Clematis blooms, Everyday

Delaware, OH

gld andrews, did the wether ever break thru to spring for ya? hope so and bet it did. nc so pretty....i rmember cam in the mountains and sliding rock , nc adventures!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

HP, thanks for the request. I'll create a new one. Sorry stormy weather took away some online time for me.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/985063/

Here is the link to the next thread:

The picture is the large blooming General Skikoski.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Looking out the window this morning I noticed a bloom on General Sikorski - pretty wet now, I'll try to get a picture after work

Delaware, OH

my sikorski rests a lot. one has not appeared yet this year, but i know it will. one has and is ok. not super vigorous for me, but it is a pretty , pretty clem. it likes to rest, but does come back.
a general has that right to do what he wants!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm going to have to try to serpentine layering the Gen. Believe it or not, that one I've in a very deep container climbing up a species rosa. I was just looking at the vine this morning, and wanting to preserve it in some way.

Delaware, OH

lily love , i am sure you know you need to use a vine with some woody feel and age to it. fresh vine usually does not layer well, it can rot if it is damp and rich enough to sprout, before it sprouts. so really need to wait till mid summer, unless it is an older vine. but a really old vine usually too old to layer as well.

think about it as teens and adults. the young teen is too young to date and mate. your adult too set in ways to date and mate. should be just the right age for successful propagation!

that said there in an exception to every rule, so go for it.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

CG, you're a gifted teacher!!! Easy to understand, but a precise instruction you've given. So in short, I'm looking for semi-ripe woodsy stem to layer with? Does that kind of summarizes your direction? You're most appreciated. I'd be happily pay for a new one, but this one of the rare finds that I don't see available on the market very often. Not locally.

Delaware, OH

bingo and thanks for the compliment.
yes semi ripe , not over the hill stem!

that said, go for it.

i am going to do a lot of layering this year too after planting, etc is over. it build a safety net on the plant dying and also increases the display size and vigor.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I am planning to add at least one clematis on the trellis behind/with a climbing rose, Westerland. It is on a southwest wall, gets plenty of sun and some wind, that is mostly absorbed by lower plantings in front. I have never grown any clematis before, so I am hoping for one that is forgiving of newbies. I am thinking of a pale blue or pale bluish lavendar. I really like the HF Young, but am also considering Franziska Maria or c. macropetala lagoon (I love those little ones.) Here is a pic (not mine) of Westerland.

Thumbnail by GardenQuilts
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I would also like suggestions for the climbing rose, William Baffin. It is a pink Explorer rose, said to be a vigorous grower that can get quite large. I was planning to plant Clematis triternata 'Rubromarginata' (from Bluestone) with it, but am having second thoughts about planting a group 3 clematis with a big, thorny rose. Here is a pic of William Baffin form Help Me Find (hope it is ok to post it.)

Thumbnail by GardenQuilts
Athens, PA

GardenQuilts

I saw a picture online a couple years ago with this type of rose and Clematis Huldine planted with it. It was absolutely gorgeous. For some reason, I think it was in England, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it was stunning.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Those roses are beautiful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.