What prompts you to choose the seeds and plants that you grow?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 362 votes:

I like being the first in the neighborhood with something new.
(20 votes, 5%)
Red dot

My climate or zone is an important factor in what I choose to grow. (why?)
(107 votes, 29%)
Red dot

I love unusual plants with unique characteristics. (like what?)
(130 votes, 35%)
Red dot

I grow whatever they sell at the local garden center.
(14 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I can only grow what is on my HOA approved list.
(0 votes, 0%)
Red dot

I'm not picky. I grow whatever I can trade for here at DG!
(12 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I have another reason for choosing the plants and seeds that I do. (tell us!)
(79 votes, 21%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Kerrville, TX(Zone 8a)

I have to choose deer-resistant plants only for about 90% of my yard and garden and for drought resistance for about 50% of my yard. It's pretty limiting.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I chose other.
Q - "What prompts you to choose the seeds and plants that you grow"?

A - Because they are there.

I am a plant plopper, and if I see a plant that is interesting, and if I don't have it, I have to get it and try it. Actually, I usually get three and try them in three different locations to see how they do. If one location is better, I move them all together there. If they all die, I don't try that plant again. I push zones.

But I'm running out of room!!

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

My zone is an important factor because the summers are too hot and humid for many "temperate" climate plants to do well, but there are too many cold snaps in winter for most "tropicals" to survive.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, I have a ton of things to do today and I don't feel like doing any of them, so I decided to breakdown the "other" votes. Sometimes my curiosity gets the better of me! If someone voted "other" and then gave numerous reasons for buying plants, each reason got a vote.

The top "other" reason was planting for 'wildlife' with 19 votes. I included growing plants for butterflies, pollinators, hummingbirds, and birds in this category. I think most people who grow for butterflies are thrilled if their flowers also attract a hummer, and if a hummer likes the flowers of a fruit producer that other birds like, that's great too. I once bought a tree that I didn't need b/c the tag said that it attracted 37 kinds of birds and repelled fleas.

Now, there were two votes for 'animal resistant' plants, so maybe those should be subtracted from the wildlife category!

Second place goes to the 'xeriscaping/native' plants category with 14 votes.

'Food/Veggies' is a close third with 13 votes.

Fourth place was a tie between 'fragrance' and 'low maintenance/pest-free.' Each category had 5 votes.

I didn't mention 'sentimental' reasons in my response, but I realized that I have a lot of plants purchased for sentimental reasons. I bet a lot of us do. If I combined the kids category with the sentimental it would tie for fourth place.

Fifth place with three votes each 'growing endangered/heirloom' plants and 'flower' gardening. All the other categories had two votes. Yes, I know, I need to get to work now!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for doing the stats Elpha. I was surprised there was no option for attracting wildlife/birds/insects in the poll as so many garden for this reason, but then Dave and Admin often leave intentional blanks in the polls to foster the discussion. Dave and Admin are smarties ^_^

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Heh, heh...see what we prompted you do???

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I figured as much, but I still had to do the count! There was some other count a while ago where very few people voted for growing veggies. It was good to see the veggie people out in force on this count. I'm growing tomatoes for the first time and I already have little tomatoes. It may become a new obsession!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

"Resistance is futile...you have been assimilated..." (the 'tomato Borg')

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Tee hee melody ^_^

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL!!! I'm a trekky too! Forget about Big Brother; DG is watching you!

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

we are Hugh?

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

tribble?

Thumbnail by holeth

I like unusual varietys that other neighbors and community doesn't have.

Tilaran, Costa Rica

I choose my plants specifically for the animals in the jungle to use as food, nesting, shelter and pollination.
I'm insane about orchids and heliconias and the bonus is hummingbirds and butterflies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.