Oh sweet pea!Won't you come to me!!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

D. Lab lab has no aroma. I dont know about other wild varieties...

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I thought they all had a fragrance .. some not as strong as others!

X

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well the flowers on the one I am talking about are about the size of a pea! Cute little thing, grows in poor soil, wild. Wish I had a pix of it.. maybe in the summer if I do not forget.

I think all the larger domestics have aroma though!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Actually I don't think ive ever come across any flower without some kind of aroma .. some, like certain morning glory only have a short window of fragrance of less than an hour.

X

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Browzing some seed paks I come up with my planting dates!

YAY!

Sweet peas - sow indoors 1/19, 4/19, and outdoors 5/19.

Soak first!

Here is the one I am doing for baskets!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

And here is the 'Bouquet blend'

X, it looks like many of the colors in your group are in mine!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Wow .. I never thought of putting sweet peas in a hanging basket .. that's what I'll do with the leftovers.

X

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

WHOAAAH there X!

The pak of seed I got for baskets is specific for baskets!

But I would imagine you could try any variety! If you do, let us know how it works! I just may try some my seelf that way too of the other varieties! What fun and long tails the climbers would give if it works!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Blossom, I saw those for baskets too.. Think I will try some!
I have never had any luck with sweet peas at all...except the wild ones. Mine are still green!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

They are T & M Sugar and Spice...

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Basket Sweet peas? What will they (Burpee, Parks, etc) think of next?LOL!

Now the wild ones I mentioned aren't "mine". They are on the roadside close to me so I see them regularly when in bloom. I too have noticed that they are not fragrant, but such a shaw from a plant that is known for it's fussieness! Maybe, if I were to be convinced otherwise of their invasivness, I would sow some here.

~Daniel

P.S. Since I don't have a pic of Sweet Peas, here is a packet of what I will be doing, among others>

Thumbnail by DMgardener

High Scent! I can't wait to see if what they say about it is true!

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh that is a beaut that pale lilac.

Well, I have yet to see my potted peas crack... been what 3 days....

Pacing floor here.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Try pacing in circles,or random patterns,so you won't wear a path in the carpet!!!!LOL

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Some of mine are starting to crack .. planted them 2 days ago after an overnight soak. Hope the rest are in a hurry too!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

EEKS! Mine are not germinating.. Bad seed??????

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've got them on a heating pad .. soil temperature stays in upper 70's low 80's .. plus I nicked mine after soaking before I planted them.

X

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, mine are definitiely not at those temps. So its either I gotta have more patience or warm them up a bit.

Last year, even the best sweet peas, took nearly 1 month to germ.

Are Hyacinth Beans considered Sweet Peas on this thread?

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They are both of the same family Papilionaceae but the genus are difference .. Sweet Pea is Lathyrus and Hyacinth Bean is Lablab. The flower and bud shapes are remarkably alike, but the seeds are very different. The Lathyrus are round without a distinctive margin where as the Lablab are oval with a very distinctive white margin.

X

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a dicloris in the woods. Grows everywhere, but it is a tiny thing! the pods are as long as my lil finger but as scrawny as a tooth pick!

Pacing pacing.. c'mon you peas pop please.. the suspenders is drivng old Blossom here nuts!

Cave Creek, AZ

I just got my sweet peas and I'm soaking them as I write. Do you suggest that I nick the seed before I plant them? I'll be starting them inside too. We can get frost pretty late were I live.
Mickey

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Some do some don't,I didn't and they came up fine after a 2 day soak!
Good luck!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I nick mine after soaking.

X

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, shoot, mine have not showed any life yet...!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Bottom heat is the key! Makes all the difference. I just transplanted 7 seedlings today into their own pots. They are sitting in a basket next to the heating pad at the moment .. I'll keep them there for 2 days to get used to the cooler temperatures then move them out to the greenhouse for a week then plant them in their final home.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Im gonna microwave then! LOL! just kidding!....patience BLOSSOM, patience!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

My patience with them is running out. Im about ready to take them out to the GPS, let the cold stratify them and let nature take its course.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well the cold is returning with snow and ice tomorrow here!!!
You better hurry spring is only 29 days away!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

OK, Just learned these can take 14 to 21 days to germinate at 55-60 degrees. They require darkness. Says to soak for 24 hours.... Im kicking those pots out to the GPS.. what comes comes.. besides that I need room for a new flat of impatiens in the house... ^sigh^

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Just plant straight in the garden, so much easier and takes all the frustration away!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! I think I will do the next batch that way, but I still have my basket hanger to plant in the basket so I got no choice on that one but to put it direct to its container

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

store finally getting some seeds in,bought annual sweet pea called Jet Set,says no staking!
Anybody try these before?

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I just cut my seedlings in half and stuck the cut ends in the pot .. do these guys root from cuttings?

X

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

How tall do those Jet Set get, Don?
I bought some to put in a hanging basket that only get 18 inches. Can't remember the name of them offhand...would have to go look...lol.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I can't say never tried to root any before!!!

Said 18 to 24 inches,I was think I might try in a hanging basket too!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! Looks like pea baskets are gonna be in this year!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok...looked at my sweet pea pkgs...and it's called Little Sweetheart by Burpee's. Gets to 14 inches tall!
Should I be planting them already in my zone 5? In the baskets...I mean?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

The package should tell you when.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I went ahead and planted mine tonite,said 10 t0 14 days to germination,then I'll give them as much sun as possible,maybe in a couple weeks or so can set them out during the day!
Funny thing it said to plant them 1 1/2 inch deep,I thought that was way to deep and went just half to three quarters deep instead!
Mine are called Jet Set from the Ferry Morse Seed Company.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.