Weird Weather of '09 #10

Eugene, OR

And the last. What was Mama thinking? I told DD Sophie looked embarrassed to be seen like that. It was for a Halloween BBQ.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Sally. Sophie is adorable!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Sophie is so cute!

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Sally, What a doll Sophie is! I LOVE the ladybug pic...especially the expression! Priceless....

(Trisha) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Sophie is beautiful! Love the Lady Bug!!

Eugene, OR

Thanks everyone, her mama will be proud. She's a little handful, just found out she chewed on my DH's favorite hat this morning....I'll have to see if I can salvage it. LOL

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

LOL poor hat. We used to raise cocker pups when I was little. We had a male that was red like an Irish setter. His name was Fibber McKee and Molly was a little golden.

We are having rain now. It was really pouring awhile ago.

Eugene, OR

I forget what breed she is. Poodle mixed with ?, but I don't think it's cocker.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Is there a little Miniature Schnauzer in there? OMG, she's a little fluff ball. I need one o' those. The expression on her face in the ladybug suit is priceless!! Still laughing . . .

Thanks for sharing these!!

Eugene, OR

DH is home, he says hi, he thinks there's a little cocker. I'll have to ask DD tomorrow. Glad you enjoyed them. She is such good company for DD. She lost a little Lhasa Apso (12 yr.) a couple of months before she got this one. Different as night and day and perfect!!! She's a little s##@, which is just what she needs right now. LOL

(Judi)Portland, OR

Such a cute little pup! Aren't dogs the best? I love my Koka so much. The lady bug costume is a riot!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Sally, Sophie's adorable. She looks like a purebred Cocker to me.

Susan105

(Judi)Portland, OR

Rainy today, after a night of lots rain. I made my latte and took it back to bed and watched the news. It feels like a lazy day! We are supposed to get more rain in the afternoon and I hope my lavender and sweetpea seedlings will survive! Hope all of you enjoy your day.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes, I agree - those little troublemakers keep us moving and it's impossible to be unhappy when you're moving (stolen from a quote by Mother Theresa that Laurie shared on her thread).

Rainy here, too - all night and all day. This evening will definitely be slug-picking fest for me. I put them in my new compost so they can start the process of breaking it down. Makes us all happy.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Re: slugs in compost... All that popped into my head was --if life hands you lemons make lemonade. or compost ^_^

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I like it!! I do believe, thought that recycling is their job - they just start with the live stuff first if you let them get away with it.

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

I missed this thread, I have others that keep me busy, but I have a soft spot for this one.

So, I’m going to try to quit smoking today, so I don’t know how much I’ll be on for awhile.

Sally, I have trouble writing in books too. Even when I was in college, where it’s basically expected, I used sticky notes to “write” in the books. My MIL is the exact opposite in that regards, she writes in all her books, so she can see what she was thinking last time she read the book. I don’t mind notes on the edge of the page that much, but underlined sentences drive me nuts.

I wish I could do that with my music. I’m not fond of super loud music, but being able to turn it up load enough to hear clearly outside would be cool. Sound like we have similar music tastes too.

Hope things are going better than on the 16th.

Katye, I love your point of view on the weather. We probably are more conscious of the weather than many other places in the country because are weather changes often.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Positve thoughts coming your way allll the way from south Jersey, Laura.

Eugene, OR

LOL....slugs making compost!

Talked to DD today, Sophie is a cockapoo, she weighs 12 lbs and is 19 months old. She thought it was fantastic that I put her picture on the forum and said wait til next Halloween, she's going to be a bumble bee. The hat is repairable, she just chewed the inside band.

Rained here today too. Nice light rain, had to use my umbrella at the nursery though, kept getting my glasses wet! Didn't find what I wanted, so darn (teehee) I'll have to try another tomorrow.

Thanks Jan, I think I'm in the right head space this time. I need to remind myself we don't have the money for them and that my asthma is getting worse, and maybe other health issues. Then I need to stop thinking about it. I have to admit that I enjoy smoking and wish they were good for you, but they're not and I do want to quit.

Eugene, OR

Laura..we cross posted.............all the best wishes on quitting smoking. I did that 17 yrs ago. It wasn't easy for me. But I had made up my mind I was going to do it and just refused to let it get me.

And isn't that what sticky notes are for? LOL

My flowers grow better with Brian Culbertson!! When my Dad was still alive, he and Mom would sit out on their deck next door and tell me to "Turn it up".

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

So Laura - don't avoid the thread while you're quitting. Stay on it. You can just post whatever you're thinking; e.g., "I hate this!" And we'll post our "hang in there's" to you.

Just remember that (as hard as it is now) it will never be easier to quit than it is right now. The longer you wait, the harder it will be. And you will have to quit at some point.

Good luck!!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Laura, It's great that you continue to try to stop smoking. I smoked for twenty-five years and quiet for good when I was 42 years old. It helps to breath as deeply as you can and not have to do anything important for a couple weeks. It is super when you make it over the hump so hang in there. I will be sending the best of thoughts your way.

Eugene, OR

Kathy's right about keeping in touch. I had lots of support since I quit with a class and the encouragement helps!

Sally, mythbusters actually proved that plants grow better with music, though heavy metal worked way better than classical. They didn't try folk or jazz though, so who knows.

Katie, I will try to get on, and whenever I need a "hang in there" I do know I can come on here and get that support.

Willow, mom stopped in her 40's too. I don't have anything I "have" to do besides keeping an eye on Sage, and she's getting to the point she can more or less take care of herself, even if she doesn't like it. I've already told mom, DH and Sage to assume I am going to be useless for at least a week. I plan to play a lot of video games and watch tv shows this week. I would love to read, but I've done most of my reading recently while I was smoking, so I think I should avoid that for awhile.

Eugene, OR

Carry around a water bottle^_^ Gives your mouth something to do and it's good for you.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Laura, I would think digging in your garden would be helpful! You are doing the right thing for your health and for your family. They want you around as long as possible. Just picture your lungs becoming nice and clear and your body taking in oxygen. Do you do yoga? That is supposed to help. We are all here for you!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I definitely recommend activities that require you to use your hands. And to avoid things that you associate with smoking. My SIL had to stay off the phone with friends when she quite and for awhile afterward as that was her trigger.

This message was edited May 19, 2009 8:11 PM

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Laura - life is a series of choices, some of which are hard to say "yes" to. You have decided to choose life/health.
Every step you take in that direction will help you build the resolve you need to reach your goal, which may currently seem overwhelming. Inner strength and determination will build over time.
This choice allows you greater control over your body - the "vehicle" with which you move through life; believe me - you'll want it to be strong as you age!

No preaching here, and no one will judge you either.
Dittos on staying in touch as we are here for each other, even though there is distance between us. That distance cannot dampen the concern we have for each other. As you have read, others have walked the same path you are on. The empathy is real - I'm sure we've all had to make decisions to stop something that was not in our own best interest.
Please remember that if you fall back, we'll encourage you to get up, & continue to choose health/life in pursuit of your goal. One more thing: Failure is not equivalent to making a mistake - failure is when one refuses to learn from the mistake.
sincerely,
K

North Lakewood, WA(Zone 8b)

Altoids! They really help. Eat a box a day if you have too.
I quit 20 or so years ago. Still want to smoke now and then.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Hope Jamesk is okay. There was a big watermain burst in his neighborhood and lots of people had to evacuate.

We had quite a storm here tonight - lots of thunder and lightning. I guess the rod on the Space Needle got hit several times. I hope the photographers were out!!

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/45457632.html

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Laura, HURRAY FOR YOU!!!!^_^ I quit 11½ yrs ago using the Nicoderm Patch and swear by it. I started out with the 14mg for a week and then down to the 7mg for a week and never went back to smoking. I've never felt better!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!^_^^_^^_^

Fantastic shots of the lightning!!! Hope everyone is ok.

Susan105

This message was edited May 20, 2009 7:48 AM

Eugene, OR

Wow, that was some storm. And that's quite a lightening rod they have. Hope all the power is back on.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I heard there was still some off this morning in some downtown neighborhoods. But for me it was all okay. It's sunny and warm outside now and is supposed to be nice (not hot, either) through the end of the weekend.

I'm thinking Copper River Salmon Barbeque this weekend . . .

DH had more smokes than I thought so I had a couple more than I thought I would, but there are no cigarettes in the house now.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Day ONE! ^_^

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Here we go. This will be good and you'll be so proud of yourself with each landmark. Good for you!!

(Trisha) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Yes Laura, I managed to do it and you will too....it should be easier for you because neither of you come close to smoking the amount I did and you are stopping a lot sooner than I did...stick with it is definitely worth it.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Laura, be sure to let us know every day how you are doing. Tell us your frustrations! Tell us your struggles! We are here for you!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I second that!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.