Historic Iris Swap Anyone?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

How about this one...lol like I said I have three or four that look "almost" alike...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

do youknow what one this is have lots it.

Thumbnail by hope43

avmoran, I love them all !

hope43 I don't know what it is but I love that one too, is it white or a soft pink on top?

JanetS I like that , the edge. Pretty.

Kathy

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

avmoran those are georgeous. gypsy queen was calling me.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL
I love it
It is so small and tiny why they reclassed it an IB I do not know It blooms with MTBs and TBs
I crossed it with Pug and hope to have a seedling bloom this year
:)
A

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Kathy its white purple is softer .

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

We had Wabash over 50 years ago. It is a stunner and so easy to ID. Here's a photo of it:

http://www.hips-roots.com/visitors/v-photos/vp-topframe.html

You have to scroll down on the left hand side to find Wabash.

This message was edited May 5, 2009 7:05 PM

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

loreley........wow!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I love Cayenne Capers 1959 Gibson .... of course I love them all! You really have some beauties Avmoran!

South Hamilton, MA

The Black Douglas is a family favorite--from DH's grandmother who ordered a batch of catalogs in 1946 & had it marked in every one--to our clump which should be reset as it has not bloomed in a couple of yrs.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

WOW HappyJackMom.... thanks for that link! Now I have a LONG wish list! I have an old iris that I got from my homeplace....my Mom always had it in the yard but I just knew it as an iris! It was years before I knew they came in other colors!! ^_^

I wish I had taken some pictures while it was blooming..... I have my old one potentially narrowed down to a couple on that website so maybe I will be able to id it next Spring. It is already thru blooming this year.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

IrisMA do you happen to have a picture of that one you could share??

South Hamilton, MA

Afraid not. It is dark purple like so many others. We still use film cameras & the pictures are not in the computer. If you go back to the HIPS website & scroll on the left, it is there. Be sure to see The Black Douglas. The use of the in english is no longer allowed in registrations, but you have to go to T rather than B in the case of that cultivar.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh I did see that !! It is gorgeous.... didn't think the red was as pretty. Had tried to go back and find it on the list again, but had not looked under "the" .... Thanks!

Genna

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I wonder if this on may be The Black Douglas? It is a NOID I got from a friends homestead....it is supposed to be quite old.

Thumbnail by JanetS
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Pretty ...... looks like that might be a match but then I know very little about irises other than they are pretty ! ^_^

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I know what you mean....there are way too many colors and combinations of the same colors for me to have a clue!

Janet
That one is pretty! Are the falls really as dark as they look in the picture? And btw I love your woodland garden! Nice work. KAthy

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, they look like deep dark velvet...it is really stunning. Thanks, I have several different beds...they are quite a lot to maintain too...lol Here is a picture of the front Iris bed...

Thumbnail by JanetS
South Hamilton, MA

I checked the HIPS photo & the falls don't seem to have the lighter edge & are a slightly different shape. Maybe 'Sable Night' although we don't have that one. 'Sable' is related to 'Sable Night'. Possiblities.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is a photo of the bloom close up last year.

Thumbnail by JanetS
South Hamilton, MA

Falls look a bit long there--silly plants are being difficult. Sable? Try Plant files. The Black Douglas does have a yellow beard.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

oops..sorry that is NOT the same IRIS...lol that one belongs to this clump....the one in the picture by itself is not located in a clump..it is strictly by itself...I will see it is has another bloom and I can get a better picture of that one.

Thanks.

Thumbnail by JanetS
Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Up close, does it resemble this one if you darken the colors? My camera tends to change
dark purple to a rose purple. Could be a variation of the old germanica.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6513140 show the color almost exactly as it appears to the eye. Very dark velvet falls..

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well whatever we each get it's going to be a brilliant display. i am going to try to put all of these together somewhere.

also......avmoran...didn't you say gypsy queen was a miniature? i have it out there. i thought it died. it has a little bitty flower. is that right? so does honorabile. right?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

anyone have oldie, blue ones?

South Hamilton, MA

Honorabile is registered as a Miniature Tall Bearded iris. Small flower, about 20" tall.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

that's it. dang. i didn't know they grew 'em that small. it's so cute.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I have 'Immortality', 'Full Tide', I think 'Jesse's Song'... will have to check it, quite a few more 'English Cottage' than I thought, 'Vanity', 'Beverly Sills', 'I Do', 'Silverado', 'San Francisco', a few more that I have enough of and the other oldies have not been ID'd yet.
Here is a pic of my I. pallida
Debc

Thumbnail by estrail1rider
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I know this is a trade thread for historics ones but if anyone would like hybrid daylilies for these and other iris LMK
Thanks,
Teresa

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

hey, neal...what's the target date for doing this? did you say june? and teresa if you have newer iris i'll trade with you.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

mama, right, rhizomes to me by July 1.

Theresa, what kind of Iris do you have?

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Re: The Black Douglas. HIPS photo list says it has purple base foliage (pbf). That would
help identify the one listed above.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I grow a few Sibs and Blk Gamecock L. plus Hush Money L. several newer ones I am letting grow until next year. I went on a buying spree and got several 03 and newer :)

If it would stop raining I could take pics to show you :( I have one new black one blooming today. FADE TO BLACK is not as far along

I have this white /yellow iris blooming now, I have no clue . Anyone know ?
Kathy

Thumbnail by

and this purple blend , top is a shade or 2 lighter.

Thumbnail by
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

sorry I don't know the names, but they do look like the older varieties for sure..very pretty!

And this one which is shorter, possible Intermediate ? Don't think it is a historical iris.

Thumbnail by
Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

I love irises. I have several unnamed ones, but I don't know if they are oldies or newer. I need to spend some time online trying to ID them. All my named ones are from 80s and 90s.
I would be interested in doing this swap if someone wants newer ones for older ones.

Is this the way it works??? Everyone sends rhizomes to Neal in groups of 3. You tell him what you want..names or colors... You put description or pics of what you sent...you send him money to pay for shipping someone else's irises back to you.

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.