Show us low growing sedums

Delhi, IA

Tectractinum sp f/China: Ht. 3-4", evergreen. Plant a little larger than many sedums. Leaves to 3/4", round, succulent. Older leaves turn dusty pink, New growth is bright green with slight pink edging. Dense mat.+++3")

Thumbnail by jamlover
Delhi, IA

Here's Lineare variegatum. A little "iffY' for me in my 4-5 zone. I'm on the line. I always stick a few pieces around to be sure to save it. (I've seen it spelled with and without the final e)

This one can get 8 inches tall and 10 to 12" broad. Always looks fresh and crisp even in intense heat.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Delhi, IA

Here's lineare in a bed setting.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Delhi, IA

Here is S. spurium tri-color Has pink edges at certain times in the season, especially the new growth. Just break off two or three pieces, strip and inch of leaves and stick in and presto, you have a new plant.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Delhi, IA

S. sarmentosum is considered a weed by some. You hardly have to bury the cutting and it takes off. Makes a dense mat of green that will compete well with any weed.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Delhi, IA

Another variegated one is S. kamtashaticum variegatum My daughter had it in very poor soil for several years and it was barely 3-4" tall. For me in 'richer conditions' it will make 8". I really liked it better shorter so I now know what to do.

Like many variegated plants you need to pull out occasional all green stems to prevent reverting back to all green.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Good idea for a thread. Sorry but I don't know the name of this one. I got it as a passalong over 20 years ago. I use it for groundcover under all my plants especially my roses. It is very low growing.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Delhi, IA

Boy, you've got a good stand of that one!!. It looks like the one I posted trying for an ID.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Yes it does, I just went out to take some better photos of it. In my arid climate it is a perfect groundcover. I am trying to get it all over the yard as such to keep the water in the soil without buying so much cypress mulch. Here is a stand of it blooming now.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Closeup of the bloom. Years ago a nursery owner called this "worm grass" that is the only name I have known for it. I will search for similar photos online to see if we can ID it!

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Delhi, IA

I've never had it bloom; course I'm not in succulent heaven like NM. Check out Sedum sexangular. Found it's name amongst the coop plants I received.

I ripped out a bunch of it clearing out my semp. bed. Here's the piece that planted itself in a pot.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Looks very similar, but this is what I think mine is
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37077/ What fun to know the actual name of it after all these years! Sedum Album 'Murale'

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Cactuspatch and Jamlover - could the plant be Sedum diffusum 'Potosinum'? It's the most common sedum in San Antonio area and definitely a pass along plant. Most sedums rot in our hot and humid summers. This is the best exception.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/160382/

What do you think?

Thumbnail by Agaveguy
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Similar but the flowers and description are exactly like sedum Album 'Murale'
http://www.greenroofplants.com/Catalogweb/sedum_album_Murale.htm
this photo really shows how mine looks when it is blooming.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Yup. That's different.

Delhi, IA

Gee___there are so many tiny all green sedums____study one for a while and you either are sure it isn't that, or you are left undecided. For me, having never seen it bloom makes it still harder.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Yes, it does get confusing and it was the blooms that made me more certain. Here is another low grower in my yard.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Here is a shot of it's bloom. I think it is this one.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/3294/
as it fits the description and looks like the same blooms. I also got it as a passalong years ago. It does not grow as quickly as the other one and changed color more in winter.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Delhi, IA

Right now for lack of the name I'll call this one plain Jane. Cuttings can be taken almost anytime and regardless of temps. stick them in and they take off.

Can anyone identify?

Thumbnail by jamlover
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Could it be this one?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/23822/

Delhi, IA

Looking down on it I'm not sure; however, I just spent 30 minutes in plant files looking at sedums and found very few resembling it. It has to be Mr. everyday, very common____

I took a shot facing down on it more like the one you found in plant files. I'm going to try and count the leaves in each whorl. The stems are green. I have another with red stems, leaves rather alike.

Where's Lilly when we need her?

This message was edited May 21, 2009 1:22 PM

Thumbnail by jamlover
Delhi, IA

OK according to plant files spurium is a species. In plant files if you put in Sedum as the genus and then spurium as the species you see two-row stonecrop as part of the names. I even saw 4-row while googling!! Meaning??

Is two-row stonecrop the common name? Meaning?? Stonecrop I sort of get. They can take it so dry they almost grow in stone. That could apply to a lot of sedums. But what's the row bit???

Delhi, IA

I found it, it found it I FOUND IT!!

My plain Jane is: S. kamtschaticum
http://www.greenroofplants.com/Catalogweb/sedum_kamtschaticum.htm

I was in the shop today and saw a tray of my little fine sedum labeled kamtschaticum. I laughed to myself, knowing that it wasn't; but when I looked that one up there was 'plain Jane'.

Delhi, IA

Cactuspatch, today I saw your Sedum rupestre in town. Would have latched onto a piece or two but it was in a 12 pack for someone who wanted to border an entire bed. Really was one of the better looking sedums they had for sale.

I'm wondering how it handles winters in NM!!!! I see it is good to grow down to minus 34deg. !!!!!! hehehe

Delhi, IA

OK you southern and western dwellers, don't laugh so hard that you fall from your chairs and get injured cause I know you probably have the ground covered with some of these.
This is a houseplant for me until May 15. I had it on the porch getting ready when we had heavy frost Sun. morn. It sat inside for just 3 days and started looking for the sun it loves, greening up in the meantime.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

jamlover, thanks so much for hosting this thread.
As you know I love Sedums and will post a few photos of ones currently growing in my garden.

Here's S. Burrito with its fat leaves. Look at it sideways though and a leaf inevitably falls off.
It's now thankfully out of its pot, planted, and doing well.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Here's S. Major on May 16th with its first tiny blooms.

This is Sedum tetractinum 'Coral Reef' or Chinese Sedum, which according to the Plant Files is only hardy from Zones 5-8.

It bloomed this week and has several tiny lovely Yellow flowers.

Sedum spurium 'Dragon's Blood'. Great colors! Mine is growing very close to the ground in a spreading mound fashion and should only reach 4-6" high. Blooms are bright Pink from late Summer to early Fall. Guess I'll have to be patient and wait for bloom time. This one's hardy Zones 4-9.

This is a close-up of Sedum 'Vera Jameson' that matures to about 1' tall and has a branching appearance. The leaves are silvery blue-gray-green tipped with Pink. This is another one I'll have to be patient before I see its Pink clusters of blooms late Summer or early Fall. It's hardy from Zones 4-9.

Delhi, IA

Sedum dasyphyllum 'Major'. Thought this one needed an additional name. Very nice and compact. And little white blooms.

I doubt if Burrito will be able to winter over outside for you. Plant files gives zone 10 I believe. It will sure make a nice hanging pot however. I know what you mean about bump it and off falls a piece. The cats were put out last summer when my plants came outside to the open porch and took their sunning spot. They had a tussle over my S. rubrotinctum and I found pieces all over. Even planted itself in a number of pots.

Vera J. certainly has a showy leaf___nice bluish tones also.

Here's Sedum spurium 'Voodoo" hardy in Zones 4-9. This is another low-growing variety I enjoy mainly because of its intense colors. I think it looks very similar to Dragon's Blood but is growing a tad more upright and is spreading quicker.

Burrito came in a little hanging pot. I didn't realize until you pointed it out that I needed to over Winter it. Thanks for mentioning that, and thanks too for adding Major's full name.

It sounds like your playful kitties gave you a few unexpected, but welcome, surprises!

This message was edited May 22, 2009 10:03 PM

Delhi, IA

Oh, what nice coloring on 'Voodoo' Wouldn't it look nice by a 'cobwebbed' semp!!

Had this so long don't remember it's name. Has a rather bluish tone. Only about 3" tall. Hardy down to minus 30. Before my raised beds I had no problem with this in the ground, but a semp would become toast it's first winter.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Delhi, IA

The name I added was for Major. I looked into Burrito and found mostly just Sedum burrito. There were however a few S. merganianum burrito. This family, genus, species thing still confuses me a little. I go to look for something in plant files and am not sure what to enter where. But with practice you get a little better.

Maybe someone can clarify this matter a little.

edited to add: I also found S. morganianum donkey's tail. Is there a difference? Which is really correct?

This message was edited May 23, 2009 4:56 AM

Delhi, IA

If you are interested in seeing lots of sedum photos (1700 they say) go to the following site:
http://www.sedumphotos.net/v/sedum-a/

I'm hoping to still identify one; I wonder if I'll tire of looking before I find it.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

jamlover, the sedums I have are fine through the winters here. Even when I lived over the mt. in a colder winter area they did great--now I know why, we never get that bitter cold! LOL! I have a link to the sedum photos on the sticky too I think? Good photos but you need to know the name to find them. They are not the perfect place to search.

Hi Jean I just found your thread. Nice going to stick to the low ones. I finally got mine up and running but it is for all garden sedums to grow with Semps. The taller Sedums gives height and contrast to planting, etc.

A lousy Memorial Day weekend with rain and I came down with a miserable cold. Haven't had one in 3 years. So haven't felt like doing anything plantwise. Why now in spring?

SusanThe correct name for burro tail, or donkey's tail is S. morganianum.. It is a houseplant native to Mexico and suited to grow in a hanging basket. Grows to 24" long. I have grown this plant years ago. Yours look like it but the leaves are fatter and closer together for the specie so I am wondering if it is a type of burrow tail from the norm, or a look-alike.

S. spurium 'Dragon's Blood' only blooms June and into July with flowers that are blood red or red. Leave turns a mahogany during winter through spring. Then gradually turns greener. It may be too aggressive to grow close to Semps, especially small ones.

Your Plain Jane is probably akamtschaticum but which one? There are several varieties in this family---S. kamt. 'f/Korea, S. kant. 'Takahira Dake' , S. kamt. Variegatum (aka Tricolor), S. kamt. Kirin-so' to mention a few. Also very difficult to distinguish from spurium . From my own plants, I think that the spuriums tend to be more aggressive creepers. Because there are so many varieties in this genus of plants, they are very difficult to id, since there may be just a slight variation in the species--root type, leaves, bloom color, shape and lineup of leaves, stems, sepals, petals, stamens, habit are only a few of the criterias used to distinguish between them. Many are unfortunaley misslabeled.

Here are 5 varities of Sedums that are low-growing creepers.

Lilly

Thumbnail by
Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

Here is Sedum brevifolium, which other than surviving last winter outside I know little about it. The pot is 2" across.

Thumbnail by AnalogDog
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

this is a genus I struggle with... perhaps most sedums prefer less ghastly weather than we get here in inland southern California... too hot and dry for most of these it seems, but there are a few exceptions.

Sedum nussbaumerianum does OK here

Thumbnail by palmbob

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.