This year's project

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Wow, all your hard work is starting to turn into flowers!

Santa Fe, NM

Very nice. Can't wait to see it as it matures. There is a plant that is some sort of sage, ball sage? It has a strong scent, not unpleasant, and is supposedly very xeric. I'm going to try to get more of it. I have pictures but will post on the pic's thread so as not to cut in on this one. You might want to try it somewhere.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

:)

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Can we fast forward to next spring? This is a great experiment!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Part of me wants to as well. The part that keeps me patient is the part that says there is 9 months of life you don't want to just skip over.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think the step by step progress is much too exciting to miss. Are you going to try Sea holly (Eryngium) Dave who is Dave? I think it would work well with your choices.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I hadn't looked at that dahlianut. It is an interesting genus. The sharp spines ones are no-go though.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have little Blue Hobbita which are cute and a pretty blue. I will post a pic when it's open. I just started the larger planum from seed this year. Babies are about 1 foot tall now. I don't think they are all spikey, some are just pointy. Sorry I forgot about your spike/thorn issues.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I may be wrong, but my impression of sea holly is that it tends to look shaper than it really is. I recall it being a wimp -- thorn wise.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I thinks its more like teasel. Bristley not sharp.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

So they are only mildly evil instead of intensely evil. ;)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh dear, you have it bad Dave.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

At least probably the deer won't eat them, if they are mildly evil and prickly......

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

That is one advantage, Kyla. Of course, I'm 5 miles from the edge of the city so deer aren't a consideration here.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Deer are definitely willing to eat prickly plants if they are tasty -- two of their favorites in my neighborhood are raspberries and roses. Maybe the defense systems of cacti are good enough to keep deer away, but not much else.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I will say that raspberries prickles wouldn't keep me away either.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Everyone and every creature seems to love raspberries. Gophers eat the roots, my dogs ate both the berries and the leaves and of course, the deer came by for munches from time to time. That is why I don't grow them any more. I rarely got raspberries for myself. All those critters get up earlier than I do.
Yes picante, that season who's name cannot be spoken, is very long here in Los Alamos. Santa Fe, too, which has almost identical weather. Both towns are at 7300 ft. more or less.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

hahaha Paja, oh what the heck, let's just call it Voldemort! hahaha

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Voldemart! Now that's a good idea! That's what it feels like!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Voldemort is a good name. I have entered into my dictionary. But I don't think I will call the seasonal fairys from that time Voldemort fairys as they are not evil. They will need a different name.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Something like snow fairies?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We don't always have snow. It is a toughie to name them.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

have you asked them?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Crystalline Wons is the most beautiful of the snow fairies, but there are other winter fairies besides the snow fairies. Tucedis is one of the ski fairies, and his sister, Glide. We see a lot of thaw fairies, but I don't know their names.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Crystal Fairies! They should be called Crystal Fairies because they are sparkly and shimmery and sometimes make the trees 'tinkle' like little bells in the wind. Kyla I will write it in the f*r*o*s*t when they return and see if they like it ^_^

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, I was thinking of the Sparkle too. ;-)

Now, thaw fairies, that seems even harder to name...... so in between, so necessary, so slippery, so.......

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

fast to melt away, you're not really sure you actually saw them!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Can you see their reflections in waterdrops picante? Sometimes I think I see fairy reflections in the water drops running down the windows or falling from icicles.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thaw fairies are the Elsewhere fairies.

Santa Fe, NM

Related to water fairies and mists.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

And which are the Erewhon fairies?
Dnut, I've yet to see any fairy reflections.

Santa Fe, NM

I thought Erewhon was a natural foods company.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erewhon

We read it in high school English.

Santa Fe, NM

Never read it! You must remember it well.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Nope, I remember very little of it. Couldn't even remember the author. Molière made a much deeper impression on me.

Santa Fe, NM

Moliere. When I was raising budgies one group of babies were Moliere, Javier, Pierre and baby Fridgidaire! Pierre was later given to friends and re-named Roscoe. Roscoe learned how to talk!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Pierre probably thought they were calling him "Racicot", as the pronunciation is quite similar.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Maybe Thaw Fairys are In-Between Fairys that live between Fairyland and the mundane world. Great birdie names funny bird!

Santa Fe, NM

They were a nice group of birds. Javier was female and lived to be about 12 years old which is good for a parakeet. She is the one who got stuck in a sticky mouse trap one day when she was out. Had to clean her up with cooking oil, to get the sticky stuff off and dish soap to get the oil off. She lost all her feathers! but recovered nicely. Glad to hear Roscoe kept in the French lineage. He lived with a cockatiel and could mimic it's noises as well as speaking English. He did not speak French, however.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Poor Javier. I had a collie once who got his tail stuck in some of that sticky stuff you paint on tree trunks to keep the insects from getting to the top. The tail came loose easily, but he had gobs of goo in it for a long time. We tried all kinds of stuff to get rid of it and didn't get red of it too well, though. Luckily collies shed as your bird did.
I am amazed that Roscoe could mimic a a cockatiel and speak English. Isn't that fairly uncommon for a parakeet?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.