Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Sedum 'Harry Butterfield'

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Sedum clavatum

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

sedum dasiophyllum does OK in a few isolated spots (this is one I struggle with )

Thumbnail by palmbob
Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

Just to dispell any illusions Sedums are found as native plants in Washington. Two are more coastal: S. spathulifolium and S. lanceolatum, and one in the mountains: S. divergens.

In the mountains here, we get 10-15 feet of snow, which is not melted off until July-August. Snow starts again in October.

Delhi, IA

palmbob, your first and fourth photos showing sedums in combination with other succulents are very nice. Love the Black Prince echeveria (I think) with clavatum sedum____and I have both. Course the sedum is a houseplant for me here at lows of minus 30.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

palmbob, what's the name of the one with Sedum nussbaumerianum that looks like strings of beads?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

That's Crassula perforata.. .aka String of Buttons

Central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have to share my Sedum spathulifolium 'Cape Blanco'. It has amazing purple color in winter, and white/grey color in summer. It is growing in pot and blooming right now.

Thumbnail by bagel_k
Central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Same plant in March.

Thumbnail by bagel_k

bagel_k
I bought that plant compulsively 2 years ago as potted, and planted it in my garden. It grew nicely over the summer. Took some cuttings to carry over the winter indoors, since I knew it was not hardy in my zone. Not only did the planted one die, so did the one in the house. I wish it was hardy for it is really so pretty and unusual.

Delhi, IA

Did the same with it two years ago. Funny, it's not the warmth inside that saves it; it's really an outside sedum. Lineare has also been inside and out, the pieces inside barely living over the winter. Some plants just aren't meant to be house plants!!

Delhi, IA

A sedum Harry Butterfield!!!! I have an echeveria (first one on left end) named Harry Butterfield.

Was this someone who named everything after himself that he developed?? Just received these and was surprised that you mentioned H.B. as the sedum name. Does anyone know??

Thumbnail by jamlover

palmbob, thanks for the info on String of Beads. It's neat & I've put a call into my local nurseries to see if any can get it.

Here's the first tiny Yellow blooms of Sedum tetractinum 'Coral Reef' on Monday, before our last deluge of rain set in...and continues.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Blomma and Jamlover, I keep 'Cape Blanco' in a pot because I am afraid to plant it in the ground. I heard that they die from winter wet. In a pot, I can keep it dry out of the rain. It seems to be OK with last winter cold (lows about 6F), even in small 4in pot. I've just set few cuttings in a raised bed, will see how they do next winter. Sorry about the ones you lost :-(( It is a very pretty plant.

bagel_k, those were nice comparison photos of your 'Cape Blanco'. Hope your cuttings do well.

Jean Yes, some do name a plant they developed after themselves, or as a tribute to a family member.

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

"Cape Blanco" is another cultivar of a plant which lives along the pacific coast. This cultivar is from Cape Blanco, Oregon.

I have some which is getting over run by other sedums in my garden.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Here is one I just got this year - Makinoi 'Ogon'

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Delhi, IA

goldfinch4, what a compact little mound. Before I enlarged I figured it was a hen with chicks it was such a perfect circle. jam

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

It is a nice little ball right now, but I hope it spreads out!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.