Tod's dahlias for postage

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes, its that time again, actually I'm quite late again! I will be offering most of my 2008 tubers in flat rate boxes (one per requester), as many as will reasonably fit and still ensure tuber safety. Last year the box cost was $8.95, I have to check if that went up by now.

I will do this on a first come first serve basis, and keep it going till all are gone. As I go through my orders from this year, I may add some of the freebies that I've received to the available list.Since mooey50, Amos55, and LiliMerci were left without any last year, I am bumping them up to the top of this years requester list. You can post your preferences here, or send me a dmail.

Anyway, you'll find the varieties available below, with a tuber count. This count is the number of tubers I have, they are not all sprouting yet by any means. I don't want to send you a non-sprouting tuber, so I've put them in bags of potting soil by windows, so they should be coaxed awake if possible. As a reference, here are the links to the photos I posted of the offerings. Some available you will not see there, as no decent flowers were produced before frost.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/879379/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/905087/

I may have another contest if I only have one box left and more than one requester remaining.

Here are the varieties available:

Ace Summer Dawn (12), Akita (5), Andriana (2), Bill McNight (2), Bloomquist Glow (3), Bodacious (6), Bonaventure (6), Camano Bram (2), Clearview Magic (4), Clyde's Choice (6), Contraste (4), Corin (2), Crystal Anne (1), Diddly Squat (2), Donald van de Mark (11), Doncourt (2), Earl (12), Edna C (3), Felida Stars n' Stripes (4), Ferncliff Illusion (7), Fernridge Pride (5), Fidalgo Splash (?), Flying Saucer (5), Formby Kaitlin (3), Freedom Fighter (2), Frost Nip (2), Funfair (1), "Grand Prix"(more like Ala Mode)(7) , Hilltop Ivan (2), Inca Trident (2), Jewel Huston (7), Kelvin Floodlight (6), Kenora Clyde (4), Kenora Macop B (7), Korb Kandy Dandy (5), Lady Darlene (4), Lipstick (5), Lula Pattie (7), Maki (4), Masurao (4), Mingus Julie M (7), Mingus Laura (4), Mingus Nicole (8), Mingus Philip II (4), Mingus Randy (4), Mingus Whitney (2), Mish Mash (9), Mom's Special (2), Myrtle's Brandy (3), Mystery "Akita" (2), Mystery Purple Ball (5), Otto's Thrill (19), Papageno (11), Pee Gee (5), Penhill Dark MOnarch (5), Penhill Watermelon (4), Pink Jupiter (1), Purple "Akita" (2), Prime Minister (4), Reese Variegated (9), Regina (8), Rhiannon Tammy (2), Ryedale Rebecca (2), Show n' Tell (6), Sierra Glow (7), Sir Alf Ramsey (5), Spike (6), Storm Warning(3), Swan's Sunset (1), Taiheiyo (6), Tartan (4), Timona Pastel (2 - iffy), Vera Seyfang (4), Walter Wendt (2), Western Sunset (4), Winter Spring (6), Wyn's Cinnabar (2), Wyn's Conquistador (3), Wyn's Desert Glow (5), Wyn's Farmer John (8), Wyn's Moonlight Sonata (6), Wyn's Mystic Moonlight (8), Wyn's Pure Magic (3), Yellow/White "Akita" (5), Zing (6)

Have at it! :)
Tod

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Tod,
I would love a box for postage from you! I did enjoy the ones before from you.
Just put a box together for me. I don't have time to google up all those gorgeous names. Have to go to a job interview so...........
Let me know when to send you a check.

Thanks, Carol

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Tod,

This is so nice of you offer. I just joined DG March 1st and would enjoy participating.

Flat Rate Priority postage is now $10.35 or $13.95 depending on which box size: http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm

Whichever size box you're planning to use is fine with me. I love any Wyn's or feel free to choose for me, I'm not picky, just starting to garden again after 5 years of dormancy.

Thank you so much,
Susan

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Bonaventure
Clyde's Choice
Edna C
Sir Alf Ramsey
Taiheiyo
Wyn's Cinnabar
Wyn's Mystic Moonlight

Is it possible to get these? I don't know how many fit in a box. This is GREAT, Tod. What a treat!

If these won't all fit, leave out Clyde's Choice or Sir Alf Ramsey.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2009 1:24 PM

Carol - will do, good luck with the interview!

Thanks, Susan, for the link. Looking at the weight chart, I might investigate the rate by pounds, it looks like it would be a better deal in many cases. Just dmail me your name and address.

Thanks,
Tod

hart, it is possible, I think it usually ends up 7-10 tubers per box, depending on the size of them. I do have a few monsters this year.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I may have a Dahlia Imperialis available, Breck's sent it to me by mistake. I'll put that up too if someone wants it.

Midwest City, OK(Zone 7b)

Tod,

I would love to get on your list. Please feel free to pick out whatever you have after everybody else gets their choices. Can send a check or will PP, just let me know. Peg

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

Woooo... me too, please !!!

Just a mixed box of what ever you have would be great... I don't have time to look all those up either.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Me Please, Whatever you have to spare will be good, I not fussy. I don't knwo my Dahlias either so everything would be a surprise. and appreciated.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks, Tod. I just edited my post with a couple that could be left out if there isn't enough room. If there's room for more, you can toss an anything you like if it helps with packing or just leave those for other people if you want. Gosh, I'm just thrilled. All of these were on my list of dahlias I wanted to get but didn't buy because I couldn't afford to spend so much.

Your photos here were what I kept coming back to when deciding which dahlias to get.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Tod, making it easy on you, anything in the Mingus series for me.
Some of your dahlias from last year are showing new sprouts. Thank you very much for doing this again!
Jaye

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Tod, I would love to have a large box please? Just surprise me, I will not be picky!
Do you take paypal, check, money order?
Thank you so much.
Linda Kay

Wow, a lot of requests already! All who've requested so far who have not, please send a dmail with your name and address for shipment. Paypal or check is fine, I'll send the appropriate info to you.

Thanks,
Tod

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Am I understanding this correctly? Tod is a kind person who is giving away dahlias for postage?

It is possible I have sniffed too much deer repelant and have lost my senses.

I would LOVE ANY dahlias offered, senders choise, and would be happy to PP or send a check.

Please forgive me if I have missinterpreted.

Ginger

(jax) Dundalk, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Tod! Please may I be added to your list. Whatever you choose. I will be glad to pay postage/adoption fees, whatever. I can not beleive this, am just jumping up and down from excitement.

Heh, Ginger, if anyone has sniffed too much deer repellent. it is me! Really, I just bought 12 pounds of the stuff! :) I swap out most dahlias each year, I have to move the old tubers out. Plus I have an overwhelming compulsion to spread the dahlia bug, its part of the syndrome.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

How do I get the lipstick marks over your name off my monitor?

Ginger

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Beadmomamie step away from the deer repellent. Todgor is celebrating the 'Wakening of the Dahlias Festival' with the 'Gifting of the Tubers' ritual ^_^ Tod don't forget to 'Parade' with the ceremonial dahlia stake ^_^

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

I would love to get on the list for some tubers.These will be a new plant for me so any will do.

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

I would love a box of your choice.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I am now planning a therapy garden with my forthcoming box. Of course Fred The Therapy Dahlia will be presiding! He has his eye on one of the daylily spaces...Sigh...

Garden wars.

Ginger

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Tod, I was reading your threads from last year. where did you get the green bamboo looking stakes? How did they work for you?
Beautiful garden full of the Dahlias. Now I know why so many fall in love with them!

LK

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Todgor, you are a bonafide DG hero to many. I'm not even going to look at that list- no no no no no. I want to, mind you, but won't. Maybe just a quick peek LOL...
Have fun y'all.

Beadmom, lipstick marks, so funny!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I get my green bamboo looking stakes in a big bag at Walmart.....

Ginger

Coushatta, LA

I would love a flat rate box of Mixed Dahlias.If you have any left.

Thanks,Cody

This message was edited Apr 23, 2009 5:03 PM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

LOL on the dahlia rituals, dahlianut. I want to see Tod's ceremonial dahlia stake.

Ginger! Shhhhhh! If the daylily people find out you're digging up a daylily to plant a dahlia (heresy!) we'll have class warfare on our hands. Or is it species warfare? Then the next thing you know, alliances will be formed with the iris people and the lily people and it will escalate into a davewide conflict.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Tod,
Just D-mailed you my info. It's gonna be like Christmas, even my hubby's drooling.
You're an angel....thank you!
Susan

umm....don't I know a few of you? LOL Glad you sleepy heads made it. (:

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Hart,

The gingo tree is a spy.

Ginger

Linda, I get my stakes from A M Leonard, the 8' x 3/4" Takiron ones. They stay put, which is what I need, but they could use a sharper end to stick in the soil. Still, at 3 and change a piece, they are half as expensive as the other metal ones.

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm thinking maybe a new bed for dahlia's are in order... don't want to start another fued, ya know... and my DH only thought he was finished digging this year... little did he know...

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I bought my DH a new lawn tractor with a box grader so that gives me equal funding in flower money.......and he's driving around the yard a happy little camper digging up new beds :)

uh huh!

Ginger

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I always thought ginko trees were spies too beadmomamie. I have started 3 from seed in the greenhouse and positioned some border dahlias around them in case to guard against espionage. bjwilson a new dahlia bed is not only in order I think it actually may be illegal NOT to start a new dahlia bed when their is placement panic. Let the digging begin ^_^

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

I'll try to explain that to DH... he's already told me that I've exceeded my legal limit of flower beds.
I'm not having placement panic yet... there's that one place I cleaned out last fall, just can't remember now what I left in there, and so far, I see no signs of life. That may be my dahlia bed now.

That will leave his time clear to build that grape arbor I want.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

If you have any left and I mean anything left I would love a box.

Thank you for the offer.

Robin

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Tod, I'm interested in a few if there are any left. Any variety would be nice!! Thanks a bunch!

Ronnie

(Zone 7a)

If you have any left, I'd love a box, too, of your choice - will dmail you

Many thankyews

Hi Robin, Ronnie,

I think I can make it, you are #17 and #19, respectively! Will let you know.

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I would love a box if you have any left. Just let me know. I lost all my dahlias after an ice storm hit here in january. I planted the tubulars I had however they didn't survive after freezing.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Tod - I would love to get in line for a box too. I have not had much luck with dahlias in the past, but I am learning, and have about 4-5 that came back. Would love to have more.

Thsnks so much.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.