First year at our new home

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

ROFL Qinx! I understand about that KFC! We've been eating buttercrunch lettuce, green onions, and, just recently, fresh new potatoes. I have some beautiful heads of cabbage almost ready. Got lots of tomatoes on my plants (18 of them). I will have squash, green beans, cucumbers, okra and other assorted veggies later. I can and freeze lots of my produce too. It tastes so much better than what you can buy in the stores. I have a good sized orchard and a large blackberry (thornless) patch too. I really enjoy gardening--it's so relaxing. Most of us on here can really appreciate all the work you put into your beautiful garden. I hope everything does well for you.

Kerrville, TX

Lots of work leading to some excellent result. I like that extra "touch" you added here and there.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I received 7 more stacking planters and four 5kg blocks of coir yesterday! Didn't have time to get them up though. Will try to get them up on the post tonight when I get home. Will post some detailed pictures of how I put the stacks together.

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Qinx,

Great looking garden. The best of luck. I dream of having as much space to garden as you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Thanks Bob!

Just figured that the planting space is 336sq.ft. plus the two stackers (6 each) and two 15 Gal Smart-Pots. Guess that is a little more space than I originally thought.

p.s. Anyone want some Zuke's when they produce? I think I might have an abundance of them.

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Keep me posted on the Smart Pots. I might carry them if they work good.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hey, Qinx - I see you are still trying to pawn your zukes off on unsuspecting souls - lol.

Kelly

Who, Me?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yeah, YOU - lol.

BTW - love your set up!! How I wish I had that much space to garden in (wistful longing).

Kelly

Thanks!

It's been raining the past 2 days. Haven't been able to finalize the planting. I managed to get my sage and basil transplanted. Planted some green onions too. The watermelons are also transplanted. Hopefully I can train them on the side away from the rest of the garden.

Alas our Aerogarden broke! So I had to take out the herbs from there. I don't think they'll survive, but I placed them in the ground. We'll see if they live. Aerogrow is sending us a new base for out unit.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ah, rain . . . Is that that wet stuff that falls from the sky? How little of it we have here in the desert. Growing up on the east coast I hated rain - always managed to ruin the day. Now I love it - go figure . . .

I have an Aerogarden as well - love that thing!! When I got ready to start some seeds in it back a few months ago, I took the Basil and Dill out and just stuck them in the garden. Couldn't see just getting rid of them as they were doing so well. Trimmed the long roots and stuck them in a spot with the little plastic thing and all. They are growing like gangbusters, both probably about 1 1/2 ft tall, so just plant 'em and see what happens.

Here's our stacking planter additions! 6 high by 6 spaces = 36 planting spots per 22" stack! We've added 2 stacks.

Thumbnail by Qinx

Our stackers have sprouted. I did them on 2 different days. The initial planting of 18 bean seeds has produced 18 bean sprouts! The 2nd planting should sprout Wed/Thu this week I hope. Grow babies! Grow!

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Go Qinx !!!

Lots of pics please

Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

LOVE IT!!!! Just got some of ours out today and we are late for our area. We were still out at dark and I told DH he was planting with the moon not by it. I turned on the greenhouse lights so he could see as there was no Moon. LOL what ever it takes he says! Last year all our plants got beat by a large hail storm while still in the flats. It was June 1st and we put out nothing but sticks and had a wonderful veggie garden. Ya just never know what you may get. Makes me say a prayer for Farmers as I would find it hard to make a living at it.

May 15 update...

The stackers are in... Most everything is planted...

Thumbnail by Qinx

Look ma! TWINS!

Thumbnail by Qinx

One of many to come I'm sure... did I mention 23 plants?

Thumbnail by Qinx

Our pepper family...

Thumbnail by Qinx

Watermelons! Yummy!

Thumbnail by Qinx

Our latest family addition!

He's quite a dodo!

Thumbnail by Qinx

Our dodo watches the herbs!

Thumbnail by Qinx

We planted Petunias beneath our stackers.

Thumbnail by Qinx

Potatoes have sprouted about 13 days after placing in our smart-pots with coir, perlite and fertilizer.

Thumbnail by Qinx

Stackers - day 1

Thumbnail by Qinx

Stackers - day 8

Thumbnail by Qinx

Stackers - day 11

Thumbnail by Qinx

Stackers - day 13 - Bush Beans/Yellow Wax Beans

Thumbnail by Qinx

Stackers - Day 13 Beans Beans Beans and Petunias

Thumbnail by Qinx

Stackers - Day 13 the top layer.. opps.. 2 sprouted!

Thumbnail by Qinx

A glimmer of pink/red... hope the birds don't find it first!

Thumbnail by Qinx

Carrots...

Thumbnail by Qinx

Beets...

Thumbnail by Qinx

Parsnips...

Thumbnail by Qinx

Brussel sprouts...

Thumbnail by Qinx

Some of our corn... yay...

Thumbnail by Qinx

Our tomato jungle...

We have 9 different confirmed tomatoes growing...

Thumbnail by Qinx
Kerrville, TX

Great looking garden with all the special little touches. But the stackers........man that really adds pzazz to a garden. :-)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Just curious how many corn plants you plan to grow in a single square foot? I only planted 10 corn plants and all 10 have come up but I can't imagine them surviving in approximately 4 square feet. (They are helping fill the void left by some earlier tomato losses) I don't really even like corn that much but my landlords have been encouraging me to expand the garden and I didn't want them to think I wasn't using the additional space so I figured corn would be hard to miss and give the illusion of being a productive gardener.

I've planted 2-4 seeds per square foot in a diagonal pattern (opposite corners). I hope it's not too crowded and shouldn't be since the area is so small. There's plenty of air circulation in that bed. Corn is one of those crops that isn't a good return on space utilized, but I wanted to grow some anyways. I made sure I fertilized the area with a slow release organic fertilizer too. The beans are in the same bed since they fix nitrogen into the soil and corn is a heavy nitrogen consumer.

By succession planting 3 sections at 2-3 weeks intervals it's my hope that we a couple weeks of staggered corn harvest.

Here is my layout I'm using. Each square represents 1 square ft. This bed is 4x11. The preview only shows part of the image. To see the whole layout you have to click on it.

This message was edited May 18, 2009 8:14 AM

Thumbnail by Qinx

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.