Tod's dahlias for postage

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think they are trying their level best to bounce back with all that flushing the rain has brought. I hope to supplement with foliar feeding to get them going, I've had luck with that in the past. If it should stop raining long enough for me to get it to stick! This week I've been on insecticide assault duty.

Coushatta, LA

Tod,so sorry to hear all the rain you are getting.I hope it stops their soon for you.It is bone dry here,wish we had a little rain.It would do us alot of good.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Tod - are you on assault duty for pests that are affecting your dahlias, or other plants? I have only grown a few dahlias in the past, and have not noticed any pest problems. I was wondering what I could expect.

Coushatta, LA

Here is some of the plants i got from Tod.It is 6 of them so far.The pictures look kind of crappy because i used my flash and it was at night time.This is how they look now.

Picture 1

Thumbnail by TheAngelGirl
Coushatta, LA

Picture 2

Coushatta, LA

Picture 3

Coushatta, LA

Picture 4

Coushatta, LA

Picture 5

Coushatta, LA

Picture 6.I am still waiting for two of them to come up.

I guess what pests you have depends on where you are. Here we have a LOT of chewing insects, like hoppers. Also a LOT of spider mites, a few Japanese Beetles, plenty of aphids, probably thrips (I think that's what they are). Gets worse every year. I tried predatory bugs but they just leave in a day. I buy lots and lots of Spinosad-based insecticide.

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

Tod... the only remedy I've found for some of those pests is a recipe I mix up myself... 1/3 cup ammonia, 1/3 cup vinegar, and 1/3 cup dish soap. Then I put 1/4 cup of that mixture in a 2 gallon pressure sprayer, and spray the leaves of everything on my property... I do that about once a month.
I suppose it taste pretty bad, and they don't like to chew the leaves any more.
It doesn't seem to affect the aphids, but I did find a chemical made by Bayer that I mix with water and pour around the drip line of my trees... after 3 years of doing that... the aphids are leaving the trees alone. Never really had a problem with the aphids on my plants, though... don't know why.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow, Tod, looks like you are being assaulted from all sides LoL. I have not heard of Spinosad-based insecticide - will have to google that. My main problem in the garden has been the snails and slugs. Thrips had attacked all my gladiolas and others in that same family, so I have given up growing them. I hope thrips are not affecting your dahlias - they are hard to get rid of without spraying.

Rosegirl - we are bone dry here too.

Hooks, TX

Tod,
My box of dahlia tubers arrived today. I'm anxious to get them in the ground and then go to the dahlia files on DG to see if I can find the colors and types. I didn't have any of the names on the wrapping, so they will be new ones for me.

Thanks very much for being so generous,

Louise

Coushatta, LA

Soilsandup,bone dry is not the world for it.LOL!!!!!Tod,send some of that rain this way.

Coushatta, LA

Here is a update on the dahlia's that came up that i got from Tod.How is everyone elses doing so far and who's has bloomed?

Coushatta, LA

# 2

Coushatta, LA

# 3

Coushatta, LA

# 4

Coushatta, LA

# 5

Thanks for the update! That's a nice support on #5!

Coushatta, LA

Thanks,Tod,you are very welcome.

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

I have a couple blooming. Going out now, if I get home in time this evening will get some pic. and post.

I was surprised at how quick they gave me some blooms.

Coushatta, LA

Thanks,that would be great.

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Here is 1 of my flowers bloom.

Thumbnail by oriole
Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

2nd one. All have buds on.
Dixie

Thumbnail by oriole
Coushatta, LA

Oh,they are so pretty.I guess since you are in a cooler zone your just bottle rocket it through the ground.Thanks for sharing your photos.

As you can see,mine are still little,because i'm in a hotter zone and they don't grow fast with it beening very hot.

Cody

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

yes the weather is strange this yr. We have been cooler than normal and was having a good amt of rain. N ow its getting a little dry.

Coushatta, LA

Well,they are saying that we will get some rain this coming week and i hope we do.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

No blooms on mines yet, but they are growing fairly well. We had many hot days of over 100 degree heat. I did disbud one of them.
Dixie - nice blooms on yours!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Welcome soilsandup. 100 is a tad hot for my taste, but I bet the dahlias like it. Keep watering.

Oriole, your blooms and surrounding yard are so tidy and pretty. Look at the thick stems on the purple/white! Do you know its name?

Rosegirl, I'm with you on the rain wish. No rain in sight for 10 days here. The wildfires have already begun to the north in Canada.

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes it is contraste. Here is another pic of the yellow that I posted. More color showing. Take a look.

Thumbnail by oriole
Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Wow oriole-that's pretty enough to eat! What is that one? Loooove it.

Soilsandup-I thought I had it bad with heat, here, but we haven't gone past mid-90's. Holy peapod-100!?

Pooch, Rosegirl (and many more)-wish I could send you some of our rain. It's been so rainy, I've had very few blooms, with the exception of early summer (May-June) I had quite a few-then the monsoons started. My porch looks ridiculous! Like a dahlia ER; all these sad pots, with tubers that have been dug up, rotted tuber parts cut and re-potted. I knew my good, early start was to good to be true-lol!!!!

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

That was marked Camano Bram. This is my first try at dahlias.My father used to grow lots and lots. Didnt live close so I never helped plant or take care of them.

Yes, that was what I was going to say, Camano Bram, it has an interesting color variance with the weather, I think.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Camano Bram is luscious! Looks like you picked up some dahlia tending genes from your father, oriole.

Tod, I can't wait to see what new ones you picked out this year.

Quee, you'll dry out some day. I have my share of rotters every year, this year wasn't too terribly bad, but there are some dead tubers lying in the woods or in my ever growing 'to-do-pile.'

Coushatta, LA

Oriole,that one is pretty.

Quee,honey mine won't even bloom because it has been so hot,ieven water them everyday.They will start to bloom and the sun will just roast them.So please send some rain,i will even do a rain dance.

Cody

Cody, if you can get some foliar feed, like the Miracle Grow hose feed, or I use Spray n Grow, that would help with the hot weather growth. Its hard for the plants to take up nutrients in the hot weather, but feeding through the leaves helps. As far as watering, you should give them a good drenching every other day if its hot, every 3-4 days otherwise. The roots don't like watering every day.

Coushatta, LA

Tod,thank,you so much.I will get some today.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Ah-that stinks Cody! Nothing worse than getting excited for a bloom, then getting your hopes dashed as it poops out. Would throwing an extra layer of mulch over the roots help? I know it won't save the tender blooms from the sun, but maybe with long-term heat droop? Just a thought. Rain dancing your way!

Coushatta, LA

Yes,it is raining for a change.WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.