What is your favorite color combination in the garden?

There are a total of 471 votes:

I like the pinks and magentas with gray
(11 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Purple and lime green are a favorite of mine
(38 votes, 8%)
Red dot

I like soft colors together like pinks and blues
(52 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Hot tones like red, yellow and orange are my favorites
(86 votes, 18%)
Red dot

I like everything mixed together
(220 votes, 46%)
Red dot

Other. Please tell us!
(64 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

blue/yellow and
purple/yellow/orange

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

My gardens are primarily woodland shade, and I've grown to prefer foliage and the cool pastel colors (pinks, purples, pale yellows, whites) that make up the plant palette that work in those conditions LOL.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I love all flowers and usually don't care what color they are. I try and have contrast as well as complimenting colors in all my stuff, course it dosen't always work out that way. Color I care about when choosing my wardrobe or sending something to a friend.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I voted for "other" since I prefer Pamela Harper's theory of Color Echoes, which is also the name of her book.

Thumbnail by pirl

Violet and orange

Kannapolis, NC

Depends on the area I'm gardening in. I want to make a moon garden somewhere this year, add a water feature and I'm redoing several beds. I generally lean toward pastel shades, but my daylilies are sometimes raucuous colors and combos! Some areas need bolder colors while others require calmer, more soothing tones.

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

I discovered one of my new favorite combinations completely by mistake last year! I wanted to have red zinnias with white wave petunias in a side bed in our front yard. However, I ordered the zinnia seeds listed as "scarlet", which apparently are really bright orange. I was so upset - I thought it would look horrible with the white petunias. But, when I bought the petunias, some were not blooming. When they opened they were a hot pink! So, as a result of two mistakes, my orange and hot pink bed was an eye catcher from the road all last year!

Thumbnail by ericabelle
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

All colors are pretty. Mix them up!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

My favorite color combo is blue and/or purple with yellow. I find myself gravitating to that a lot.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Voted "other". Texture is more important to me than color combinations.

Doug

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

I voted "other" as I have several beds and they all have a different theme. The bed I was going to make a yellow/green/orange was going fine until the azaleas bloomed and they are lavender. At least the azaleas bloom earlier than anything else so that is a moot point and I can go back to Plan A. The other front bed is a pink/red/fuschia/white/green bed and so far has remained that way. Next to it is a lot of green and then Lorapetulum (sp?) which stands out and kind of goes w/the pink, etc. and is in front of some green shrubs. All of this is under or very near Loquat trees w/yellow fruit on it but those will be gone soon (fruit, I mean). In the back is a hodge-podge of green w/Brugs and a few Plumerias and some "different" roses - mostly singles and doubles on long canes but not climbers. There's even cactus in there and I'm not about to start messing w/that. Then overgrown oleanders that bloom only once a year and that disgusts me because I am a brilliant-color lover and I find plain green boring.

Ann

Cedar18, so you might like this. Rudbeckia 'Maya' and Salvia 'Marcus'.
The Salvia is actually more purple but my camera sees it as blue.

Thumbnail by valrita
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

As I hardly ever plan, I usually end up with lots of color scatter hither and yon.

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

Shades of pink and soft orange

Durham, NC(Zone 7b)

I like my pinks, purples, whites and yellows... though I tend to have others mixed in sometimes - that one plant I just couldn't live without :-)

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I love all colors,but I like to have theme areas here and there.Like shady areas with all types of contrasting foliage or maybe one bed with all oranges,reds and yellows and another with purples,pinks and whites.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

velnita, that is perfect! Not only the colors but the contrast in flower shape. I have Marcus but not Maya. Will have to try that.

Lafayette, LA

Voted other because I love lots of white flowers with other colors mixed in as accents.
When the sun sets you see mostly the whites...beautiful!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Mix it up! ☺

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

I love them all, including white!

Frisco, TX

Definitely pinks and blues.

Thumbnail by friscoflora
Hopewell, PA

My new favorite plant is a knock-out lime green and purple combo. Agastache "Golden Jubilee
I started it from seed two years ago and it is truly beautiful. I have it in 3 garden locations

Thumbnail by JanGinger
Santa Fe, NM

I put "other" because I like the colors to change with the seasons. I prefer the golds and reds in fall and the more pastel colors in spring. I like purple any time, though. Texture is just as important as color.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

I always plan 2 main plots/boxes/gardens/etc. One with a "sunset" scheme (red, orange, yellow, magenta) and one with the cool pinks & blues. Somehow, I always seem to favor the pinks & blues, and there are more of them. I can't overcome my bias, I guess.

Occasionally I'll do a third big show of patriotism: my red white & blue box. It always seems to bloom with a week or two between each plant. Kinda blows the effect. :-( Any suggestions to narrow the "around July 4" window?

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Holeth.... I think that I just found the name of my color scheme.... "sunset". Thanks! I was going to say that I have a large bed where I like to plant things with dark red and/or brownish foliage with things that have red or orange or other 'sunset' colored foliage!

In my shady area I like to mix greenish blue foliage stuff with silver foliage. I don't pay attention to the flower color there :-p I guess that if it were to really clash..... I'd care.

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

Friscoflora,
LOVE your garden!

Maggie

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

orange and purple.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

I like color vomit. Like somebody just puked flowers and the colors are everywhere mixed together.
I tend to select the pastels over the intense colors, or the muted and drab ones. I like bright and cheery without being disturbing. I use red some, but the flamy orange red is not my favorite. Dark reds with blue undertones work better for me. And if I pick blue, it is usually baby blue, not the darker shades.
Pink, yellow and lavender together are a favorite combo. Plus orange and purple (has to be just right though).
Pink is a color that just mixes with anything, so is buttery yellow.
I don't care for the mustardy or deep yellows AT ALL. For example I think the plain gold coreopsis is YUK.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

The gray of Dusty Miller or Lambs Ears pared with deep purple, salmon or pink is a real showy combination. And last year I planted Gailardia next to a big Blue Queen Salvia and WOW, that really lit up a space!

Houma, LA

I plant different combinations in different beds. Soft colors, cool colors and hot colors are separated.

Dorothy

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Someone asked about patriotic flower combos, here is mine. Also, do a search on DG for an article somebody wrote about patriotic flower combinations.

Thumbnail by MaryE
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Cedar18, I, too, love purple and yellow together.

Because flowers are so fleeting, I have a Helmond Pillar Barberry surrounded with Artemisia vulgaris ‘Golden Phoenix’. This pairing provides an entire season of purple and yellow color contrast without the need for flowers.
Mike

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

I like the magentas,greens and purples mixed with maybe a splash of white or yellow thrown in

Jacksonville, FL

I'm new in these parts... where do you vote? Purple and green is my favorite combo inside or out!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

brclark56, go to the DG homepage, look on the right hand side, there is a question every week beginning on Monday. Below that are a whole bunch of other things in boxes, birthdays of DG members, some botanical history, a list of the newest folks, and other things I can't remember now.

Seward, AK(Zone 7b)

I voted 'other'. I grow nothing but wildflowers. Some are transplanted, but most come to my yard naturally, by way of bird droppings, wind-blown seeds and occasional flooding.

Thumbnail by avaeads
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I lean toward the reds because they attract hummingbirds.

Buffalo, NY

Nature doesn't plan in color pallates so why should I :) If I plant it and it grows and flowers so much the better!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

All of the ones on the list, just not necessarily mixed. Different beds get different color combinations. Rooms in my house have different color schemes. I like them all but would not put all the colors on one wall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.