First year at our new home

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Well I guess I'll leave them and see what happens. They are in a lasagna bed and I also added some slow release organic fertilizer when I planted them. There are scarlet runners (beans) growing with them. I realize corn isn't a great return for the space used but I already have a 13 kinds of hot pepper (30 plants), 3 kinds of basil, oregano, cilantro, parsley, onions, carrots, 8 tomato plants, 4 cucumber plants, 2 watermelon plants, 2 squash plants, and about a dozen swiss chard growing. I don't know if that's a lot or a little but I live alone and already feel like it's overkill and didn't know what else to plant, so corn it was! Worst case scenario is it looks tall and green and like I'm doing something in the garden space.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

That sounds awesome. I've seen others have success with densely planted corn, so there's hope!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have 4 corn planted per square foot and so far all is well. No overcrowding, but then again I have Golden Bantam planted. They only get to 5' or so. I have ears formed on the earliest planting. As long as there is good air circulation you want to plant the corn fairly closely to ensure good pollination.

Kelly

Pensacola, FL

Your garden layout is awesome,almost as good as mine lol

Thumbnail by bucsfan

Here's updated pics of our garden...

Thumbnail by Qinx

Yellow straight/Crook neck, Butternut and Zukes!

Thumbnail by Qinx

Tomato jungle...

Thumbnail by Qinx

Roma's, Roma's and oh... maybe yellows... they got mixed up!

Thumbnail by Qinx

Tomatoes, tomatoes, everywhere little green tomatoes! Ripen already!

Thumbnail by Qinx

Our asparagus is ferning... 2nd year sprouts. Looking forward to fresh asparagus next year!

Thumbnail by Qinx
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Looking good, Qinx!!

Peas producing well for us...

Thumbnail by Qinx

Yellow wax beans, pole beans behind them and corn behind that...

Thumbnail by Qinx

Some of our lettuce bolted. You can see our Yukon Gold potatoes in the smart pots behind the lettuce.

Thumbnail by Qinx

Pole beans climbing and flowering. Peppers, squash, watermelon and tomatoes in the distance.

Thumbnail by Qinx

Our taters in smart pots. Started them in about 5 inches of coir and then piled on straw as they grew taller. One of the Yukon's has begun to flower.

Thumbnail by Qinx

Our green bean stackers!

Thumbnail by Qinx

Our garden protector

Thumbnail by Qinx

Herbs and marigolds.

Thumbnail by Qinx

Green onions and Ambrosia Melons... Giant watermelon flower in the upper left. To get the real picture of how big that flower really is, each block is 12" wide!

Thumbnail by Qinx

here's a close up of the 10" blossom!

Thumbnail by Qinx

A female watermelon blossom.

Thumbnail by Qinx

One of our Red Sunflowers starting a bloom.

Thumbnail by Qinx

Did I forget to mention we have squash plants? Lots of them... lol...

Thumbnail by Qinx

Tomatoes! Yumm... lots to can we hope...

Thumbnail by Qinx

We planted three sets (successions) of white sweet corn.

Thumbnail by Qinx

Top left: Ambrosia melons
Bottom left: Honeydew melons
Middle: Carrots
Bottom right: (barely visible) Red Beets

Thumbnail by Qinx

One of our cats.. Melanie, how did you get in here?

Thumbnail by Qinx

So that's our garden so far. We've harvested lots of peas, a couple beans, a few yellow squash and some carrots.

We probably won't get any broccoli and I'm wondering about the cauliflower and brussel sprouts. Bugs kinda took them over and now it's starting to get hot.

Peppers are doing nicely and the tomato plants are almost all full of fruit waiting to ripen.

The compost pile is cooking nicely too.

Thumbnail by Qinx
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Looking wonderful! Your gardens are obviously a bit warmer than my area in Virginia...

Q: what are the yellow gizmos holding down string in the photo of "Yellow straight/Crook neck, Butternut and Zukes"?

They are tent stakes from Lowe's. The trellis string was kinda flopping around at the bottom just hanging in the frame, so I placed a stake in the middle of each to hold it steady.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Cool. I thought they might be tent stakes; didn't know Lowe's carries them. I need hold-down pegs for an extension of my cattle panel arched trellis. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.