, so another photo for you. It has lots of trailing space. With that, I found a variety of coleus, and will plant them in existing pots that contain caladium and vining variegated vinca. I think now, if I can conquer the remaining weeds, I'll stop my plant purchases. My gardens have been gradually increasing in size over the years, so there is no more room anyway. It's time to stop when your gardens interfere with travel.

And so it goes....

Thumbnail by Sharran

And in addition, my lawn care guy finally showed up 2 weeks late and cut my knee high grass. I tried to be nice.....

Thumbnail by Sharran
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Your baskets are great, Sharon. Got these coleus from the co-op as bitty babies. Had just planted them in this nursery pot when my life changed. They are about to push each other out. Must find a home for them tomorrow.

Christi

Thumbnail by LouC

Hi Christi,
Yours are very much like what I got, but I also got a black, along with a mottled one that I think was called calico. A nice mix. I love them together like that. I'll take a photo when mine get a little bigger, they are in pots in front, large ones so need to grow into the pots before posing for photos.
Forgotten the names of the individuals, but think I did keep the tags.

I have so much more to do tomorrow, but at least my yard looks very good. It is a good thing, because I was very close to harming the mower kid.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Love your hanging baskets, Sharon and your attractive selection of coleus, Christi.
Going to try to send this, but not sure it will go - this time, problem is with change in internet providers (old company bought).

Hmmmmmm.....what am I waiting for Sunny.....???
Intrigue is building...
Curiosity...

Patience is not my virtue.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Wow, it worked. Spent the whole late afternoon and evening trying to get the E-mail output working. Couldn't use the help lines, automated and it kept taking us as somebody else. Think it's to do with very similar land-line telephone number (us) and cell phone number (other person). Various other problems, some resolved. Some not.
Been very wet today, but planting is proceeding.
Know what Sharon is saying about not enough room in one's own garden for more plants. Been eyeing a purple cone flower hybrid called 'Tomato Soup'. Must say I don't find the name very appealing, but color is nice. Too tall for a hanging pot!
Like the sound of coral pink.
Will try coleus - very interesting leaf colors and patterns.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

We were getting a bit annoyed. Raced to the store (didn't return our call) just before closing time. We'd just had it with the automated help line (actually three different ones) - it took it for granted that we were using a 'pay-as-you-go cell phone' and we weren't.

I love coleus, and there is another DG writer named Jadajoy who wrote several really good coleus articles within the past year. She got me more hooked on the plant than I had been earlier. Her articles are good, and her writing style is enjoyable. Plus she is very informative.

Glad your computer is working well.

I dislike....really hate....having to call a helpline. Most of the time I get someone, if I get a real person at all, who speaks a language that might as well be gibberish, and I can't for the life of me understand him.

I guess he thinks the same of me.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

We're getting more and more of the fully automated ones. You can't ask questions, only make choices - kind of multiple choice. The Provincial Government tends to go in for this sort of thing too.

Sometimes I pay bills the same way. Heaven help me if I ever hit the wrong number, I might be buying a franchise in the company.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Sharon, we not so sophisticated in bill paying, but were quite good at spending money!
Had better get to bed, got to continue planting tomorrow, while have the weather. As soon as it clears up, will get some more pictures. Night.
Charlie

Good night, Charlie...hope your tomorrow is good.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Sharon, JoAnn and Christi,
Computer down - taken in for repair.
Gone to local library to send.
Back as soon as can.
Charlie

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Could it possibly be time to put the old PC out to pasture and replace with a new filly?

Christi

I agree Christi, he's had his share of computer issues recently,
I had to get some errands run, serious grocery-ing done, and of course I had to check out a new nursery on the way. Found some really healthy dianthus for my mailbox area. It has a planter on the top and the bottom, a friend got a little carried away when building it, but it needs some sprucing up and maybe this will help the bottom anyway. Petunias in the top, not much else would stay in control as would petunias.

Now to get my kitchen back in order again.

It suddenly turned windy and just a little cooler, not sure if a storm is brewing or what's going on, but I think I will wait till tomorrow to plant my new treasures.

I hope you all have had a good day.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Treated myself to a pedicure and a "natural" manicure. Wore acrylic nails for years but the mud really gets under them and I don't feel clean. Besides my nails are strong and hard and the girls at the nail salon are always amazed at cutting them off. Everyone usually comes in wanting looooonnnnggg nails. A pedicure is a mini-massage and everyone can benefit from that. Trip to Walmart was a mistake.....everywhere I looked, Aaron was saying "hey, Mimi, look at this..........

sorry

Don't apologize, Christi..
It would be the same for us, I know.

I am glad about the pampering, though, you needed that.

Gotta show you what I have been doing.
This garden set, table, 2 chairs, was damaged in the ice storm, cracked the iron work on the chairs, and it isn't reparable. But I just could not throw it away.

I decided to move the set beneath the maple tree in back....this was yesterday...

Thumbnail by Sharran

And here it is today...

Thumbnail by Sharran
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful. Just this last week I painted our 2-step ladder with that kinda new paint that looks like brown bronze. I am dangerous with a can of paint....especially spray paint.

My cousin has been here most of the day and just left with about 75 cuttings and roots to plant at her house. Told her she will be mad at me by tomorrow night.

Spray paint....oh but it is so much fun!!!

Thumbnail by Sharran
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I call that a gooood day.

It was a good day. My neighbors just came over to see what all the blue was...they seem to like it too. It was nice sitting out there tonight. I also moved my potted Norfolk pine to the back of the seat on the right, and it even looks better now. Too dark for a photo but maybe tomorrow. The blue makes the terra cotta pot color look good too.

But oh my, I am so tired.
Bath time....

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

"Goooood" kind of tired. Right about dark I discovered a Star Gazer lilly blooming for the first time. Sure hope they bloom longer than one day so I may get a picture tomorrow.

Going to hit the sack myself.

Night, night.

Christi

Goodness I miss this thread when it is so quiet....
Charlie, get that computer repaired.

And JoAnn, you are wayyy too quiet.

Christi.....where are you my friend.

I am beginning to feel like I am the lone tree left standing in the forest again.

Well...no matter where you are, Happy June.....it's been a long time coming, but now it's here. I do love June.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

This would have been my parents 69th anniversary. On the 9th Mike and I will be married 48 years. Dated for 1 1/2 years so I always tend to add that on. Lots of people predicted our demise as a couple. Guess we showed them what true love and commitment can overcome. Busy weekend with MIL. Getting her second cast off tomorrow and we don't if they will replace it, release her, or what. Believe this week will be busy as well.

Sharon, I have so much ironing that has stacked up, would you mind helping? hahahaha That is a so-called "private joke" between a good friend and I. Whenever someone says I wish there were something I could do for you, say, why, as a matter of fact I have good bit of ironing I need done. That is definitely a litmus test to weed out the casual friends and the soul sisters.

Christi

Thumbnail by LouC
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

another.

Thumbnail by LouC

Beautiful, Christi...
And yes, if I could reach your ironing board, I'd iron for you. You want to bring it to me?

Did I show you this photo? they have been blooming for more than a week, and with the dark setting, they glow brighter than the sun. They are my only white flower, and my only lilies of this kind. All my others are daylilies. They got a little crazy one year and bloomed only in July. Very strange.

Thumbnail by Sharran
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful. I like the bark on the tree.

I have Easter Lillys everywhere. No idea what they actually are. Purchased one pot at HD after Easter one time. I guess when they multiplied I must have dug and spread them around because this year I had 3 areas. The Star gazer are a Lowes purchase. You know the kind, in a box near the amaryllis. Lowes brags about great their tags are. Purchased a couple of plants there recently and the tag said "miscellaneous tropical", another "green leaves plant". Boy did that give a lot of education.

I really don't know nor care what pedigree any thing has. If it grows and blooms it is a Blue Ribbon winner everytime. Started to post my Star Gazer on the lilly forum and after scrolling down, decided she is just a mutt and would probably not be appreciated.

Christi

I never post my photos in the speciality forums because a daylily is a daylily and bee balm is bee balm and akebia is my chocolate vine. And besides that, I quite often give them names myself.

I can just see me showing that photo in the lily forum and saying: Hi Folks, this is Lily Lenore. Ha. My d mail box would fill up, but she is Lily Lenore to me.

I always try to be accurate with Latin names in my articles, but the tide will turn if I ever let the secret out when I talk about Yicky Yucca and Penelope Peony, who did not bloom this year by the way.

And Henry Hollyhock, just to be fair to the genders. But then I also have a black daylily, and I named him Darth for Darth Vader. No, I can't talk about them in the articles. Well, I guess I could.......

Going to be in the mid 90's today....
Guess summer is upon us now.

Charlie, get that danged computer fixed...NOW!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

If postage weren't so exhorbitant I would certainly mail at least part of the ironing to you.
I'm getting where I check out if it is a "iron piece" before I wear it. Don't want keep on creating more work.

Oh, just looked out my window and saw my little buddy. All spring I watched a black capped chickadee at the feeder and fountain. He doesn't have a foot on one leg. Does not deter him/her one bit. Hadn't seen him in a few weeks. Maybe it was because I had lost the ability to "see".

Christi

Reminds me of something. When I get a little bit down....which I do sometimes, I sing the old Carpenters song: 'I can see clearly now, the rain has gone...."
That was the Carpenters, wasn't it? Maybe not.

Of course I can't sing worth a hoot, but still...only the cats are here to complain, so I sing as loud as I want.

I gotta get outside and tackle these weeds....should have been out with the rising sun, but wasn't.

Later...

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

On second thought, I think it would be a terrific article about the names of plants. No one else could make it so much fun. I love your names. Still shows that wonderful little girl on the mountain.

If asked, I always tell the inquirer, I have a red flower, a yellow flower, a pink.......

We cannot be the only two on DG that doesn't speak Latin. I certainly appreciate the need for correct I.D. in some cases but I never get involved in those kind of "cases". You could probably put a lot of people (thousands) at ease because they may be thinking they are the only ones that doesn't know what grows in their garden.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I check in now and then.Just to see whats happening. My Royal Wedding OP just bloomed. I just planted it three weeks ago.1/2 price from GardenCrossings.
I love this time of year.
Also DD's Black Iris are blooming in the corner garden,there is another clump nearer the house that will bloom for the first time this year.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My Royal WeddingOP

Thumbnail by ge1836
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

According to Google:
Have you ever had a song playing in your head, which just kept playing over and over and over again day after day? Me neither. Until a few days ago. For the first couple of days I was not even fully aware that is was playing because I was sort of humming along with it on an semi-conscious level, until suddenly yesterday, I noticed that I was doing this, and I asked myself, 'what is this song'. Have you ever had that happen to you before? Me neither.

Since apparently my unconscious mind has adopted this as my theme song, I thought I would share the lyrics with you...The song, this beautiful song, is titled 'I can see clearly now' and it was written by Johnny Nash in 1972.

I can see clearly now the rain has gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's going to be a bright, bright sunshiny day

I think I can make it now the pain has gone
And all of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is the rainbow I've been praying for
It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day

Look all around there's nothing but blue skies
Look straight ahead nothing but blue skies

I think I can make it now the pain has gone
And all of the bad feelings have disappeared