General Discussions 2009 - Chapter 27

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Hey digger I like your idea. Using milk crates, I have some plastic cubes that could hold some thing on the patio.
Just stole your Idea. Hee Hee Hee.
Maybe if I say thanks it won't be the same as stealing, would it???

Dahlonega, GA

Maybe you don't miss it Russ , and Don't think anyone in their right mind would , but at the risk of sounding like I'm on a religious kick , thank God for our MEN . digger

Dahlonega, GA

You sweetheart , that isn't stealing , I got that idea from dh and that's community property.I hope it works for you . You might want to line the crate with old straw to keep the soil from washing out . cardboard , cut to fit around the inside would work digger

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Digger; I too am thankful we have troops out there serving this great country. But on the other hand. I would have had to change my job description. ( MOS ) to even consider staying in any longer than I did.
I'm not saying I hated it. just didn't kike the way things went down.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Sounds great Sally; I can even set them up on a ledge and Barb can claim them as her garden. LOL

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

Thanks for posting the link to your story Kent. I have already started looking for next seasons bales ($9-11 each is the best I have found), hopefully I will have a bale garden again too. Before then, theres not much for the local paper to write about. People generally like to see things to believe it. Seeing your fantastic bale garden does definately make it believable! Good work!

Sally, I like your idea of recycling the arbour frame. Just imagine walking down a whole row of them, bales lined up on either side, tomatoes hanging down into the tunnel below, waiting to be picked...

I have seen old washing lines, bed bases, and playground equiptment used in gardens, some looked untidier than others.

Lena

Dahlonega, GA

Lena , i'm going to try to get cattle panels for next year , then it will be a walk through with toms hanging down . The hay will start being cut here soon and I'll try to get next years supply in storage . Should be cheaper in a few weeks . digger

sally

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sally, you will love cattle panels. You can do so much with them. I am thinking about putting one on the house for a support for a climbing hydrangea. Just in the thinking stage right now.

Jeanette

Dahlonega, GA

Jnette , I wanted to get them for this year after hearing how much you liked them , but other things kept getting in the way .
Can you believe it , in town it's 46 degrees but here , higher in the mountains , it's 40 degrees this morn . In the middle of May . What happened to global warming ? I haven't seen any of it ! digger

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Hi digger; I think Jeanette has been waiting a long time for Global warming, LOL Even for 2 or 3 more days of summer.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

G-g-g-g-g-ooood Mo-o-o-rning Everybody! The temps dropped here to a very chilly 45 this morning! This is the second day of Chill temps. Feels nice for sleeping though!
Digger, I just love the milk crate idea. I had to have my Mower repaired, so while waiting for it to get back , needless to say the grass didnt. So.. I now have my own hay field out back behind the chicken house and garden area. May be I can go out and hack down my own shocks of grass and make my own mini hay bales in the crates!!! Wouldnt take them long to dry out , and then get right down to composting .
Hmmm , lets see.... Ive got 6 crates in the Chicken house and 2 in the shed and........

Dahlonega, GA

Hey Oofie , what time do you have to go to work ? Better go make some money for hotdogs to feed me and dh , cause you're gonna have company soon after I get back .I have 3 watermelons to plant ,but don't know yet where . digger

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Whooo Hoooooo..........Come ON! Dogs are ready to grill! When are ya gettin back? Just let me know so's I can sweep out a clean spot!!!!!LOL!!

Dahlonega, GA

Why aren't you at work ? I can't post a picture . Gonna try it here . This is a garden visitor,ferrel tom cat , father to my two rescue ferrel cats. digger

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

Wonder why I couldn't post on another forum ? digger

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Ha Ha.. I am at work! I check d-mail here too!

Dahlonega, GA

Good girl , make money . sis

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Moved to new thread Kent started

This message was edited May 20, 2009 6:55 AM

Wake Forest, NC

Just a quick note to draw attention to a new thread I started for Vets and Friends:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/991232/

Dahlonega, GA

I followed the threads . thank you , digger

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

I goofed Day 4 5 6 I put 1 cup of A N on bales..Realized that was double the amount needed..Day 7 8 watered in AN that was still lay on top of bales.".Not very much" Day 9 added 1/4 cup A N..Day 10 stuck thermometer in a bale..Came out cool..Could they be cooled down...Our is it that they haven't started cooking..?????

Tubby

Wake Forest, NC

Tubby: what have the temps INSIDE the bale felt like during the process? You may be done.

What's the outside day and night temps been like in NE.

(You may have mentioned this before but I'm on short lunch break and don't have time to re-read.)

Don't worryabout the amount of A-N. You haven't goofed.

It's not an exact science. I've never learned how the "recipe" came into being.

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Kent I never check temps befor..Its been in 70s & 80s..Very windy for three day previous to today..Night time temps in 40s once..Rest in 50s..No rain to speck of 1/4"

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi all,
I have been here lurking and reading. Like Randbponder, I am getting along slow. This healing process at my age is sure slow. One day forward and the next day rest.
I bought 4 bales but I haven't gotten them planted. I should have set plants in them by the 1st of May, but I am moving too slow.
I have two bales over at my daughters home so I will at least get them planted and a drip system installed. I learned that if I don't drip they die.
Well there is always next year..
I did get a kitchen worm bin made. I have pictures and will forward them with instructions. The worms seem to love it.
Brother, Paul.

Thumbnail by lonejack
Dahlonega, GA

Hey , love the picture lonejack . she weighs the same way I do . digger

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Don't know what your age is lj, but I'll have a race with you. Bet I am slower healing than you and Russ. LOL Some race huh? Also a race as to who puts their plants in the bales last. Come to think of it tho, you have a longer season than I do so I had better get busy.

Glad to hear you are healing even if it is slow progress. Don't get discouraged. It is really easy to say huh?

Keep it up, it will happen. Jeanette

Wake Forest, NC

Paul: glad to have you back with us.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi Guys! Well I got home yesterday and found a Beee-utiful Zuchini that was about 8 inches long and thought how wonderful. Started to go and get my camera and Stopped!! .. I grabbed that sucker ran to the house and grabbed an onion and my Iron skillet a little butter and .... ..welllllllll , you know the rest of the story!! ; )

so far my spuds are going ok ?
i see growth but not at the rate i thought i would. Some have sprouted and some not :( but i guess there is still time
good to see you all
Eufaula that sure sounds like a tasty treat you had . :)

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

Eufala I am jealous, I have 15 or 20 zukes but none are over 3 inches, what pray tell are you feeding them?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

She's not feeding them!! She is eating them!! Jeanette

Dahlonega, GA

Hi , Oofie , and all ,want to say have a safe Memorial day . Thanks to modern days and puter ,I can keep in touch . digger

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Good Morning Guys! Well it rained all day here yesterday so I wouldnt take my camera out to the garden. Soooooo this morning I got my cloggs on and went to see what we would see!!
Here is my little miracle garden, it amazes me everytime I go out there , I cannot believe how well it is doing!
To answer all the questions here I am going to start a new thread today. It will be about getting ready to harvest my little garden.

This message was edited May 24, 2009 9:59 AM

Thumbnail by Eufaula

great looking garden Eufaula
wow and big plants too.
well my spuds are looking better. No rain in site yet :( so watering by hand uhg.
Good thing i got rain barrels
when i see green sprouts do i add more straw ? and keep layering ?
have a geat holiday

Dahlonega, GA

Back home all ,and I promise , I'll never fly American Airlines and route through Dallas Tex . again . Not one flight was on time and One tight connection was missed . Spent an hour and half in terminal , and over two hours in plane , on ground . Nothing to drink until in flight . Plus A.A. is scattered all over the airport and that much walking is for the birds .
Next time, I'll take Southwest and go right to Austin .Just F Y I . Might save you some trouble in the future. digger

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi Taynors! All I did with my potato starts was put them in the bales with a little compost and cover them up , they did the rest. I never added anything!
Hey Digger. Soooo glad your back! We miss your input when you arent here! I know you get up before Daybreak , grab that coffee cup , then pull out your computer chair and visit DG. So get caught up girl, so we can get your thoughts about everything going on here!

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi All,
I have had a few questions on my drip system. Here is a post I made to various D mail questions.

I have found that the dripper components from different manufacturers aren't necessarily interchangeable when I try to set up a 1/2" or larger system.
This is why I have finally concentrated on a 1/4" drip system because the components look to interchange between manufacturers.
I will not spend a lot of time describing the minut mechanics of setting up a system.
You can get all of that information from the sites I will forward.
I am going to include the specific way I set up my end dripper to soaker hose.
I also have pictures of how I set up my timer and fertilizer injector. I will highlight where I bought these components. I will say that I need to invest in new timers. The valves are beginning to leak on my Gilmore timers. I have looked online and don't find Gilmore listed yet. Will need to dig some more.
Here are websites:
http://www.mrdrip.com/drippers.htm
http://www.dripworksusa.com/
http://www.raindrip.com/
http://www.mrsoakerhose.com/
Here is another interesting forum site where I have a lot of fun. This was started by a family in Pasidena, Calif. who grow thousands of pounds of food on their city lot around their house.
They have written a book also.
http://www.pathtofreedom.com/
http://freedomgardens.org/home.php
Now to the pictures.

This message was edited May 27, 2009 8:59 AM

Thumbnail by lonejack
Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Another Picture:

Thumbnail by lonejack
Dahlonega, GA

Oofie thanks , but you make me sound so smart . You're the one this year that is shinning , with that jungle your growing. Congrads , but it'll be me ,next year ,to beat you . hugs, digger

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Another picture showing my fertilizer injector:
You can buy it here:
http://www.dripworksusa.com/

Thumbnail by lonejack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.