Plants and seeds to exchange

Englewood, CO(Zone 5b)

Starting a thread for plants and seeds available for exchange at our after-DBG-sale get-together May 9.

I can have the following plants:
culinary oregano
Tanacetum densum (partridge-feather)
Gazania krebsiana 'Tanager' -- Plant Select
Marrubium rotundifolium -- Plant Select
and probably a few other xeric goodies, once I look around.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

OK, I'm putting my name in right now now for gazania & marrubium! Tomorrow I'll try to post what I have to trade.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I have some morning glory and cosmos seeds, can make starts to share of oxalis, morning glories, scarlet emperor beans, sugar snap peas, fava beans (but you have to let me know ahead of time so I can get them started).

I'd love some Flander's poppy seeds, had some that were a very sentimental gift from a fellow DG'r and apparently they got lost in our move.

I'll add more as available, I don't have much yet, but I will bring what I can.

Can clematis be rooted easily? I have a few NOID that come back every year here and are just starting to grow again...

Brenda

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Brenda I don't have any Flander's poppy seed (papaver rhoeas) but I have other red poppy seeds. I will post a list of the seeds I have so everyone can pick. Do you have the native yellow cosmos Cosmos sulphureus? I would luv some of those seeds if you do.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

No, I just have mixed color cosmos from a package I received. Sorry!

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Most of these I seeded a few more than I needed so there aren't many. Others I have a ton of because I thought they would be harder than they were to germinate. All the "plants" are actually going to be rather small seedlings since I started them indoors about a month ago. I'll probably find a few more extra's after I start planting stuff and there are LOTS of extra seeds people are welcome to, I just didn't want to list them all.

Tess's Land Race Currant Tomato (Heirloom Plants)
Matt's Wild Tomato (Heirloom Plants, this one apparently reseeds? Not sure what zones this is my first year)
The link to check out the tomatoes
http://www.amishlandseeds.com/red_tomatoes.htm

Columbine red/white (plants and seeds)
Columbine pink/white this one seems to get pretty tall 2'-3'? (plants and seeds)
Butterfly Weed, Asclepias tuberosa (Plants)
Swamp Milkweed, Asclepias incarnata (Plants)
French Marigold 'Harlequin' Tagetes patula (Heirloom Seeds, these are not a "bush" like plant. I think they are more of a short vine? Last year the rabbits ate mine before they were big enough.)
More unknown French Marigold (Seeds)
Sweet Joe Pye Weed, Eupatorium purpureum (Plants and Seeds)
Primula, Primrose, Primula cortusoides (Plants)
Telham Beauty, Peach-leaved Bellflower, Campanula persicifolia (Plants)

Added 4/29
Appleblossom Grass 'Whirling Butterflies' Gaura lindheimeri (Plants)
Some type of Salvia that supposed to be 2ft by 2ft (Plants and Seeds)
Maybe some Maltese Cross, Lychnis chalcedonica (Plants and Seeds)

This message was edited Apr 22, 2009 2:25 PM

This message was edited Apr 29, 2009 9:37 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No worries Brenda ^_^ ktalia I'd like any heirloom tomato seeds and columbine seeds that you have extras of. I don't want to be piggy though (oink, oink) so spread them around if others want some to.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I don't have any extra tomato seeds. I planted them all as I assumed people would want them to be large enough by mother's day to put in the ground. I have at least a hundred of each variety of columbine and lots of the heirloom marigolds too. So no problem there. (wink)

Santa Fe, NM

I'm not a seed saver or much of a seed planter. But, it will be fun to see you all and maybe take some pictures!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

If I may, I'd love any heirloom tomato and any columbine (seed or plant). Can I propogate my vinca by then? I fso, I have that as well. Still thinking what else I can bring...

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

So far for plants I have Paprika yarrow (lots of it), chives, Dragon's Blood sedum, lambs ears, some NoID irises (blue & white I think) and maybe Russian Sage - but I WILL have more.

For seeds I have foxglove (not sure what color), Galahad delphiniums, and Purple Sensation Allium (Those might not be good though. They were harvested last summer, but I have heard you need to plant allium seeds the same year they are harvested). I might have more seeds by next month too.

Denver Metro Area, CO(Zone 5a)

If anyone has spare seeds for veggies, could I trade for them? My sister is becoming a real food grower these days and asked me to help her to get seeds.

I have a few things that need adopting, here. I bought the neatest cactus at Paulino's a yr. or two ago and divided it. Here is a pic:

Thumbnail by mtnmama
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have veggie and herb seeds mtnmama. I WILL get my list done and posted this weekend.

Santa Fe, NM

I could certainly stand to dig up some things and try to give them away! But I don't know yet how much room we'll have. I could bring violets, that spread like wild fire but are easy to pull up; spurge aka Burro's Tail also an invasive: a very green, tough tansy who is also invasive; Lamb's Ears...why? ( bees love it ); and things of that nature. Good Hell Strip plants. But you probably have them, too!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Penny bring whatever you want. If you put them in a box covered with a plastic bag they can go in the back of the truck. Don't know what I will have because I am in Arizona right now, but will be bringing 1 pkt. of saguaro seed in case someone wants it. Love your cactus plant, mtnmama. Tananger gazania sound good to me, TrishaG, if you have some to spare.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

If anyone has, or knows where they can dig up, an alfalfa plant, I would really like one of those for my butterfly garden. Also, I'd like some day lily's that are not orange if anyone has some to split. Other than that, just whatever. Well, not too many aggressive plants, I don't have a lot of space for that type of thing right now.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I can probably dig up a red --not too fancy day lily if you would like. Most of my plants are pretty invasive. Betty

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

My Helianthemums, Thymes, and Lavenders are starting to flower for reals. Other pictures came out blurry so I'll have to take them again tomorrow.

Thumbnail by dparsons01
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Very nice helianthemums, dparsons. The one that I attempted to winter over in a pot this winter, seems to have died. Now I know. Plant them! Of course, I always knew that. I just ran out of time. Can't wait to see photos of your thymes and lavenders.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Very pretty, DParsons!

Santa Fe, NM

That is a nice looking plant!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Beautious Dave-who-is-Dave!

Denver Metro Area, CO(Zone 5a)

Things I know I can bring if anyone is interested:

Heirloom purple (grape kool-aid smelling) iris
Delosperma (ice plant) yellow blooming
(Probably) Batik iris
Could likely get some pink blooming ice plant if there is interest
Variegated iris (lavender blooms grape scented)
Japanese anemone starts
Violets (either "freckles" hybrid or heirloom deep purple types available)

Broke a couple of toes last week so deep digging is not possible for me (and DH is overwhelmed with other projects). If anyone wants bleeding heart, zebra grass, joe pye weed, variegated vinca, blue star amsonia or named daylilies...you know you are welcomed to come and dig, here. I remember someone wanted red daylily--I have Ed Murray which is a VERY deep, rich red (yours for the digging).

Baby fish to a good home, too! Three small ones that have had their first winter in the outdoor pond and one or two that have had two winters, now. (Probably 1//2 koi, 1/2 shubunken)

Does anybody have rhubarb, raspberry, blueberry or baby fruit trees to share? I'd be happy to buy them (gift for my sister). Still looking for vegetable seeds for my sister, too....

Diane

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Could use most of what you name, mtnmama.-- not batik, though because I already have it.
Have raspberry bushes to share if I can get them dug and potted in time.

The only problem is that I'll be working the DBG plant sale until 4 pm on Saturday. If there's a way to exchange either before 10:30 or after 3:30, or on Friday, I'm good. Just let me know where and when.

I have a bunch of Coreopsis 'baby sun', both baby plants and seeds (my first attempt at gathering seed so who knows) and
if I don't kill them in the division process, Lady Bells / Adenophora, which likes part shade and spreads moderately.
Like many, I've always got common purple iris if anyone wants some.
I might also have some common pink primrose / Oenothera speciosa which tends to be invasive, but I may transplant all of that to either the hell strip or the slope (it seems only moderately invasive in my yard).

If they're available, I'd love some delosperma, sedum of any kind, paprika yarrow, vinca major (especially varigated, but the regular is fine too), snow on the mountain (Aegopodium), snow in summer (Cerastium), or creeping phlox (the prostrate kind only).

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Trisha - thanks for starting seed thread! I'll be in CA before DMG so will be hard to watch thread, but I'll bring these seeds to lunch: acai, spinach, sylvia, cosmos, baby's breath, snapdragon, red poppy, 3 unknown baggies of flower seeds, tomato, pepper, cucumber, oregano, squash, 3 types of beans, 3 types of carrots.

Want list: Drought resistant plants. Delosperma pink/purple was offered to me (thanks) and if mtnmama has enough yellow that'd be great, thanks.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

PS... and I have seedlings too of much of the above!

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

First off, I added a few things to my original post. Gaura, Salvia and maybe some Maltese Cross.

Secondly, if there's enough to go around because I have a lot of space to fill! I'll take whatever is left-over but here's what I could use that people have listed.

TrishaG: I would love to try one of each of your culinary oregano, Tanacetum densum (partridge-feather), Gazania krebsiana 'Tanager', and Marrubium rotundifolium. The ground covers I think would work well in the areas I got lazy and didn't remove rocks.

Lisabees: Your Paprika Yarrow looks so yummy, I would love one.

Pajaritomt: Red Daylilys would be great! Thanks.

MtnMama: Actually any color daylily other than orange would be beautiful. The orange I have are taking over my yard. And you don't have to worry about bringing them that day. If it's easier, I can just come visit some day. I'll see what I can round up as far as yummy plants go. Does it have to be seeds only? My mother might let me take some of her rhubarb and I have lots of left over herb seeds and there will be lots of currant tomato plants to go around.
I'd like to also try your Japanese Anemone and a pink ice plant if you manage to get some. And you'll have to give me some tips on the anemone as I haven't really given it a shot yet. Will it grow in clay or do I need to find it a home in one of my nicer beds?

DenverJude: I have seeds for Snow-in-summer that you're welcome to. I have a purple ground cover like phlox I can dig a few clumps out of for you and my mother said you could have all the vinca you want. It's not the variegated type, but sounds like you can use a lot of any type so I'll bring some clumps of that too for you.

All: Sounds like there are a lot of iris out there. I'll be happy with any left overs after they've been picked through. I already have a spot I've been saving for some Iris.

I almost forgot, I still need someone to pilfer someones field of Alfalfa. Hehe. : )

This message was edited Apr 29, 2009 10:30 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

This is not a good time for digging iris, however. They are just starting to bloom, so I personally will not bring any other than those which have finished blooming for the year -- which will definitely not include the usual kind, Tall Bearded. I will bring some dwarfs if they have finished by then, though. And I will mail extras when digging time comes in July or August.
As for daylilies, this isn't the right time to dig them either, because they haven't bloomed yet either, but you can have my red ones because they are too tight together to bloom right how. They didn't bloom last year either. So I will bring the red iris. They are nice, but not terribly impressive. I have them here and there all over the yard. This clump is in the regular lily bed and has to go. Mtnmama's Ed Murray's will be nicer -- but please feel free to take mine. They do make a nice fountainey landscape plant. And the flowers are okay. Here is a picture:

Also here is the plant files picture of Ed Murray which mtnmama is offering. I will want a piece of that one, too! Very nice. But Ed Murray and my unknown are not the same. You might want both.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/30303/

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, I would love to have some of your MIL's rhubarb. I bet I am not the only one. Do bring at least one start along.

Also, I thought of something someone might want that I have already potted up -- horseradish! Okay, I said that I specialize in invasives. Some of us like horseradish -- though planting it in a bucket is best -- to keep it from taking over.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I new that about the Iris, I was sort of surprised so many people were offering them, but I don't need them to bloom now if people already have them dug up. I did not know that about daylilys, I dig mine when ever they start to annoy me. They seem unkillable. I prefer daylilys over ornamental grass because they grow so well here in Denver with the bonus of flowers mid-summer. They're great filler plants for me right now with so much space to fill. Most of mine right now are mixed in with my lambs ear in rock areas I didn't clear as a front border to my Rose of Sharons.

kTalia: I would LOVE the snow in summer, ground cover phlox type stuff and the vinca. Thanks so much!

I can pot up some purple iris for you. They're getting ready to bloom, but the clump is so crowded that I don't think it will hurt them any. I also have some coreopsis (tickseed). If you'd like some young plants of this, they're very easy to grow and do well in full sun with minimal water. the foliage makes a nice green mound and then the golden yellow flowers with burgundy eyes open on wiry stems above the foliage in mid June. They bloom in flushes until fall. Seed collection and propagation is generally easy.

I would not be able to make the luncheon unless it's still going after 4 pm (I'll be working the DBG sale 11 - 3). I'll need details and the location of the luncheon at TrishaG's. Or we can trade our plants some other time. Before 11 in the DBG parking lot works for me too. my email is jude(at)owlhouse(dot)org if you'd like to contact me off list to make arrangements.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I would love some young coreopsis plants. I am not sure I will be at TrishaG's after 4:00. I am trying to set up a tour of an iris garden for that afternoon at about 4:00. Let me see how that works out. Maybe I could make it at 5:00 or the next morning. Must coordinate with iris hybridizer.
Jude, you may find that daylilies do will on your slope. They are very pretty and really cling to the soil and they do multiply. You can use very ordinary ones or all kinds of exotic ones. I will try to have some at the trade. If I leave before you, I can leave them with Trisha G.
kTalia and others, I have a sort of gold colored daylily -- don't have a clue what its name is. It is the same color as a Stella d'Oro, but it doesn't have the flower shape of Stella d'Oro and is all over larger. Not a dwarf. It is very tough and a nice color, but not exciting like Ed Murray, offered by Mtnmama.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Ok, yellow is good too. I have permission to dig some rhubarb. I did a little research on how to do it, but if you all have any tips, I'll be heading over early this next week to get that. My mother said she would love a start of the Japanese Anemone for her rhubarb if there's some to spare. I can give her mine and take a cutting down the road if there isn't enough to go around though.

I'm not opposed to stepping out of the sale for a bit to get plants to you Jude, but it sounds like parking could make that a bit of hassle. I think I'll just leave you a bunch of stuff at Trisha's too. Do you live far from the gardens Jude? Another option would be to have me stop by in the morning (very early mind you) and drop some stuff off and maybe pick stuff up to bring to Trisha's if you want? Let me know what you think.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Glad to hear about the rhubarb. I know little about it except that it takes to dividing easily, in fact needs it to continue to produce. For that reason it used to be known as the friendship plant, because you always have to be giving it away.
I don't have Japanese Anemone. I think that is Mtn. Mama. I will try to pot up some yellow daylilies. I gave away about a truckload of them last year. They do tend to multiply.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I can relate to that paj. I don't like rhubarb and had a giant one in Yellowknife NT. It seemed I was constantly leaving rhubarb gifts everywhere. 22 hours of sunlight in the summer can make for alot of rhubarb. I love the look of the plant even though I'm not fussy about it's taste but you have to keep harvesting it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I didn't eat rhubarb for years because my grandmother put some in a strawberry pie when I was a kid and I thought it polluted the pie. I was probably just being a conservative kid eater, don't know. Anyhow, I have recently bought some strawberry rhubarb pies at the farmers market and found them fabulous. Who's to say whether I will make pies or not though. I mostly don't make desserts. But, I, too find it an attractive plant.
Doesn't anybody want any horseradish? I am not sure I will bring it if nobody does. it is already in big pots.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Maybe if I knew what to do with it... What do you use it for Paj?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You grate the root and put a little vinegar on it to serve with roast beef. You can put it in a sour cream sauce to make horseradish sauce for same. And the grated root of horseradish is the basis for real basis of cocktail sauce -- as in shrimp cocktail and raw oysters. Where I grew up, if you ordered either boiled oysters or raw oysters they brought you a little tray with freshly ground horseradish in a small paper cup, ketchup, fresh lemon wedges, mustard and tabasco. People make their own coctail sauce to taste with those ingredients and it is yummy. Most of what you are served out west here is just ketchup with some lemon or something in it.
Don't know how much of that kind of stuff you serve, though, with small children. It is pretty tangy!

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

My husband loves horseradish sauce and we all like shrimp. Interesting. Do bring me a little and I'll toss it in one of my herb beds to try. I think he might like trying that out! And maybe if I impress him enough, he'll increase my gardening budget! (wink)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.