Clematis blooms, Everyday

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

My first Clematis to bloom this Spring was Nelly Moser couple weeks past. Next, Dr. Ruppel, then Fireworks. Share yours that starts your spring blooming season.

This is Fireworks that opened yesterday:

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nelly Moser is really prolific this season. The blooms can be seen from the base of the tuteur up to the top, then spilled over to the gardenia that stands nearby:

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Delaware, OH

love fireworks. looks like a full sun location? nice color contrast.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, CG, Fireworks is climbing up my miniature rose 'Balerina'. They the rose and the clem. compliment each other quite nice. The rose is in buds at present.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Then today I found the very first bloom but not fully open yet, F. H. Young:

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The above Blue bloom of F.H. Young is twinning on my red Knock Out Rose. Sharing its spot is Comtese de Bouchard that's on its way.

Here twinning up my climbing Peace rose and 'Cecil Brunner' roses I've 'Multiblue' that's just about to open:

(This is all for now, tomorrow I'll post pix of MB as it unfurls).

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Lily..how pretty and exciting..I love this time of the year..yours are gorgeous...Jeanne

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Jeanne, Clematis can't be beat as far as beauty this time of year in our climate. Though, I've noticed yours begun a wee bit earlier than mine. And your collection is ... wow! I've learnt so much over the years by watching yours.

CG; most of my Clematis are scattered about in my garden. Some are in bright partial shade, other are in more pronounce shade, under canopy of deciduous trees. Nelly Moser and many other in these group - planting here are trained on a set of 3 tuteurs under a large pin-oak. It gets morning sun, but as the Oakleafs are filling out, this will be a dappled shade by high noon.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The ... Canope of Pin Oak above:

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Beautiful Clematis, Lily!

Delaware, OH

love those trees. nice dappled sunlight. and the bird is pretty too.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Shirley and CG, the 'Multiblue' flower takes its sweet time to open up...
There are half dozen of buds on this one:

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Delaware, OH

nice big fat buds and all is right with the world.

(Zone 4a)

Thanks so much for sharing your photo's - they are just lovely!! Here is my Nelly Moser from last year....

Thumbnail by DawnLL
(Zone 4a)

Here is my nelly moser with what is suppose to be multi blue but looks more like The President to me....I have never seen this one with double blooms and may never see it with double blooms since I mostly have to hard prune it in the spring...it still blooms nicely for me though.....

This message was edited Apr 9, 2009 9:15 PM

Thumbnail by DawnLL
(Zone 4a)

Oh and Guru do you see where that small trellis is on the right? That is where my Pink Champagne was planted the year before but died back and never saw her again....

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Dawn, I like the way you designed that small bed. It's rich in composition. I just love that.

(Zone 4a)

Thanks Lily....It does look much different now I am sure...I did a lot of switching around in the fall...the clematis are still in the same place though...

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Dawn: Your Clematis bed is gorgeous! It must bring you a lot of pleasure and joy!

Athens, PA

Dawn -

very pretty! I love your flower beds with the clems growing on the fence behind.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

My 'Multiblue' just enjoys teasing its owner, lol. It still hasn't fully open yet today:

Thumbnail by Lily_love
(Zone 4a)

I just love the moonbeam coreopsis in front of the clematis...it seems to do well for me.....

Athens, PA

Dawn -

It's beautiful! The blue to the left of the coreopsis looks to be campanula, what is the red/pink to the left of the campanula? It appears to be miniature rose - is that correct? I love your colors.

(Zone 4a)

Yes Carolyn you identified them all correctly! You are good!

Delaware, OH

I heard there was going to be a coreposis in a completely different color group this year released...has anyone heard of that?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

New coreopsis cultivars, the more the lovelier. :-) Here is F.H. Young with my Knock Out roses bud.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Could this be 'Niobe'? This is going to be its 3rd year here on a large container, a half whiskey barrel. I've another 'Niobe' in the shadier spot, and it just now exceeds a foot tall, this one is about to erupt in bloom stands out in the open.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2009 12:20 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This is 'Vile de Lyon' I believe is about to open, the vine is more established, and is putting abundant buds this season.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Lily..is the one you think is Niobe as purple in real life as it appears on my monitor?..If so it looks more like "Polish Spirit" with those deep reddish purple anthers..to me..post again when it is more open..Jeanne
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=579
Ville de Lyon is gorgeous another of my favs...

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jeanne, thank you for your thought. The deep purple clematis' anthers are a clear green, light anthers, and not crimson red as the link reports. I'll take another pix tomorrow when it opens a little more?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ok hon

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jeanne, you're absolutely right. The above Clem. does indeed have crimson red anthers in close up. It's my error, that one is planted among Jackmanii, and in years past I wasn't able to I.D. it. Many thanks.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This is the one that I've in a half wiskey barrel (with Belle of Woking) I think. Is it 'Niobe'? She has green anthers.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
(Zone 4a)

Lily you have such a great variety of clematis......Beautiful. I see you have Ville de Lyon. I put that one in last spring and I can't believe how fast and how much it grew for the first year being planted in my garden.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your photo's!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Dawn, I love that red clem. In that small area, I've some of the colors combined; red, purple, white, white with red stripes. Usually in May, next month all the blooms will intermingle with one another. I can't wait until then.

Okay, here it's Polish Spirit as Jeanne has spotted it. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
(Zone 4a)

Beauty! I have that one too......love her! So many blooms on that one!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Well good hon.."Polish Spirit" is such a dark clematis and the anthers are a dead give away..Yes I think your other one is most probably "Niobe"..what beautiful clematis you have..The one that I said was "Polish Spirit"..have you notice how vigorous it 'tis about shooting up new vines from the soil?..Mine does so..it's truly unlike any I've had before...Jeanne

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jeanne, not knowing its true identity in years past. For many years when I saw those many new shoots coming backup, I thought those belonged to Jackmanii. lol. They're most prolific! Between Jackmanii and Polish Spirit, they dominate my 6' tall trelis to the point that I've to take the trelis apart because they grew so fast and obstruct our walkway to the front yard.

I only allow those to take up this small space (climbing up an old tree stump). I'll post a pix of previous year next so one can compare.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here was the trelis that was too small to support these combination of Clems. 'Jackmanii' and "Polish Spririt'. I took that flimsy trelis down after one growing season.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Another view of that same trelis was filling out rapidly, looking back I think I've both type of clems. pictured here:

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.