What's Blooming in your garden? #2 share your photo

Santa Ynez, CA

yes, sunny hot here, but very windy, really trashing the flowers......wind not helping the fire situation, and not ready for fire season........and awesome photos, your killing me here, makes me want to add to my list, again.....LOL

Cherryvale, KS

Moonlit Water Happy Wed. BIF's!! I need Honey House!!!!!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Visual Intrigue is beatiful. Lots of beauties here.

Hebron, KY

Maiden bloom of Connection. Blooming May 6, 2009

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Closeup of Connection

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Pic of Connection plant

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Maiden bloom of Altered States on May 6, 2009

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Closeup of Altered States

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Oops!

Meant to post these pics in #3 and I've added them there now.

Marilyn

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Marilynbeth, your photo, "Pic of Connection plant" (Post #6515705) is beautiful. Your plants are so healthy and happy with the gravel around them. It makes for a very lovely scene. I see that the rhizomes are covered too, ours get that way too and do well. What kind of gravel or ground covering do you use? We use decomposed gravel in our driveway and garden paths. We have all sorts of plants that reseed in this gravel and they love it. I've have thought of using the gravel for our TBI, but wasn't sure I should. Now, I am re-thinking my choice.

More photos everyone! I am sure enjoying them.

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I would like to know about the gravel too. I am a compulsive mulcher and going to put my first iris bed in this summer. I have to put SOMETHING in between the iris for weed control and wonder if the gravel would work better than hardwood mulch.

Hebron, KY

Thanks for the nice words! :)

The flowerbed had pea gravel already http://davesgarden.com/guides/terms/go/652/ (I added it for xeriscape plants I planted for this bed before the Irises) in it when I started planting Irises in the Fall of 2007. I really don't think the pea gravel is ok for them and I'm trying to remove it to at least the sides of the flowerbed and not surrounding the rhizomes. If I see any pea gravel on top and/or too close to the rhizomes, I remove it. I'm still trying to get it done, but it's a slow process for me.

I'm sure the experienced and alot more 'Iris fanatics' will chime in regarding the pea gravel and Irises. Don't add any to your Iris beds until you find out more.

Marilyn

Cherryvale, KS

In The Spotlight It is getting bad-can't remember what I 've posted!! Happy Thursday BIF's!! Flower show Saturday, then off to KC on Monday!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Hebron, KY

Have a good and safe trip to KC Nicky!

Marilyn

South Hamilton, MA

Wood mulch not good for bearded irises. It holds moisture which leads to rot. I think that a light pea gravel mulch would be better.

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hold My Hand - Better picture today!

Thumbnail by cathysplants
Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hot Spiced Wine

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Southwest Sandy Pink Iris

Thumbnail by bamagirl35973
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oooh! I like that one! Course I wouldn't turn down Hot Spiced Wine or Hold My Hand either.

Santa Ynez, CA

love that southwest pink......WOW

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Side note on the gravel.. You would not believe how many seedlings of columbine,hollyhocks, I have coming up in my pea gravel.. on top of landscape fabric. Not sure how they got there....lol. Maybe this is a new way to start them. I think gravel is a great idea for mulch. And I agree that the wood chips will encourage rot........ and slugs, snails, roly polys,, especially if you get lots of rain like we have had in the past month. Here is Laced Cotton

Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1

OK, gravel sounds better than the hardwood mulch. Now, what type of gravel should I use or doesn't it make any difference?

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

I can't give any advice on this, but whichever kind you use, I wouldn't put it over the rhizome. The warmth from the gravel in the winter would probably be good for them.

Elaine

South Hamilton, MA

small pea gravel.

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's another of my seedlings that bloomed for the first time yesterday. The parentage is Stellar Lights and Raging Tiger.

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Fashion Frolic

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Love the color on this one - Dandy Candy

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ball of Confusion

Ok, thanks. I will look for gravel after I fix up my new planting areas.

Dayton, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi all!

I usually hang on the daylily fourm but wanted to share over here today. I waited 2 years for my little piece of Horned Dragonfly to get big enough to bloom ...and today was the day!

Thumbnail by lilydaydreamer
Dayton, KY(Zone 6a)

Solid Mahogany is in full bloom.

Dayton, KY(Zone 6a)

an unknown - was mislabeld it is definetly not pink!

Dayton, KY(Zone 6a)

Megabucks always puts on a show!

Dayton, KY(Zone 6a)

Close up/art shot of Megabucks. Thanks for letting me share!

Lisa

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

i love the color on that megabucks
heres alien mist

Thumbnail by iris28
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Love Megabucks!

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow - Megabucks - just hit my most wanted list!! Love the coloring!!!

Dana

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Kiss Me Quick today in the wind.

Thumbnail by boojum

Another no name pink SDB with bluish beards.

Thumbnail by boojum

Erin Go Braugh SDB.

Thumbnail by boojum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.