Weird Weather of '09 #11...what's the Bright Thing Up There?

(Trisha) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Headed for bed....... after eleven and still have all the fans going.....we tied a record of 89 degrees here today....

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

crazy weather this is!
I was searching the websites for local news stations about a micro storm that hit from Oakridge to The Pass today because friends had called me from licoln city saying that they heard on their news that Oakridge was literally getting a torrential thunder storm. I missed it as I was still at work. I listened to the nightely news, didn't hear anything about it. Although, I have heard that it was wild... 2" of rain in a half hour with winds from 30-50mi/hr. crazy! Supposedly it only lasted for a little over 30 min. Maybe it will be on the morning news. There's branches and crap down all over my yard. It was too dark to really inspect plants well to see if anything was hit.
Anyhow, I found a link to this video that was taken on thursday of last week, from Eugene, looking at the lightening going on over/near Oakridge. http://kezi.com/page/113802 it's short, 30 seconds maybe.

Hard to believe that we've had thunder storm 6 days/nights in a row now!

(Judi)Portland, OR

Calm here now but expecting those thunder storms to move in later today. Hope all is well with you guys down near Eugene/Oakridge.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Well, it seeems we're getting valley weather, and you're getting desert weather as it's been raining all morning and been cool and cloudy all week. Had 2 thunder storms roll through last night with LOTS of rain. Happy to see the rain with all of the lightening. Just hope it doesn't flood our corn patch! Poor little guys are only about 2 inches tall, haven't been out there to inspect them yet, hope they're ok as it just poured for about 5 minutes several times last night that l know of.

Susan105

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Makes sense, Susan. I heard the night before last that it is the winds from the east that are warming us up. The high was 89 yesterday. We set a record. Today is supposed to be the same or worse. Talk about extremes. Our winter was record-setting for cold.

We haven't had any of those thunderstorms, though.

Eugene, OR

Well, it's boom-boom time again, this time I get it in the daytime. Not nearly as pretty as Tues night. Not a whole lot of rain so far, but it's still looking ugly out there. Took one picture, haven't downloaded it yet.

rc......you're probably working, but if not batten down the hatches, it's coming your way. The way these things are coming in, they come from the south, go up north, then get swung around south again. Strange.

I'm headed off to work. Actually, I was getting it from about 1-2pm. I just went outside to take a couple of pics before heading off to work. The sun came out! lol. But as I am downloading the pictures, I hear thunder again.

But, this is one of the pics that I took of the cell that had just passed over. The blue light going through the clouds and the yellow light from the sun, always makes a unique tint of light on things.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2009 2:22 PM

Thumbnail by redchic01
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

It's just plain hot and dry here - what have you guys done to attract all that electrical energy? Ha!

lol.... Don't know! But, it sure is interesting. It's hot and humid when the sun comes out and then cools 15 deg. when the cells go over. Then back to hot/humid. sort of fun!

This message was edited Jun 4, 2009 2:27 PM

Eugene, OR

Exactly, I'm sitting next to an open window and it's the coolest it's been all week. Here's the view from my place.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

jAnd one more.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
(Judi)Portland, OR

Sally I love your two photos of the stormy skies. It is hot and humid here and 'they' say the storms are coming to us from the south. It feels like this is Florida! Humidity is not my favorite thing!

Eugene, OR

I think the whole mass is swirling around and heading north, so you'll get it eventually. Hope it cools off a bit for you. I worked a lot in Florida, was not at all fond of the humidity. We're just overcast now, so it's cooler.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sorry to hear about the hot, stickies!! It's like that most of the summer here.
Today only got up to about 68 and rainy. We had 'boomers' for 2 days. Tuesday we had gusts around 70 mph. Lots of damage in town. Thankfully we never lost power, but 1 street over did overnight. I need your services RC. Can you bring your chainsaw?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Those pictures sure do illustrate the drama, Sally!!

Eugene, OR

Here's another that I like.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Very nice weather pictures. All my spring blooms are as crisp as toast. This to is a first I would think.

(Judi)Portland, OR

One of the rounds of thunder and lightening rolled through here a little while ago - looks like another is on it's way. Some of my irises are smashed, and that makes me sad, but all else is ok. Hope the rest of you that had these storms did as well.

North Lakewood, WA(Zone 8b)

I love the weird lighting. This is a picture I took of the old farmhouse across the street during some of that type of light. The house is really a light grey.

Thumbnail by thistledownfarm
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Good catch.

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Nice storm pics! I too love the colors that the storms bring! I am ok with some things getting flattened with rain if it uncrisps some of my other stuff and makes my nightly watering chore lighter! It was still hot and muggy (over 80) when I got home at 7, and now it is 69. We were working on Mom's sprinkler system, and could watch the weather come in over our mountain.

Started with some dark clouds......

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Ten minutes later it was a little darker......

Thumbnail by Rarejem

And the mountain was almost invisible by the time I headed home. The wind was crazy as well...branches cracking over head as I walked down the road.... It's calmer now, but temp is still dropping.

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

That really is an incredible view

Great pictures!! Was just plain hot all day......then during our bike ride a couple of big cloud banks came through....got some really high wind for a short time.....kept hoping we would at least get a little thunder out of the deal but no such luck!

Eugene, OR

Awesome RJ!! Like the farmhouse Thistle!

Sally...Lovely stormy skies pics, the colors are great.

I agree.... those timeline pictures are great RJ.

Thistle...That's a neat picture of that old farmhouse. I really like it.

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

So, I finally got a fountain/pond together; the plants need to grow in, but here it is.

Thumbnail by zhinu
Eugene, OR

Very clever Laura, what kind of plants do you have in it?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

WOOHOO!! Love the sound of flowing water.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Trisha, when I got my bicycle I was given a pamphlet from NOAA about riding in a thunderstorm. It is very dangerous! Please take care! Bicycles attract lightening!

I am a fair weather rider.....on the other hand it has been so long since thunder or lightening have been seen around Olympia that I don't know if anyone would recognize it!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Do they make lightning rods for your bike? Does having rubber tires on your bike make you less at risk? I'm interested in this topic now, Judi!!

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Sally, water mint is the only thing that's really doing anything. There is some water lily in there that I'm not sure will survive. Then there is some type of flower that I can't remember the name of; it's getting rootlets, but that's all right now. I'm going to get a water iris from mom.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I keep checking the weather in Rose Lodge and it's only mid-60s! That's chilly! We've already had many days in the 80s here. Sure hope I can expect a little better than 65 degrees in August.

(Judi)Portland, OR

I think when you are in a car the lightening hits the car and then is transferred to the ground without getting to you because it follows the path of the metal. On a bike you are sitting on the direct path to the ground, and a foot may be on the ground, no matter how briefly. Just my guesses. Here in Portland, 7400 people commute to work every day on bicycles. If a thunderstorm is expected warnings go out about the danger of bikes and lightening. I don't think lightening rods would work because doesn't one end need to be in the ground? Do we have a weather expert to help us out here?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

My son is one of those commuters (on nice days, of course)

Don't know about lightening rods, etc. :)

Eugene, OR

We were cloudy and 60's here today. Had work to do, so I enjoyed the coolness. I didn't know that about bikes either, just never thought about it. But then, like has been said, I'm a fair weather rider also. Interesting, this is a bike town too and I've never heard any warnings about lightening.

Was cloudy this morning but about the time Laura and I were due to start weeding for an elderly neighbor the sun came out....I am much pinker than when we started. got half of Dorothy's yard done today....we will finish up in the morning. I got a bit of my own done once it cooled down...was in the seventies most of the day.

Really tired tonight....I am used to doing a little, then resting a bit.....doesn't work that way when you are getting paid for it...we aren't used to steady hard work like this.....but they can't contact the guy who usually does the neighborhood weeding and since Laura really needs some income right now I got us roped into this....we will see if either of us survive it!

Bet I don't have trouble sleeping tonight!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

How great that you had an opportunity to make some money just when you needed the income!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.