Who knows that you are a gardener?

There are a total of 502 votes:

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a gardener.
(310 votes, 61%)
Red dot

Close friends and family know that I garden.
(86 votes, 17%)
Red dot

The mailman, UPS driver and the Fed-X person all know that I garden!
(74 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Most folks do not think of me as a gardener. (why?)
(22 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Other. (tell us!)
(10 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Most people do not know what an avid gardener I am. I've been gardening/landscaping for years but have really gone nuts over it just in the past two years.

Doug

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

While I have a garden, I enjoy my garden, and spend way more money than I should on plants, even I don't consider myself a gardener, so I doubt anyone else would. There are many other things I would consider myself first.

Deb

Riverdale, NJ(Zone 6a)

Going with the "spirit" of the question, I answered as 1. However, I was tempted to answer as other. I have written several popular gardening articles for various websites (like http://www.epinions.com/review/Jiffy_Starter_Pellets/content_347646496388), so lots of people I don't know also know I am a gardener. C'est la vie.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

I share a lot of my garden produce with friends, I think some are every bit as eager for the tomatoes and cucumbers and sweet potatoes to be ready as I am.
I just went for close friends and family.
Russ

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

People might 'think' I garden but I don't 'think' of myself as a gardener. Lots of those people KNOW I like green stuff though...

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

We seem to have a limited number of family and friends so naturally they know that I love to garden especially when I go to someone's house and the first thing I do is stoop down and pull a weed. Wish I could break that habit.

Ann

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

I voted for close friends and family know I'm a gardener.

My neice has gardened with me for about 6 years, (she's 16 now) and together we've sparked her interest in gardening and growing things. She's learned alot, and now she actually enjoys weeding her own gardens.

Everyone at work knows I garden, because I bring in flower filled vases all spring/summer/fall for our desks.

today's vases contain the very first daffodils of the season!

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

I voted for the UPS man, the FedEx man, and the mailman--who are either stopping by with plants or seeds for me, or say Hi when they see me working in the garden. Otherwise, my family and friends know...my students know...my neighbors know...and probably most of my colleagues know. In fact, I'm not sure who DOESN'T know I garden.

I'm not sure I'd actually call myself a gardener, though...too many dead plants trailing in my wake. :)

pam

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Most everyone who knows me knows that I'm rather fanatical about gardening-I do need to include (and thanks!) my mail man (I swear I've heard a few swear words as he drops multiple packages off), the UPS and Fed-ex folks as well.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I think EVERYONE knows I am a gardener! I know my family and friends all know, because it's the first thing they ask me every spring...have you been in your gardens yet??
My hubby works in our small grocery in town part time...and since it is a very small town, people always ask him about our gardens...and what I'm doing this year, etc.
So yeah...they all know we garden!!!

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

Everyone. Simply everyone.

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

My family, friends, blog followers, post office workers, UPS, high school principal, some teachers, moms friends etc... Just about everybody!

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Anyone knows I am a gradener; my front yrad is where I garden.
But the UPS and FedEx people know every plant by name, they brought them all to me!!

Waynesville, MO

Most people do not think I would be a gardener. I grew up planting veggie gardens with my parents and when I moved out at 19 I started planting my own. (Thats what sealed the deal with my now husband...he was impressed!) Most people my age were not associated with that hobby. I am now 27 and I'm growing for my first farmers market. People are still suprised. People are not suprised that we are cattle farmers but when they find out about our garden they are. I don't get it.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

They all know...but they don't all understand. The neighbors really think I'm certifiable. City folk. :-(

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

They all know I really am addicted. My neighbors actually sued me over it! They hate it that I'm always out there changing things and that landscaping stuff is always being delivered (compost, mulch etc.) They found out that Judges do NOT like their time wasted and that a picture really is worth 1000 words. I found out that "cultured people" don't grow veggies where they might be seen, even if mixed in so well with other landscaping that you don't notice them. Hubby found out winning was worth the 10 grand it cost....It's cheaper than the psychiatrist and meds I'd need if I couldn't garden LOL

Highland, MD(Zone 7a)

If you come to my house you know for sure, close friends and family know too. Others though, not so much, I mean it isn't like I go out with a sign on my car that says I'm a gardener lol!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Anyone who knows me including the mailman, Ups drivers and Fedex drivers. They get to lug the many orders to the garage and say she's at it again.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Everyone knows, simply because I'm fanatical about showing anyone my successes, and colour scheme, plus the new types of flowers that they don't know about and have never seen.
People @ the church know because I tend their gardens, lawn, and indoor plants LOL
("She's at it again - it must be spring!!" is what they say)

I miss the longer springs/summers of Winnipeg, but I value the diversity of Calgary. When a beautiful plant that no one else knows grows in Calgary, it's really quite
self-affirming!

I love my flowering trees & bushes that I didn't have in Winnipeg - my lilac there was a tiny bush of 2 yrs old, and I'd never seen a Waterton Mock Orange until I moved to Calgary (now I have 2 - one 3 yr old and one about 7 yrs old - both bloom).
Gotta love Calgary!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

If anyone who knows me doesn't know I'm a gardener, they aren't paying attention.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTF, I'm pretty sure the UPS guy is on to me and this gardening thing by now.

Hilliard, OH(Zone 6b)

any body who sees me off a street would never in a million years think that i am a gardener. i guess its too hard seeing a teenage "emo" kid in the dirt. lol, but i love it. im just wierd, but seriously, im in love with it. i even work at the local nursery. im always giving people advice. when my teacher found out i garden, she even asked me why her tomato plant was not growing fruit. lol i have proven that gardening isnt just for girls and retired senior citizens. lol

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I think it is my hands/fingernails that give me away ! I have a little wrought Iron chair that I put in my front garden near the street with a big bowl or vase filled with what ever I have a lot of with a sign that says "free to a good home" I have never had any thing left by the end of the day.
laura

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Most folks around here are growers or work with plants... We also are known by 'nicknames' like "Big Shawn", 'Anthurium Annie', so I am 'Hoya Carol'... Growing is much celebrated here with plant sales, lei, etc..... PLUS my fingernails (what fingernails?)

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I know the mailman knows that I garden. I'm sure the UPS guy has figured it out, too. The people I worked with knew because I was always giving way surplus aloes and irises and cherry tomatoes and stuff.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Everybody I know knows I garden, and so do the FedEx man, the UPS man, and the mailman. I think I'm the only one in my building who gardens. All my clients know I garden too. (I'm a realtor.) Yesterday one of them said, "I go out in the back yard to look at whether it's a good yard for my daughter. You go in the back yard just to see all the plants!" Yes!

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Everyone who knows me, and a lot of people who don't know me too!

Buffalo, NY

Hmmm it could be the slight green tinge my nails get, but I think everyone knows that I am a gardener. Or, it could be because I talk to the plants.....:) I think those men in the white coats are just waitin around the corner to net me :) hehehehhe

Santa Fe, NM

I put the mailman, etc. because they always see me working on the front garden. Lots of people who don't know me at all stop and look at my front yard. Today I met a nice older couple from Texas. The back is private, tho.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

On the way home on the commuter train this evening, I started up a conversation with a complete stranger. She was looking thru a nursery catalog that I've not only ordered from during the past few years, but I've visited the nursery while out of town. Before I got off at my stop, I had already highly recommended the nursery, advised her on the best plants for her boggy area, and explained the catalog's rating system for plants. She seemed pleased to receive the free advice that I was more than happy to share. I'm not a secret gardener.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Pretty much everyone who knows me and doesn't know me. I worked at a garden for 2 and a half years and I used to bug the gardeners there then pass the advice on to visitors and friends. Now I work at a grocery store and I take care of the greenhouse. So people who don't know me now know that I garden cause I am always giving out advice about certain plants. I now have regular customers who just can't stay away. LOL.

My whole family is also into gardening so I also inherited my gardening gene. I did not inherit a weeding gene though cause only once or twice a year will you see all the beds completely weeded. They are usually half full of weeds. LOL

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

I am a wanna be gardener. I have always enjoyed growing plants etc. since I was a child. My passion started out with flower boxes filled with seeds that grew to tiny edible and tender vegetables. I even ordered strawberry plants from a catalog in the 60's. I will have been on my job this year, 35 years. Co-workers who have finally retired, always ask if I am still planting things and what do I have on my desk?. People come to me that I do not know with a withered dried out unknown plant in a pot. (I have also been the victim of theft of my plants at work, only the pretty and green ones disappear). LOL.
I have a high shelf in my apartment that I have put a protective barrier around so that the plants are secure and my cat Torrie can not use them as her personal kitty greens. I have received some nice cuttings from the DG members and have in the last 3 months ordered more than 30 orchid cactus plants or cuttings (nothing blooming yet) along with a few airplants and plant & flower books. You should see the bags of soil, pots and gardening tools. Does that make me a gardener?. In my heart I am.
Ivy who dreams of plants.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes you are a gardener, Ivy, yes you are. I started gardening in an apartment that had no place outside with dirt at all, I had one lonely little plant on a shelf my cat knocked it off and I decided to move, found a place with a yard, and there I went.

I laughed at the answer about the UPS and Fed Ex and all, yup. But everyone else too. My cousin recently connected with someone I knew about 15 or so years ago, and when he found out she is my cousin his way of asking about me was "Kyla the gardener? I have wondered how she is!"

And then there was the time I moved cross country and needed a reference for a place I went to rent and the landlady at my previous place spoke highly enough of me that I got my rental, and it turned out the main thing she praised was the garden I created where I lived.......

so I guess pretty much everyone knows.

;-)

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

You can tell by my soiled knees. I come into work with my farmer tan and everyone knows I spent the weekend in the garden!

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

My friends know I'm a gardener, but it's kind of funny to watch people's faces (mostly customers and business aquaintances) when they enter what I consider to be my "paradise"...They're like who on earth planted all this and looks after it? haha.

Thumbnail by KatG
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I work from home (telecommute). One of my co-workers, who also happens to be a good friend, often tells my other co-workers that if they can't find me during the warmer months it's likely because I'm "outside communing with green things."

Yep, everyone knows I'm a gardener, from my closest friends and family to the folks I know on Facebook. ;)

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

KatG, you can't possibly be a "real" gardener.....that's WAY too clean and tidy! :-) Where are all the tipped out bags of potting soil and stacks of dirty pots waiting to be washed and replanted, and little shriveled up plants that didn't quite make it? Oops, I think I'm giving myself away!
Lovely pic and CUTE pups!

Windham, ME(Zone 5a)

Doesn't being on Dave's tell it all?Actually ever since I joined Dave's I think "my problem " has become worse,so many choices ,subjects to choose from.Endless gardening!!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No one knows that I am a gardener because I'm not one. I stole Dahlianut's identity. I am really Marlene Dietrich and I don't garden. I have kickbutt cheek bones though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.