General Discussions 2009 - Chapter 27

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

LoneJack, You are really going Hi-tech here! I went after this Strawbale gardening so I wouldnt have to worry about all that kind of thing. As you see in my threads, My drip hose isnt very High-Tech, nor attractive but its simple and it works.
I envy those of you with all this knowledge to add timers and Sprinkler systems and such, but it would give my poor ole brain a headache. I just go out turn on the water and leave it for a little while then walk back out later on and turn it off again, ... now hows that for a system!!! LOL!

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Eufaula,
I started that way but I am a part time missionary to Haiti. When I went on a mission trip several years ago, my watering instructions didn't get carried out; (Just go out and turn on the water,) so I started improving on the system so I would have a garden when I returned. Needless to say, my bride, is not an outdoor yard person.
I also found that I conserve water because I water from 12:00 midnight to 1:00 am.
I started injecting fertilizer because I found these injectors that would work with a drip system.
Paul.

Dahlonega, GA

I used to have plans for a drip system from buckets that were used in Africa , somewhere . Any one remember seeing them on the web ? digger

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

More notes on the drip system:
I use the soaker hose/Dripper combination for only about 36" of soaker hose or less at a time.
On my bales I use the flow control disks and soaker hose only. Soaker hose for
the length of each bale, off of a 1/4" feed line or manifold.
I can run a 1/4" manifold line for about 50 feet if I am using end drippers and soaker hose.
I have run 25 feet using 1/4" line and soaker hose only.
Paul.

ok Eufala good to know'
i kinda had to do a half and half straw bale garden. I put a layer of straw and then spuds , them layer of straw. and some compost
they are really booming ! ( knock on wood ) LOL
i sure wish i had that set up lonejack :) i m watering with rain barrels and buckets LOL i have a rain barrel in my kabota and drive back and forth to my house to fill it . :) sheesh what a leg work out it is up , down ,up , down , up , down LOL well i guess i need the excersice LOL

Wake Forest, NC

All: a link to a thread in the Tomato section you might like:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/995048/

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Kent you got my mouth a WATERING...LOL.
Can't wait for fresh tomato BLT's

Tubby

Wake Forest, NC

Counting down the days, Tubby! :-)

Wake Forest, NC

Thank you, Lord, for yellow squash fried in EVOO and House of Autry chicken breader!!!

Mmmmmm! Mmmmmmm!

1st one of the season.

My DD and I ate 2 pan fulls right at the stove.

The missus picked about 2 dozen cukes and took some to my dear Mama next door.

Still can't wait for the first tomatoes, but I have a few weeks to go, yet

This message was edited Jun 1, 2009 9:33 PM

Thumbnail by KentNC
Dahlonega, GA

You guys are killing me . my toms are only the size of itty bitty marbles . ugh ! digger

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

Fried squash...um, makes me hungry.

I'm still waiting on cukes and squash as I got a very late start on them.

My garden was managing my time this year. Next year I hope to be managing my time gardening.

Jerry

Wake Forest, NC

Jerry: Hey, gardens are God's therapy sessions. I can be tying up tomatoes, sitting on a stool, and just let my mind wander and solve all sorts of problems! :-)

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

That squash looks delicious!

My tomatoes are well and truly over now. I have winter lettuce, collard and spinach in, everything else is heavily mulched with my $11 bale of straw.

I found a guy just out of town selling straw at just $7 a bale! I will go get one later this week to finish mulching with, and ask about getting about 20 of them in spring. Dont have anywhere to put them till then, so I have to wait.

Exams start on monday, somehow the semester has gone so faast again. I should be working alot more than I am.

Will be wathcing everyone elses gardens grow, while the cold winter rain turns mine to sludge.

Lena

Wake Forest, NC

Lena: I hated squash as a kid! What was I thinking? :-)

Good luck on exams. I know you'll do well.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

oooh I havent tried frying yet! I had grilled yellow squash and zuchini yesterday, yummmm!
Im getting ready to replant more squash for the mid summer garden, just cant do without 'em. Eufaula(lynn)

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Kent; At the risk of sounding not too bright, What is EVOO???
I haven't seen any squash pop up a first leaf yet.
Corn is going good, beans are up, Toms are taking hold, beets are up. sweet taders are in, and have been attacked by a monster, with two long ears. lol So I sprayed the rest, with deer & rabbit repellent.
It has been dry here, so have been watering.
Planning to get some bales soon for next year. I found some brome-grass bales, for $4.00. Hope they will do the job and not start a new crop of brome all over the yard. lol
Russ

Dahlonega, GA

I don't sound too bright sometimes either , but sure wasn't going to ask. lol , digger

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Y'all are making me very hungry!!

I believe EVOO means Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I know it's supposed to be good for us, and I like it pretty well, but sometimes I miss my butter!

Wake Forest, NC

Russ & digger: Bev beat me to it. She's right.

I've been watching too much Rachael Ray on the Food Channel and that's what she calls it! :-)

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

All EVOOs are not the same. I had one last year that was packaged in a wax coated paper/cardboard bottle with a screw cap. It had a great almost mint taste to it. My most recent purchase was "Great Value" from Walmart. The flavor is different from the brand I had last year, i.e., no mint taste.

Which brand do you like?

Jerry

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Now thats a good Question! I have not had good luck with EVOO either. I had mentioned it to my daughter and she in turn( being stationed in Italy at the time) sent me the most wonderful Green bottle of EVOO straight from Italy, Now almost gone.
I was wondering what brand to get locally.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Kent do the fried squash taste anything like the fried green tomatoes? Those are great. Taste almost like oysters. Good imagination I guess. LOL

Jeanette

Wake Forest, NC

Jerry: I'll have to check the brand. Not at home now. BRB later.

Jeanette: I've tried fried green tomatoes a few times, but rather have them ripe. I like fried squash MUCH BETTER! To me they have distinct flavors.

Dahlonega, GA

I slice my squash long ways ,dip in buttermilk , then corn meal Mix . deep fry in hot peanut oil . Worse than french fries. Does anybody in the northeast still get that hot , spicy catsup ? Brooks was the brand . It had all this sissy catsup beat . digger

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

OK; I showed my ignorance, But I do use EVOO. Sometimes they have some that is lighter in color and some that is darker, at Sam's Club.
Don't remember the brand right now. The last time we bought we were a little short on cash. We bought Canola oil.
It will be a while before we have fresh summer squash here, so I have time to get prepared. I'm not buying at supermarket prices. You'd think they were sprayed with gold dust.
All I have right now is asparagus, so I am enjoying that. I do have three Butternut squash left over from last year. Not quite the same still good though.
But tonight I'm fixen chicken legs and taders with gravy.
Spent all morning going to Omaha, to consult with eye Dr. to see about getting rid of the double vision problem. So wanted to fix something easy.
Russ

Wake Forest, NC

Jerry: I checked our EVOO and it is Tradewinds brand my bride got Sam's or BJ's. We're not partial to any particular brand and have been happy with this particular brand.

I especially love EVOO with some balsamic vinegar splashed in and then dipping it with some good bread. Mmmmm Mmmmm.

Russ: hope that dbl vision clears up.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Yeah Kent, it's a bummer. If I want to read I have to wear a patch over one eye.
That beats the other option of what could have been. But my eyes were OK after the first week out of the hospital but they wanted an ear nose and throat surgeon to take care of the fractured " lower eye socket bone.
If had just not listened and said I see fine, I really think that fracture would have healed just fine.
But that took place 19 or 20 days later. There is some swelling that may go down but they are saying, the main problem is scar tissue. The Dr. I saw today said to give it another 2 months. Then if surgery is required, they will work on the opposite eye muscle to attempt to get both eyes to line up.
I need to give that a little more thought. I was hoping they might be able to relieve some of the scar tissue an leave my good eye alone.
Russ

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Russ my DD sent me this yesterday...Haven't tried it yet..Sounds good..We will try it..

Here is the recipe:

Asparagus with Lemon Vinaigrette and Toasted Pine Nuts

Ingredients
1 lb. fresh asparagus spears
3 Tbs. pine nuts
1/4 C. olive oil
1 Tbs. lemon juice, fresh
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. basil, dried whole
1/2 tsp. oregano, dried whole
Pepper, freshly ground is best

Directions
Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Remove scales from stalks with knife or vegetable peeler, if desired. Place spears in a steaming rack over boiling water. Cover and steam 4-5 minutes or until spears are crisp-tender. Transfer to a serving platter. Sautee pine nuts in a small skillet over medium heat 2-3 minutes, until browned. Set aside. Combine olive oil and remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan; stir with a wire whisk to blend. Cook over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly. Pour over asparagus. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Let stand to room temperature before serving.

Northeast, OH(Zone 5b)

Russ- We brush asparagus with EVOO, a little salt and pepper.........then throw it on the grill! You can also put it under the broiler! YUM!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Lulie, I do the same only stick it in a 450 degree oven right on the rack. A small convection oven. Also sprinkle parmasan cheese on it. Or, just roll it in Italian dressing and into the oven with the Parmasan. Love it roasted. I never steam it any more.

Jeanette

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Hey guy's they all sound good. I just wrapped some in aluminum foil, with a little pepper and butter an tossed it in the oven for about 15 min.
I'm not exact on the time but that's close. I will have to try it with tubbytee's recipe. Although I'm not one to spend much time fixing a meal. I will have to give it a shot. lol
I don't have the whole dried oregano, have everything else though.
Next year, or more likely the following year We should have more than enough asparagus as last year I planted 14 more plants. They are getting to look pretty good too. That means I'll have to freeze some, " Right"??
Russ

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well Russ, I don't know how many plants you have but it would take an awful lot of plants for me to have enough to freeze. Asparagus is my favorite veggie. But, don't wrap it in foil. Put it directly in the oven. Either on an open pan or on a rack. I like the rack best. Maybe a cake cooling rack on a pan would make for easier cleanup. Just roast it. A little oil, salt and Parmasan. 450 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes depending on how thick it is.

Jeanette

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

I guess I will try that too. I wrapped it to mimic steaming. And had the butter and pepper right there. lol

Dahlonega, GA

Better mark this page so I can try it again . The first time , it wasn't seasoned right and stringy . That was my first try with fresh and the restaurant evidently didn't know how to cook it. digger

Northeast, OH(Zone 5b)

Digger- I think that you can "string them" like celery so that they aren't so tough.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Are you breaking off the bottoms where they tough part is? You know how to snap them? If you do that you should not have stringy, tough.

Jeanette

Dahlonega, GA

I didn't cook them , the restaurant did . sorry , I didn't make much sense ,did I? No, I've been seeing them in the store and will get some and try them the way you guys cook them. I used to have Momma buy me cans of them and ate them right out of the can , with salt. Sure to be all the difference in the world in fresh and canned . digger

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sally girl, I can't believe you don't eat fresh asparagus!! No, not canned. Try it roasted.

Jeanette

Dahlonega, GA

I tried growing some one time , didn't work . Haven't tried fresh but once, like I said , lousy. I'll blame it on the cook .Next trip to town , I'll get some if it's in the stores , all your recipes sound tasty . I love veggies , and am going to try all the suggestions . digger

Wake Forest, NC

It's been awhile, so I thought I'd post a few pics.

Cucumbers are coming off.

Thumbnail by KentNC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.