Who knows that you are a gardener?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)
There are a total of 502 votes:

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a gardener.
(310 votes, 61%)
Red dot

Close friends and family know that I garden.
(86 votes, 17%)
Red dot

The mailman, UPS driver and the Fed-X person all know that I garden!
(74 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Most folks do not think of me as a gardener. (why?)
(22 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Other. (tell us!)
(10 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

This is going to be a landslide vote!!
Anyone who knows me has been gifted with plants!!!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

*jaw drops* I did not know Marlene Dietrich was a gardener, too!!!!!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aaahhh...one of my friends posted a blog calling me the Green Man, and that I bleed green.. Co-workers began asking me plant questions. What gave it away? The fact that my PC is constantly showing exotic plants and is always on DG?
I guess I'm out ..and proud

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

My neighbors think I'm a gardener, my friends know I enjoy nature. I don't think of myself as a gardener, I just enjoy working with nature, in whatever capacity I can.

Oshawa, Canada

Friends,family and neighbours know I garden and love it! Any time in Spring, I get the urge to go to the local nursery to pick out that perfect plant to put in that carefully selected, special bare spot of our garden. I would buy every plant in the place, but I have a loving wife who reigns me in when I get a little too enthusiastic. It for me, is not a hobby or pasttime, but a lifestyle that I have come to truly love. I really enjoy Springs' renewal and the sight of the first buds appearing in our gardens

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I've been gardening ever since I got married. I got my first Rose from my mom as a gift from her garden, and I still have it. I've been married for 35 yrs in JUne.

Susan105

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

I noticed if you even mention a few plants by their real names people assume you know a lot about plants! Since I don't consider myself knowledgeable in the garden just yet I keep my "knowledge" limited to friends and family.

Buffalo, NY

Can I have an autograph Ms. Dietrich!!!!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I picked the mailman, FedEx, etc. just because I buy most of my plants mail order. I got a rose in the mail yesterday. In truth, anybody who knows me more than superficially knows that I am a gardener. When I retired I took collages of my garden to my retirement party to show everybody what I was going to be doing after. My boss (who I worked with for 9 years) was surprised...shows you how much attention she paid to me.

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

What Postmandug said, yep, that's me, also:

Quoting:
Most people do not know what an avid gardener I am. I've been gardening/landscaping for years but have really gone nuts over it just in the past two years.

[chuckling]

Linda

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

even people that don't know me know that i am a gardener. this year with all the blooms people are dropping by to say that they have been watching me all these years out there rain or shine digging, digging, digging.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

This could have used an "All of the above" choice.

South Hamilton, MA

We are known in town for our irises--There are little ones?? Right now the daffodils are blooming in front of our roadside stone wall & we get off season comments on how much people like them. Sorry about the nasty & expensive neighbors 'addicted,' hope it cost them as much.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cetainly Planter 56 ^_^

Monticello, IA

I'm sure there is a lists somewhere but it would be fun to do our own DG list.
we can copy this list and add your own to keep it going :).

You know you are a Gardener when:

(1) You can quote the exact composition and Ph of your compost
(2) Your adult daughter calls you to ask how the babies(newly sprouted seeds) are.
(3) People recognize your tush better than your face (lol)
(4) You'll drive over 100 miles to collect the trees because you don't trust UPS.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2009 1:30 PM

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

This made me laugh . . . I voted for my mailperson because while I don't buy a ton of plants via mailorder, my mail lady has been monitoring my gardening efforts over the last few years. Since I'm often out working when she comes to deliver the mail, she checks up on me and gives her opinions and advice. Last week she told me she was proud of me and all the progress I've made! Cracks me up.

Stormville, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm more of an indoor plant person than an outdoor one - but with several plants always flourishing happily on my desk at work and windows full of plants at home, I think everyone knows.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

With hands like mine and broken fingernails I am sure they are suspect! I try to use gloves but before I know it my hands are dirty.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

My name says it all....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Good grief! Is that a coleus? Nah, gotta be a bunch,right? Very nice!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WOWSER a coleus tree!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

My friends are learning the hard way that I'm a gardening nut. One friend just started a vegetable patch this year and asked me via email how much she should be watering. I returned with a five paragraph answer that covered drip irrigation, mulching, the importance of watering deeply but infrequently, etc.

I don't think she'll be asking for any more advice...lol!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Coleus can get big>

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No kiddin. Does it die back in the winter in FL or keep going?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

They are evergreen shrubs in the greenhouse.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A coleus forest. Cool.

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Wow, I have never seen coleus that size! I had a friend in California who had some impressive houseplants, but nothing like these! Nice!

Glenview, IL

OH wow! Dale, your Colius is outragous!! Loving them all.

Everyone and anyone knows, I am not a gardener, I'm the weather girl!
LOL, I am always asked because I talk so much of the gardens people know
I can smell the rain!
And also, not everyone goes around hugging trees and talking to plants...gasp, in pulic even.

Love the list, you should create a thread
This is a fun to read.

enjoy the sun kiss today

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Yep, coleus get big down here>

Thumblina>

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

lol...... seedtosser i not only talk to the plants but i also talk to the mockingbirds and thank them for eating the bugs and the bees and i pet the bees.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I have serious coleus envy...

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Coleus are one of the best tropicals on the planet, there are at least a thousand different kinds, here are three>

Rehoboth, MA

I am, therefore I am a gardener!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm one of the fortunate few who gets to earn a living doing it. So yeah, most people know. Definitely all my co-workers and neighbors.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Pretty much just a couple of family members and a few co-workers at one job (of three) know that I garden. The rest of my family and co-workers just think that I work and play volleyball all the time. That's pretty true too! lol

Family and couple friends.

Tilaran, Costa Rica

My accountant.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

lol!! I guess if there's anyone that should know, it should be your accountant!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.