My favorite clem in front of the house Lincolnshire Lady

Thumbnail by venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

My favorite clem in front of the house.. Blue Light

Thumbnail by venu209

Waiting on all my other favorite clems ^_^

(Zone 4a)

Teehee you are too cute with "all" your favourite clematis!

Lincolnshire Lady is just amazing! What a pretty bloom!

Love your Asao as well.......

Parkersburg, WV

I think Lincolnshire Lady is one of the most interesting Clems I have seen to date. Going on my want list.

Your Henryi is beautiful.

Dawn and Taj..just to add to the temptation, Lincolnshire is a MUCH richer color than the camera captures.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

They are gorgeous..I love Lincolnshire as well..thanks for sharing..Jeanne

Delaware, OH

love your clems, that macropetala lincolnshire lady is beautiful. also your blue light. very nice. hope to see more of you here on the forum.

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Love all your favorites they're some of mine too!!!^_^

More favorites are opening.....Ice Blue with Zephirine Drouhin. ZD is a favorite rose also. No thorns.

Thumbnail by venu209
Delaware, OH

pretty combo and nice blooms

Here's another shot. Last year Blue's blooms were not nearly as large as this year.

Thumbnail by venu209

Thanks CG. Maybe you can ID this one?

Thumbnail by venu209

Huldine waking in the morning.

Thumbnail by venu209

Huldine in the late afternoon sun

Thumbnail by venu209

My favorite President, looking like royalty

Thumbnail by venu209

Proteous undecided whether to double up.

Thumbnail by venu209

Crystal Fountain getting an afternoon drink. Happy Hour!

Thumbnail by venu209

HF Young. One of my favorites...really :)

Thumbnail by venu209

Belle of Woking. I love this one. She's such a lady.

Thumbnail by venu209

Amethyst Falls, not a clem, but still a favorite.

Thumbnail by venu209
(Zone 4a)

They are all so beautiful venu....you really do have a green thumb when it comes to clematises. Your gardens must be so pretty right now!

Delaware, OH

red clem pretty. love the photo with the leaves and sky, looks like lace behind.
love the huldine photo, always good to chow the central bar from behihnd and in front for botanical photos.

love the wisteria, very pretty.
i am on the same page with you as to belle of w and also hf young, a true fav here at hardwick hall,
the red is not something i can id with out more photos in full sun or etc. could be one of several.
right now my niobes and sunsets are starting to open and also ville de lyon ,which opens quick when it starts, is in an amazing floral display right now.
here is ville de lyon as of today. 8 yr old plant grown in full sun. will bloom like this for a couple of months, be hard pruned and fed, then bloom about half this much with slightly smaller blooms for a second display.

you are in a choice zone for clemming there zone 7!

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
(Zone 4a)

Your VDL is fantastic!! Honestly as far as your photo's go - I think this one is my fav!!! Now I just have to wait and see how mine does this year!

Guru I bought my mom a Niobe today and planted it for her.....can you not prune these as a group 3 if you want? I got mixed messages on reading about this one?? Since we are in the North I am sure she will need to prune as a 3 anyhow but I was just curious! I buy her the ones I can't have but want LOL

I have been eyeing VDL for a few years. I think yours just made the final decision for me. That's a very handsome clem!

Delaware, OH

my niobes almost always get pruned as a 3, because theer usually seems to be winter damage and i have to take them down. my main niobes are right out side the house and i do not like the old vine ratty look behind the new growth and blooms. so i treat mine as a 3 , with a after-bloom prune too. they then give a nice second blooming. they have always been on small oblesiks and then trailing over the shrubbery. this year i moved the smaller supports, that would become hidden by june anyway and added a taller support on each side of the walkway.
here is the niobe with all fresh new growth, will be blooming in a week i'd say. one or two smaller niobe plants in full, full sun in another garden opened a few niobe blooms yesterday. this is good sun, but not full full sun. therefore the blooms last a long time and the central bar becomes nor pronounced as the sepals near the end of hanging on.
thanks on the ville de lyon comments. it is a very steady , reliable clem...even more than niobe which is a good clem, but ville is a mainstay here an d a must for any clem garden.
here is old niobe on the new support.

Delaware, OH

my niobes almost always get pruned as a 3, because there usually seems to be winter damage and i have to take them down. my main niobes are right out side the house and i do not like the old vine ratty look behind the new growth and blooms. so i treat mine as a 3 , with a after-bloom prune too. they then give a nice second blooming. they have always been on small oblesiks and then trailing over the shrubbery. this year i moved the smaller supports, that would become hidden by june anyway and added a taller support on each side of the walkway.
here is the niobe with all fresh new growth, will be blooming in a week i'd say. one or two smaller niobe plants in full, full sun in another garden opened a few niobe blooms yesterday. this is good sun, but not full full sun. therefore the blooms last a long time and the central bar becomes nor pronounced as the sepals near the end of hanging on.
thanks on the ville de lyon comments. it is a very steady , reliable clem...even more than niobe which is a good clem, but ville is a mainstay here an d a must for any clem garden.
here is old niobe on the new support.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Stunning clems Venu and "Huldine" is one of my favs and the backside is always so interesting..I think your red looks alot like my Clematis "Barbara Harrington"...
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=2946
or maybe clematis "Polonez" rings a bell?...Jeanne
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=3036

This message was edited May 24, 2009 11:07 AM

(Zone 4a)

I am glad you mentioned that you treat your Niobe as a group 3....I just bought my mom one to grow along side of her Polish Spirit. It is good to know it does well as a group 3.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

You are giving me lots of ideas. I was thinking of putting Huldine at my very sunny west mailbox. Would it be prone to fading?

Huldine is white, so fading is not a problem, however it is very vigorous and large. It might swamp the mailbox in no time. Mine is on a 6 foot fence and is already 2 feet higher than the fence.

Kingfisher:

Thumbnail by venu209

Bonanza with Viking Queen rose

Thumbnail by venu209
Delaware, OH

when clems are higher than the fence or trellis , here is what i have resorted to. a taller structure to bring them forward. this is lady better balfour, etoile violette and i have just added a couple of other to the area that are smaller.

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Venu, what about Rebecca for your red clematis? I planted one just last month, so no blooms yet

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=3442

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

What a gorgeous collection of Clematis you have!

Shirley, Hello, how are you? I know you have a bigger, more gorgeous collection!

The NOID is not as red as my camera depicts. I wish it was. Even more confusing, it was planted at least a decade ago and forgotten. Thought it had died. It's BACK ...lol...

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I guess Huldine will go somewhere else; I want to be able to find my mail!(One year I had a morning glory that grew so quickly it almost gobbled up the mailman.)

Delaware, OH

piilu is a nice compact clematis for a mail box that will not overtake it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.