Historic Iris Swap Anyone?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Folks!

3 years ago, after living in a woodland environment for 5 years, I moved back to the sunny, open Bluegrass region, and am so happy to be able to grow bearded Iris again! Starting again from scratch, I've been gradually adding some each year, mostly through trades and starts from other gardeners. Now I've got lots of space for plants, and enjoying being able to plant in masses that show up well from a distance in this big yard. Vigorous Historics have been a perfect, cost effective way of doing just that...and I have a sentimental love for growing nostalgic plants and enjoying blooms my grandmother may have loved.

Many old Iris have been passed along for many years, and the names long since lost. I'm interested in acquiring other colors and varieties for extended bloom time and to add variety to the garden, but not really concerned too much with names. Finding names for old stands can be challenging too. If you know the name, that's super! But I'd hate to miss out on some great old iris just because its a "Jane Doe" :-)

I have some general ideas how we could do this, but I'm most certainly open to suggestions. I'm thinking each participant send a flat rate box full of rhizomes, whether its packed with all a single variety, or a combination, along with postage $ to return the same size box to you. Sort of gearing this to folks who may have plenty of just a variety or two, and would like to start a collection (but certainly open to anyone who'd just like to get in on the fun!). I would pack a variety of those sent for each participant, each receiving back the same number of rhizomes they sent.

If you don't know the name, as much info as possible would be good, and pictures even better. Since so many are blooming now, its a good time to get good pictures. Notes on height, fragrance, vigor, bloom size, and bloom time would be helpful too.

I'm going to post this in the plant trading and group trades forums as well- I'm thinking many may have a stand or two of old iris in their gardens, but don't consider themselves "iris people", and may not frequent this forum. As far as timing, I'm flexible, but thinking have everyone's boxes to me by the end of June, and get everyone's boxes mailed back out the first couple of weeks of July.

Any thoughts?
Neal

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Just happened to think of something else. I'd ask that each participant inspect their rhizomes closely, wash and dry them well, and give a soak in 10% bleach solution, as a precaution. We don't want to unwittingly introduce some pest or disease to each others gardens. I'll inspect upon sorting as well.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Sounds like fun to me! I have several clumps of OLD iris...not sure of the names on them...I do have Indian Chief and Crimson King that I know for sure are correctly named though...lots of RED Zinger too...her is a picture of that one...don't know how old it is though...it is not as tall as some of mine either...hmmm.

Thumbnail by JanetS
Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Count me in!!
debc

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Crimson King

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Indian Chief

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Old NOID white

Thumbnail by JanetS
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Crimson King
:)

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Concord Velvet
A

Thumbnail by avmoran
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That's a sultry one, Janet! Makes me think of satin and velvet, lovely! I'm not really concerned with how old the varieties are, was just thinking those would be the varieties folks would have scads of extras of. I think they're supposed to be at least 50 years old to be considered Historic- not sure though.

That may make a difference to some folks looking for definite historics. I'm good with each participant listing attributes they're looking for (height, color, historical status, etc.), and not looking for. If they're are enough participants, I can sort out "custom collections" for each participant. Wouldn't that be fun!

Great Deb! What kind of Iris do you grow? :-)

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I just joined the Historic Preservation Society HIPS and they say 30 yrs and older but are considering newer ones now too because the last two generations are not growing iris like we are so should try to preserve all. My thing is the tall and intermediate bearded. I would like to do this. Mine are just starting. I have a suggestion. If you are sending differant colors should send at least three of each for a good start next yr. Just my two cents. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

I would be interested. I have alot of older tb's. Right now my minatures and intermediates are beginning to bloom. Some of the Tb's are budding up. I have a light yellow with heavy gold veins, bought in the 60's, it is very vigourous multiplier and bloomer, the yellow fades to white over time. And more oldies. Some I suspect but am not too sure if they would qualify though so I will leave them out.

I love the reds and the Indian Cheif posted above! Beautiful!

Kathy

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Bev, I like the idea of sending different colors in 3s, or at least that would work well for me too. That's something I can do in customizing each person's box too, then if some would like singles of as many varieties as possible, they can have them that way as well.

Kathy, if you want to include some that you're not sure about the age, that would be fine as long as that's noted on the label. That yellow one sounds lovely.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

The other reason that I said three was that Irises walk, so I plant two facing one way and the third in the middle not real close facing the other way. BEV

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

another picture of the one I think is Crimson King...may be wrong....I will try to find out for sure though....it really is not the color of the Concord Velvet, to my eye...lol cameras seem to have trouble catching the colors of the purple/reds/and some blues for me.

Thumbnail by JanetS
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Looks like Germanica to me. If it blooms before all others it is. Here is mine. Go to hips-roots.com and look at it. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes it does look a lot like that one too....well, whatever the name, I have lots of them. lol

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

That second one looks more like it
CK is a very small flower for a TB/IB
A

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Thus is the problem of IDing from Photos
LOL

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

So true!!!!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

The pinks and the light blues are the hardest I think. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree it is very hard to ID with pictures only. I have several blues that I can't figure out and a couple of reds as well. And one very tall dark purple one too.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Here's a good link pixie shared with me- helpful in iding:

http://www.hips-roots.com/visitors/v-photos/vp-topframe.html

I have a hard time capturing the color on some blues, they often photograph more purple.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Does everyone have the really old pallida? I have them growing out my ears!! If people want them I can send lots, but if everyone has those and since it is so very common should I omit it or include it? ( I do have other oldies I can send instead!)

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL
I think EVERYONE in the midatlantic has it next to or close to their mail boxes
LOL
LOL

and EVERYONE has lots
LOL
A

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

All I have to share would be old NOID yellows. That's all that was here.
I would be quite happy with any that are "just irises". I'm really interested in the ones that have been "family" flowers, but I know that would be impossible to track in a swap like this. I'd be quite happy with anything that is sent, and the named ones could go to those who know much more, and who actually have a plan *G*
Is there room for my lowly yellows?

Margo

Editied to say I don't have any.....of course, I'm not MidAtlantic, have I wandered too far afield ?

This message was edited May 1, 2009 2:32 PM

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Is this the Pallida that you are talking about? BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Thanks for posting the roots link above, I have learned my Butterfly Wings is an oldie, well not real old. I love Quaker Lady ! I got lost in the pics over there and then started to click on the links for more pics of old irises, I love the site with the Schreiner's Catalogs on it, that is neat.

Margo, Shame on you, there is NO lowly yellows! Not in an iris! bet it is pretty.

Kathy

I have a few clumps of striped (varigated) iris, swords are yellow/green striped and really stand out. What is it? Modern?
Kathy

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

dragonfly62...I don't think that is the same one, but it could be. Mine look a bit smaller and the falls a bit shorter. They are TB. I was really thinking that maybe we could exclude it from the trade...does anyone have objections to that? I am open to any other old ones...NOID or named. Even if I get some that I already have that would be ok...just not those.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

pagardener61
I think those are the same as the old pallidas, just bred for variegated leaves more recently. I just received some of those in a trade and really like the foliage. Those are different enough to be neat. Don't get me wrong...I keep my pallidas because they smell so good and I cut to bring inside. My other kinds, I leave in the garden to admire!! LOL!

Do the true pallidas more thinner swords than the other TB's. I have one that has narrower swords than any other and is a soft lavender color , so pretty. But I forgot to sniff them last year so I don't know if they are scented! Kathy

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Mine are and so are the spaths more slender on mine.

South Hamilton, MA

The older pallida TBs are smaller than the modern tetraploids. Film & blue irises are not compatable unless you use filters.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I have several of that variety I believe.

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Also this one with a much smaller flower...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

this is an old yellow one I have..

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

another old one...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Margo, I have no old yellows myself, so I'd surely welcome them, and I'm sure others would too. Has me wondering if they may be the same as those my aunt grew when I was a child- I always thought they smelled kinda lemony.

Golly Deb, that's a good question about the Pallidas. I don't think I have any growing here, so I'd welcome some at least, but we'll see what others say.

Look at the variety of just those that pics have been posted of, no 2 look quite the same!

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Yes, I love all of the pics!! If most people would prefer NOT to put them in the exchange, I know a lot of us would do a private trade with those that want them, including me. Or maybe I should just ask " PLEASE, no blue pallidas ( of the really old kind!) for me". I will try to post a pic of the one that grows here at every Tom, Dick, and Mary's house!
Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.