Spring peeking Vol. 2

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

sedium

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Buttoneer, Every time I think of Bluebells I remember that picture. One of the prettiest I have every seen!
BTW, I posted a comment on your Dutchman's in an earlier post, in case you missed it I copied it below.

Buttoneer, That is strange with your Dutchman's Britches. Mine come up every year in the exact same place. They have multiplied but not much and they have been there about 25 years. In the last couple of years one small new group has started near the main group. I do try to be very careful when digging in the area near my DB not to disturb them. Maybe in your planting you are relocating them somewhat?

Oh how I wished I owned the woods behind me or the hedge row across the lane. What beautiful woodland gardens I could make. (Sigh)

Johnson's Blue Geranium

Clematis, just one of a few that I have. It amazes me how early they start to show signs of life.

Mrs. Moon trying hard to lift her head out of the snow.

Snow Glories, love the blue color.

Not a clear picture but my Pasque flower. Will it bloom on Easter?

Rhubarb pie anyone?

I too have some of those Wild Daffs, given to me by a neighbor who has passed on many years ago. They are in a very difficult place to dig out, but they keep blooming every year.

Last of the Purple Crocus

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Weed or What? I have these things coming up all over the place and can't seem to remember. Are these hardy Geranium or just some weed that I should pull? Seems to me I was given something that looked like this, but also think I've pulled weeds like this before, too.
LadyG, I was just looking my my Clematis yesterday and thinking how great to see them coming back. My old one has been there so long, and the new ones only a year or two. Just get a thrill seeing them come up. I'll have to go and check the ones on the split rail fence and see if there is anything out there yet. They were pretty small and struggling last year.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

That's one thing I don't enjoy trying to figure out Flower or Weed each spring...I've had a patch of med height decorative "grass" in this one area of the back flower bed...have no earthly idea what it is. Reminded me at first of day lily leaves but it's not...I know where they're planted...ugh

Holly, they look more like a geranium to me, sometimes I'll pinch a leaf off, crush it and sniff it. Geraniums have a special smell to them, besides the scented one.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Holly, I think ladygardener is right - that looks like the leaves of a cranesbill geranium... I hope that's what it is and not a weed!

ladygardener, great pictures - spring is really moving up the coast!

Chantell, this site is SOOOO wonderful for help with the "flower or weed" dilemma - so many knowledgeable and helpful people hanging out and with digital cameras, it's so simple to post a picture and get an ID pretty quickly. Maybe your "grass" is siberian iris, or something similar? Although that doesn't recurve like daylily foliage... so, post a picture! ;-)

sally, I have to say that I think I agree with Jill & ladygardener about the seedlings - they look a lot like that frilly purple leaf basil.

Barb

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Barb - you're absolutely right...last year I was letting a weed grow every where thinking my Nicotiana had self sown...when in fact they were WEEDS!! And I was about to pull something else when I caught a very unweed like scent when brushing against it...twas not weed....thankfully the DG gang came to the rescue and I wised up and decided photographing TRUE Nicotiana leaves and uploading to plantfiles would help me in the future...LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OK! Went outside and took some pictures.....

For doc...Here is one of the "wild" Daffodils with the green in them....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is my first Tulips blooming....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is my mauve Hellebore that has now been in bloom for a couple of weeks.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Just some pretty, yellow daffs.---I know...everyone has them by now!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

These yellow Daffs. have the orange trumpets.....Can't see them too well ---too bright...
NO flash! Still too bright.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

We had a back and forth about these last Spring.....Trying to ID them.

These blooms are "clumped" in bunches--are VERY, VERY fragrant, and do not really look like Daffodils. VERY hardy--they just keep coming up and multiplying.....
Still wondering what they might be????????

Any NEW ideas??????

Thumbnail by Gitagal

gita, they sure remind me of daff. Cheerfulness. But the number of blooms on each stem is outstanding. What are you feeding them?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't feed them anything......
They are just a small-blooming bulb of some kind.....very hardy.....very pretty and very fragrant....I already said that........DAH!

Growing in my "YUK" bed to boot--yet they thrive......year after year!

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Maybe 'Bridal Veil'.

http://daffseek.org/query/query-action.php?opt=M1&pagenum1=1

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

doc--

When I say they are clumped--I mean there is ONE stalk and a lot of blooms on top of it--all radiating out from the top of the stem.....each little bloom is also double/triple in petals.....

I have now had these for several years--and they just keep on trucking......

Here is another picture from last Spring......

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Hey Gita,

Nice pics of all your new blooms.

Maybe your mystery daff is "Erlicheer"? I first found it at Brent & Becky's shop down in Gloucester some years ago, and it's VERY fragrant.

(Note to Chantell - if you don't have this one, you NEED IT!!!) ;->

Here's a link to their catalog - and I have to add that my plant doesn't have as much yellow as the catalog photo shows... but I got it from them, so I hope it wasn't mis-labeled. "Cheerfulness" looks like a possibility too.

Whatever you've got, it sure it pretty!

http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/spring/productview/?sku=01-0418

Barb

Last spring there five hundred red tulips in this bed - I was concerned they might not come back so I planted another hundred white ones. But it looks like the red ones are almost all coming up, so it should be really nice in a week or two!

Thumbnail by claypa
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Claypa, I remember those red tulips and the rocks that came out of that bed. LOL

Wow, Mike, look at all those tulip buds!!! How nice that most seem to have come back - it is definitely gonna be gorgeous in a little while. Send pictures!

Barb

Lol, sure I'll post pictures - I almost posted last year's I got so tired of waiting for this spring! Yes that was a lot of brittle little rocks. They're now rip-rap for the neighbor's driveway.

The Puschkinia last long enough to still be in bloom when the Muscari start blooming:

Thumbnail by claypa

Lots of 'Jack Snipe' narcissus, and a few 'Marieke' or whatever they are. You can see the burnt up foliage on the 'Avalanche' narcissus towards the foreground. For some reason the leaves start coming up in the fall and they get zapped in the winter cold.

Thumbnail by claypa
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Daylily--

I believe you have correctly ID'd these Daffs....
Thank you so much!

I was going to print out the info in the link you posted--BUT--I am out of toner!!!!
Have to go buy new ones....

Thanks a lot! Gita

Gita,

Happy to have helped - I WAS interested to see at least 2 other double-flowered daffs in the catalog that look quite similar to Erlicheer, so maybe it's not a positive, positive... but a start. ;-)

Barb

PS: Since you're out of toner, just order a print catalog from Brent & Becky's - it's chock full of all sorts of pretty pictures and information on bulbs and their culture.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Re my basil like seedlings---ah ha a bell goes off. I bet they are Perilla

claypa re Jack Snipe- are they fairly short? I think I have them, they bloom at about 4-5 inches tall for me and are some of my earlier ones.

Yes, but not that short - PF says up to nine inches, Brent and Becky's site says up to twelve. I just measured some and they're 8-13" or so.

Columbines - these A. canadensis get bigger than the others here

Thumbnail by claypa
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Very, very pretty y'all - I see several things coming up here now, hellebores are a blooming, the violas will soon open and I have at least 10 clematis with buds - climbing roses are taking off like rockets and I just received 2 huge orders of plants - can you say "I'm ready to get going"!!! My kitchen counter is covered in tropicals & citrus that are waiting for warmer weather before they can go outside and my inside sown MG are growing like gangbusters! Jill gave me some runner bean seeds - I planted them in jiffy pots and they are now over 1/2 foot tall - the roots are huge and I need potting soil so I can put them in pots ^_^ One of the "good finds" from W'burg was deep plastic pots with detachable trellises & they will come in very handy! (At $0.99 they were too good to pass up...)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes...kicking myself for only picking up those 2....the pots alone were worth the .99...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

.99 !!!! awesome

Meant to say to Holly--there's a little ,weedy geranium I see pop up here and ther, which may be what you have. Blooms will be small and foliage kind of thin.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Yes, the trellis pots will come in handy when I overplant them with MG's - since I went a "tad" overboard with seeds & so many have acutally sprouted I can pretty much set up a "wall" of trellis pots filled to the brim with MG's :-)

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Holly, before I get carried away looking at all these gorgeous pics, I think your "Geranium" is a weed :( http://www.aragriculture.org/horticulture/ornamentals/weed_id/geranium_carolina.htm It pops up everywhere here too - the only good thing about it is it's shallow rooted and easy to pull out!

claypa, 500 hundred red tulips - wow! We've got tulips that were planted 8 years ago that are still coming up every year. Nowhere near as spectacular as the first year but we do still see a few blooms.

Gita, your white Daffodil is beautiful! I'm not usually fond of the doubles but I like that one :)

Sally, I keep thinking your little seedlings look familiar - any chance you had Agastache growing in the area? They pop up everywhere here and I seem to remember they have the darker color when the true leaves first appear http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53425/

More Daffodils blooming here, Thalia, one of my favorites is in bloom. Regular old green Brunnera macrophylla popped some blooms this week, Lamiums in bloom and Hostas are finally peeking out of the ground! Sorry, no pics - was busy yesterday snapping pics at the water garden place (Springdale) yesterday but I'll try to get a few of my blooms soon!

Oops, see I DID get carried away! LOL Chantell, the "babies" look great :) Buttoneer, I agree, that is the most beautiful photo of the Bluebells! Chris, if it makes you feel any better, we even had snow here! Looked outside and thought it was frost - nope SNOW! Only a dusting but still wasn't a pleasant sight :(

This message was edited Apr 9, 2009 4:45 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.