Rocky Mountain Forum shirts (and other stuff)

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I want a replicator too. Just dump in some raw material and tell it what you want and there it is. Fresh peaches in January? ok! A robot to clean my kitchen? No problem! Endless possibilities.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I'll take one of those as well!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I was going to say I'll take two but that would be redundant.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

A replicator sounds like something Dahlia would have. Or do you call it something else, Dahlia? A reconsistuteur? (pronounced with a French accent)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have a hypothesis in the Experiments Chapter of the Great Book of Lists about this. I think a nuker might be modified to do just that!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Harumph. Guess you'll have to wait until DH is out of town to attempt THAT one.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The recent "discuss" rule which I agreed to includes absentism picante. It's my own fault remember. The coffee bean in the gas jet thingy was pretty expensive to fix and totally avoidable but I just had to see if it would melt. Of course I'm sure that the stupid bean CHOSE to fuse to the whole gas jet thingy mechanism foiling a perfect experiment on purpose! Anyhoo another hypothesis gone awry sigh.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Coffee beans are famous for such behavior.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Huh... Dahlia, is that one we've already heard about? I missed it, wherever you posted it. Dangit, you're hard to keep track of.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes dear picante I told everyone about this one because it resulted in the agreed to"discuss" clause. Although many have tried to lead me astray Dave who is Dave can vouch that I have remained faithful to the "discuss" clause. Little does anyone know that I have found a loop hole shhhhh there are many new experiments afoot

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You are right about the nuker being an essential component of a replicator. Transporters as well, which are very similar devices. The way a transporter works is that you convert matter to energy, transport the energy, and then convert the energy back to matter. In a transporter you have to put it back the exact way you it was to begin with, so you have to copy the coding for the way it was constructed and send that too. The coding is the tricky part. In a replicator instead of coding the matter while converting it to energy, you store codes for a plethora of things so that you can just create whatever you want when you need it. A replicator requires a large storage cell for the energy whereas a transporter just needs a fast buffer. The nuker does the matter to energy conversion.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Wow. I understand perfectly now that I have read your lucid description.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Wooooweeee! Dave-who-is-more-than-Dave, you scientists down in NM really have the Energy/Matter business all figured out!

So can you explain why Einstein's equation still works when you substitute "music" for "mass"?

BTW, Dahlia, don't you think you'd better bounce your loophole idea off of us before you accidentally fulfill your High Debacle Quest and set off the Yellowstone caldera?

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Puh-leeeze bounce your idea off us! I am far too close to the Yellowstone caldera to want you to blow it up.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The equation still works because fast music gives you energy too!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Einstein's theory never works for me because I have issues with gravity.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I don't know if they do counseling for that.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O forgot about the loophole. Well Mulch got me thinkin with her theory about firecrackers exploding so it wasn't an experiment because they would explode for sure. I have been practising 'traditional scientific experimentation' which must have the following: Hypothesis, Method, Observations, Conclusions. I was thinkin that if one of these essential things was missing then it wouldn't be an experiment, ergo/thus not fall under the 'discuss' rule. I plan to eliminate all future conclusions from my experiments. I'm just gonna let them rip and observe.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Well, that is a highly creative solution to the problem indeed.

Excuse me while I go build a large bunker under the hoop house.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I'll be right down to help. -- Julie

Santa Fe, NM

There is counseling for people with gravity issues in Japan. They tell jokes and laugh to create levity. Then gravity is no longer an issue. As for traditional experimentation I think you could skip the conclusions. Everybody will just draw their own in any case. Plus, they will change.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

(says the funny bird who lives way south and far away from the conclusionless rocket scientist).

Santa Fe, NM

South Pole more like it today. Snow and slushy sleet all day long.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

YUK! Hopefully it will melt fast and give your garden a nice drink.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Warm and sunny and I have spent most of the day doing outdoor garden things instead of what I was supposed to be doing. After having snow and wind most of the week, this is wonderful.

Santa Fe, NM

You deserve a break!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I'm glad you're getting some water roybird, even if it comes in a slightly too cold version.

It's supposed to be in the 80s here this weekend. Geez, it was snowing only a few days ago. I'm going to have to remove the cold frames and put up the shade cloth. At least it finally mojito weather. I didn't have any lime juice today but I had some dynamo juice from TJs and it's quite tasty mixed with fizzy water and a (large) splash of rum.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ooohhhh, Katlian. Mojitos! The last ones, last summer seem 100 years ago. This is the solution to my mint invasion. More mojitos! Glad to hear TJ lime juice is good. Haven't tried it but rarely have enough limes on hand unless I plan. And sometimes one just has an urge for a mojito without warning.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Well Dynamo has some lime juice in it but it's mostly other juices and a bunch of vitamins. But if restaurants can serve strawberry margaritas I can serve Dynamo mojitos.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

What do you all use for the "simple syrup" or, when we had mojitos at Bahama Breeze, the sugar cane fizzy water (they actually crushed real sugar cane with mint to make the base)? All mojito recipes welcome! I've been buying the bottled pre-mixed stuff, but I'd rather make them more authenitically.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I just mix bottled limeade (Simply Limeade is an excellent brand) with crushed mint and lime flavored club soda. I'm too lazy to make them from scratch.

Hey Dahlia, is Canada running out of people? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123993183347727843.html Hmm, my grandfather was from Saskatchewan, maybe I'm actually Canadian.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I do make mojitos from scratch -- not very often, but will have to improve in that department. Here is my recipe. The notes on it are not mine. I think I got this from the NYTimes, but am not sure. Anyhow, they got it from Bon Appetite, 2001.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mojitos

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Drinks And Punches Herbs

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cups Mint leaves
1 cup light rum
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
6 cups club soda
6 cups crushed ice
6 lime wedges.

Mojito's are described as "A refreshing cooler made with lime juice, fresh mint leaves and plenty of rum." It is also known to have been the beverage of choice for Ernest Hemmingway while he was staying in Cuba.
There are dozens of mojito recipes out there but this is the one I like. It came from Bon Appetit 2001.

3 cups (packed) fresh mint leaves
9 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups light rum
1/2 cup fresh lime juice

6 cups club soda
6 cups crushed ice
6 lime wedges

Reserve 6 mint leaves for garnish. Place remaining mint leaves in a medium bowl. Add sugar. Mash with a wooden spoon until mint is aromatic and oils are released. Add rum and lime juice and stir until the sugar dissolves. Strain mixture into a pitcher. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead: Referigerate.)

Add club soda to pitcher and stir gently. Fill each glass with 1 cup crushed ice. Pour mojito over and garnish each glass with 1 mint leaf and 1 lime wedge.

-------------------------------------------------------

I might add that Theresa and I got some good ones in Denver --but where? -- when we last went to the DBG Plant sale.

Katlian, you may very well be a Canadian citizen, the way I read that article.

As for the deerproof plants, everyone. In order to deerproof my garden I will have to give up everything I have in the ground. Nothing I have was on that list. No iris on the list at all. And deer do much things with thorns with gusto -- both raspberries and roses, that I have experienced.
Guess I might try some of what they list if I can find them. I wonder if the nursery that submitted the list doesn't just have a deer proof fence.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Hmmm, I think some of the deer in our town are actually Canadian, from that article. And definitely the Yellowstone wolf pack is.

I once had a French Canadian boyfriend... maybe I could be Canadian. I've certainly wanted to be many times.

PJ, you don't say what time you're serving those up.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I once upon a time married a Canadian, lived there five years, never wanted to be one. I liked Toronto though, and hiking the Bruce Trail.

Santa Fe, NM

I have often wished to live in Canada and wouldn't mind being Canadian but have not had the opportunity. Living in Santa Fe is kind of like living in a foreign country, so I'm told.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Lopez Island is too. When I lived on Whidbey we would say we were "going over town" if we took the half hour ferry to the mainland. Boats ran every half hour except for the wee hours of the morning.

When I moved to Lopez, the locals would instead say, "I am going to America today." Only four or five boats a day and if you took a ferry to the mainland and turned right around and came back without even doing anything it would take at least half a day. Totally different mentality...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We're just did trying to be evironmentally friendly. We're recycling Canadians ^_^

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Snorkle!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Otherwise they'd end up in the landfill?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Worse. Reused as lumberjacks. It's very sad.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.