How about a Michigan Gardener's Map?

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Cassie, that would be great. I don't drive much and get lost east of Allendale. LOL!

I grow herbs, and wildflowers, plus a bog garden and a deep shade garden(which needs work). I want vegetables but so far haven't found enough sun anywhere on our place.

I'm *almost* an Advanced Master Gardener (a few more volunteer hours and another education credit seminar next week.) Next week is the Therapeutic Gardening seminar.

Kalamazoo, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello There
Is it too late to add Kalamazoo, 49002? Actually I'm in Portage, but about 130 yards from Kalamazoo. I'm a newbie on this website, but it sure seems nice to see postings from gardeners who are close by. Where do I find the map you are creating?
Mike

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

first post has it click on the blue link ;0)
Gloria

Kalamazoo, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello There
Thank you Gloria.Believe it or not, I was there once, but didn't zoom out to get the perspective. I noticed that there was a big hole around Lansing. Most of my vegetable gardening was done between Lansing and Owosso. It seems a little unusual.
Is anybody else getting an early start on their gardening this year due to the unusually warm spring we are having? I don't remember a March with only 2-3 days that didn't at least make it into the 40's. After 3 weeks of that kind of weather, I took a risk and went ahead and planted some peas. They have been coming up for a few days. I am including a picture.
Hope you all are enjoying the daffodil, violet and myrtle blosoms as much as I am. Who else but a gardener could even love the rain? Maybe a poet.
Mike

Thumbnail by Kazooguy
Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Ah, but then today arrived and it's COLD. Even though usually for us today's temps in April would seem quite warm, we've been spoiled by the recent weather. Brrr. I need a sweater!

Kalamazoo, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello There
Cold, yes; but this morning it actually snowed in parts of Kalamazoo. You could still see it on roofs at 8:20. It was 29 in Holland, I heard on the radio, at 7:30. When I got home and checked my garden at 8:45, there was actually hard ice on the garden fence. I've got saladings just poking their noses out of the ground and snap peas an inch long in the garden. Good thing they're hardy. How are the fruit trees doing closer to the lake? The crab apples in Kalamazoo just started to bloom a couple of days ago.
Mike

hudsonville, MI(Zone 5b)

Hudsonville 49426 Please add me to your map.

This is my second year at vegetable gardening. I have been growing perennials for a long time.

Kalamazoo, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello sw5582
Welcome. I'm a newbie here too. This is my second season back into vegetale gardening. I have been growing perennials as long as I've owned a yard to plant them in. Since 1976; (please don't do the math). So I hope you are in good company here. Actually I'm suprised at the staying power of some of the vegetable varieties still available. I'm planting some of the same beans, lettuce and peas I planted 30 years ago.
Mike

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Any members that live in the Southwestern corner of Michigan.
May 15, 2010.
Niles is having the annual plant sale at Riverfront park, downtown Niles, just east of the Main St bridge
8:30 am-12 noon

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

Newbie here. My first year gardening and landscaping. The map is a great idea. 49083 in Richland.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

welcom kelly glad to see you here
Gloria

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Just putting this post in as a marker to myself that I am now caught up to this point.
We have.......97!!!!....members signed in on the map! That's amazing!

Check it out - http://www.communitywalk.com/map/index/370290 zoom out so you can see the whole Lower P. We FILL it up! The UP looks full too, even though nwe have only 3 people there! LOL!

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Let's make it 100!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Melvindale, 48122

Detroit, MI(Zone 6b)

Detroit 48221

Dexter, MI

Dexter 48130

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

I love the map........
could you add me too? Please

Tawas City 48763

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Caught up to today! I need to check here more often. You all need a long distance Peggy Prod. LOL! (BZZZT! Time to add names, girl!)

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Check the page. If I've missed your name, let me know. We have 104 members now!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

elfin.......welcome......would you like to join the Tawas Bay Garden Club. We are meeting tomorrow night at the Episcopal church in town at 6:30 pm.....I also belong to the Sunrise Side Master Gardeners Group.....would love to meet you sometime......maybe Brenda and I could meet you for lunch.....have our own plant swap......You would love to see Brenda's garden, its drop dead wondful...she is such a great gardener..

deann

Kalkaska, MI

Kalkaska Mi, 49646 :)

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Royal Oak 48067 =)

Traverse City, MI(Zone 6a)

Traverse City/Grawn, MI 49685

Charlotte, MI

New to DG in Charlotte, MI 48813

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

All caught up again!

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Marine City, MI 48039-1701
I host 2 plant swaps each year. Always looking for new participants!

Thumbnail by Theresa
Whitmore Lake, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone. I joined in 2006 but that was wishful thinking - I'm finally ready to learn to garden! I'd like to be on your map too. I'm in Whitmore Lake 48189. I'd love some Michigan gardening friends to learn from!

Sarah

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Marine City, MI 48039

Grand Haven, MI

Grand Haven, 49417, 6b
Will be at the Garden Show in Grand Haven this weekend, beginner, grow flowers and veggies and lots and lots of herbs on a 60 by 120 foot lot. The prior owners were concrete happy and 3/4 of the back yard is driveway, but I pack a lot in. And you can see my garden from outer space!

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Caught up to today. Genevieve, we are neighbors!

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Genevieve, have you looked at Home Depot's herbs lately? I know they are just the generic ones but they are less than $2.00 right now. I bought bunches of chives, parsley, lavender, thyme, dill, rosemary, and even basil and tomatoes which will be in the house for awhile. Living in the woods I struggle to keep herbs alive. Not enough sun. But on my deck it's sunny so they live in little pots.

I nearly filled the back seats of the car with plants. My hands smell sooooo good!

Grand Haven, MI

Thanks! My favorite place for herbs is the Muskegon Farmers Market, where most herbs sell for 75 to 85 cents. Lots of perennials go for that as well. They sell just about everything and often things you can't find in the box stores as easy. They are younger plants, but you get more in a cell and they grow so quickly, except for rosemary, but the larger the rosemary, the harder it is to keep as a houseplant anyway. It's amazing to see these bitty two inch strands of lemongrass turn into a huge three by three foot monster by the end of the summer. This winter was so mild, my rosemary I left outside survived, even the ones in small pots that should have died. This year I am trying to grow my own basils and marjoram from seed in used milk jugs, as well as a bunch of other things, but I can't remember what. Flowers tomatoes and peppers. Zinnias have sprouted, but I don't know why I didn't wait as they might be ready before it's time to put them out, but I'm kind of betting on the container protecting them from one or two frosts, and being in the city, we are a few degrees warmer, anyway. We'll see! Such an atypical spring, whether it works or not, it will be worth trying again next year.

Sterling Heights, MI(Zone 5b)

sterling heights 48312

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Added you, Alternative. :-)

Rockford, MI

Rockford, 49341

Indian River, MI

Indian River 49749

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

Tawas City 48763

Brighton, MI(Zone 5b)

Brighton--48114