Historic Iris Swap Anyone?

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I just happened to think!! I don't think that I have 3 historic irises of one kind that I can let go!!! I know I have an extra Rosy Wings, San Francisco, Vanity, as well as others...but not three of each in most cases.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

It would be fine to send singles and get back quantities of 3.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I am interested in any of the very old irises. I would like to have 2 or 3 pallida to compare
with a tall, spindly, light blue I have. Anything having the typically narrow veined falls I
associate with the heirloom types. Color is not important. 2 to 3 of each kind would be
ideal in order to guarrantee survival.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I don't care how we do this as long as I get back diff ones. How ever you work it will be fine with me. BEV

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

One might not make it two have a better chance and three is a good start.
Flavencens 1813 guys. I can get three of these maybe more.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i have several old ones but some of them have already bloomed. when i send what i send it could be any one of several growing in the same spot. so can't even i.d them for color. i do have a few named old ones though.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I am willing to take surprise iris,kinda like a grab bag.^_^

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey MAMA!!!

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Pagardener61 wrote;"Margo, Shame on you, there is NO lowly yellows! "

I'm actually quite fond of them, but that's ALL the former owners had. I suspect she has a real attachment to the colors yellow and pink, as they predominate in all flowers here. I went by their new home recently, and there is a huge patch of the same yellow Iris, which they must have moved with them.

So, here they are. I'm more than willing to arrange a trade for the ones that others have in adundance.

Thumbnail by catmad
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I had a huge white one like that with an orange beard. I lost it with tradeing and giving away and I would love to find some more. Anyone have these?? BEV

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Margo, those are very lovely! And yours is exactly the kind of situation that got me thinking about this swap- lots of one variety and desire to try others. If you can spare several rhizomes to fill a box, all the other participants can try 1-3 of yours, you'll get back the same number of different varieties from everyone else. Each new pic is making this very exciting!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

d--fly, the pic you posted of Flavencens 1813 looks like the one my aunt had when I was a kid. Does it have a citrus tone to the scent to you? I always wondered if it was more the visual suggestion of the color, but those old, pale yellow ones smell lemony to me and many of the blues and purples have a hint of grape scent. Is it just me?- wouldn't surprise me if it is, LOL.

The white with orange beard sounds striking. The whites in Janet's pic above look to have a yellow beard (and very lovely too!).

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

They say the older iris are fragrant but I never paid attention. I will now. Mine are not blooming yet but any day now and I will smell them and let you know. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

This old iris appears to be a variation of the species I.germanica. Has a distinctive sweet
fragrance. I put 4 or 5 in a vase on the kitchen counter and you could smell them from
probably 6 feet away. They are quite common and several members have noted they have
them naturalized in large clumps.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i am going to go ahead and get the ones i have together. when are we doing this?

and i am to send them to neal, named if i know them, colors written if i know them, and whatever it costs to mail them to neal i will also include that much money for neal to ship back to me? is that it? if i don't want certain colors or if i already have certain ones (like indian chief) i can write that and neal won't send me another one of those.

and janet.........i still want your man. hahahahaha

i got a new rose yesterday....bebop....my goodness it's a shocker.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Mama, there are times I would let you have him! LOL Not often, but you know what I mean!

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i just had a great find today. they are tall and yellow and i guess they are spuria iris. can i send one of those neal? also have a white one. both came from old texas house places. or are we just doing tb iris?

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I don't know what happened but all my tall iris are going rto bloom short this yr. Never seen this before. BEV

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

now bev, what does it mean to "bloom short"? giggling here cause whatever it is we don't say it that way down here. is it good or is it bad? you got to 'splain it to me lucy.

and i'm just gonna go ahead and apologize to neal again for my sorry thread behavior henceforth STB.

and the next thing, the thing i got on here to say i have forgotten.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Ok! mama, I mean that the fans and scapes are all real short this yr. They are usually half again as tall . In other northern words LOL I guess as long as they bloom it is ok and the wind won't blow them over like all other yrs. Is this ok??? HE HE just joshin!!!

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well i'd say bloomin' short would be a good thing. tehe texas renegade was as tall as me and i'm 5'8" andthose danged 20-30 mph texas winds just did him in.

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

I would love to get in on this historic trade. I have several that are from the 1930's.

Here is Evolution:

Nana3

Thumbnail by Nana3
Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

And here is 'Wabash'

Nana3

Thumbnail by Nana3
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Nana ,
that is a beautiful iris I have that one on my ''want'' list.
^_^ Cinda

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

I have several more pics to post, but need to get off for a bit...be back a little later with a few more photos. It has been raining buckets full here the last few days and the blooms are not staying long. I'll try and get a few more pics of this years blooms in the next few days...most of my pics will be from last years blooming season.

Back later,
Nana3

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

oh nana i want those. janet i saw several i loved. oh my goodness.

Gainesville, TX

I believe these to be Violet Harmony. I think they are great

Thumbnail by sharondippity
Gainesville, TX

My favorite oldie...Easter Bonnet

Thumbnail by sharondippity
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I love the historics, but most of mine are too young to trade. But I do have enough of the iris germanica to fill a flat rate box. Although I don't know if anyone would be interested in these. But if so, I would love to join.

Mine are the true iris germanica. I got them from Superstition Iris Gardens, so I know they are true to name. Here's the picture from Superstition.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2681470480032621402ZnZUCA

Now these are not to be confused with the old name for irises, german iris or germanic iris, These are the true collected form.

But if no one wants to trade for these, I'll just skip this trade, and do the next one when i have more to trade, boo hoo, LOL :).

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

A few more pics of some I have, some I haven't a photo on file....so will have to post a pic when they bloom. Just want to say this....these were once unknowns and came from my Grandmother's iris gardens. Some have been identified at Hips as "posssibly being"...of course it will be best to grow side by side for a more factual identification. The trouble with doing so is that some I have seem to not be commercially available.
Maybe someday I can acquire a rhizome of some of what I have and then I will give a confident identification after growing them side by side. Here are the some I have:

Nana3

'Flora Zenor' 1941

Thumbnail by Nana3
Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

"Bermuda Sand' 1939

Nana3

Thumbnail by Nana3
Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

'Antigone' 1938

Nana3

Thumbnail by Nana3
Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

'Missouri' 1933

Nana3

Thumbnail by Nana3
Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

'Glen-Ellen' 1939

This cultivar is very quick to multiply and the blooms are quite large.

I'll post a single bloom and then I will post my clump which "must" be divided this year. This is two years after planting 2 nice sized rhizomes.

This message was edited May 2, 2009 10:14 PM

Thumbnail by Nana3
Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

'Glen-Ellen clump which needs thinned. This was last years photo...the clump is much larger this year.

Nana3

Thumbnail by Nana3
Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Getting late for me...dreamland is calling...I'll post more tomorrow night.
Goodnight everyone.

Nana3

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Mama, after they're finished blooming is a good time to dig and divide, so I'm thinking if everyone gets their rhizomes sent to me by the end of June, that should give enough time for them to finish blooming around the country. Then I'll get everyone's rhizomes sent back in the first couple of weeks of July. I was just thinking about bearded types for this swap, although I'd love to try your spurias. You mentioned Lilies on the other thread, so perhaps we can arrange a trade for other things later and only concern ourselves with beardeds for this swap.

sharondippity, Easter Bonnet is so pretty! Cute user name :-)

Polly, I think a box of those "for sure" germanicas would be great!

Nana, you have a wonderful collection! Flora Zenor is really special, and I love the coloring of Glen-Ellen.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I think that is a good idea. Just haveing thr bearded would be very be very less confusing. BEV
This is Crinkled Joy but may not have enough for this trade. My favorite other than Babbling Brook the baby blue one. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

oh Nana
I love those, all of them!

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

I'll be back on later in the evening....I'm letting my daughter have her 4 yr. old son's birthday party here and I have some dusting and vacumning to do.

Later,
Nana3

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.