Any New 2009 Iris Catalogs Yet? Part 4

Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

They sure have some nice ones in the catalog. So if catalogs are arriving, website should be up soon.

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Here is Changling, it is those colors first then as it ages it goes to cream, brown , then yellow

Thumbnail by 1913cat
Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

Here is Competitive Edge in KY

Thumbnail by dd95172
Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

Here is Afternoon Delight in KY

Thumbnail by dd95172
Cherryvale, KS

HAPPY Wed. BIF's I knew that iris was Afternoon Delight! I was talking about previous picture of Alabaster Unicorn! (NOT)LOL !! Sorry I wasn't clear.

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Here is Burnt Toffee(TB Sch 77) Sorry about the confusion!!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Raleigh, NC

LOL - I haven't had Afternoon Delight (always loved that name!) in ten years, but mine did look more like Cooleys photo than your photos.

Cherryvale, KS

Happy Thursday BIF's!! My first iris is in bloom!! Leopard Print!! Maybe I can take a picture tomorrow!! the pic is Coming Storm (Sch 06) I have an iris meeting tonight in Parsons, can't decide wheather to pick my flower and brag! LOL

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

Jackpot ! Comanche Acres, Winterberry and Schreiner's arrived today. {now that I'm out of money} May be able to squeeze a few more in.
Thanks for all the help of trying to ID my Mesmerizer Not!
Bumbeebee Deelite bloomed out today, and it's raining again, chilly too.
rose

Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

can't spell Bumblebee or maybe I can, had to try twice

Raleigh, NC

Suttons arrived, so did a peony catalogue - I'm looking for more companion plants.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I finally got my Winterberry Catalog. Apparently I wasn't on their mailing list. Probably I will get on it if I order again this year. Now I am happy and ready to start ordering.

South Hamilton, MA

Sutton's catalog arrived yesterday--April 2. I had ordered SDB Pinkster last year to help hybridizing program. Nothing in that line for me this time.

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Katie's website is now open for business;
http://www.stoneycreekiris.com/

Raleigh, NC

i don't know katie - gotta go check this out. think I've heard of stoney creek

editted to add - has anyone noticed that Sutton's catalogue this year didn't put in the parentage for the new intro's? bummer. and I only see one early rebloomer- the late rebloomers usually won't rebloom here in Zone 7.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2009 9:51 AM

I placed an order with Katie already, she is a great lady!!!!

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

NickysIris, beautiful picture of Coming Storm. Looking forward to seeing Leopard Print!

South Hamilton, MA

I noticed the omission. I would e-mail them & tell them it is important to know. However, the plants may be from involved seedlings (see any Ben Hager regis.). If so they should list them the year before.

Raleigh, NC

it is hard to know which you might want to try for crossing with if you don't know that parents.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

OK I am in BIG Trouble again
Sutton just arrived
Mike did a WONDERFUL job
His Reblooming Double Down is Well you will have to get a catalog and see
ahhh

more money bleeding out
A

Lebanon, OR

Also got Cooleys, Winterberry, Brent & Beckys, Sutton and I agree Anita I thought I was done shopping....well B&B is at 75.00 for bulbs Winterberry I will not say, Cooleys 100.00 Suttons about 200.00 now am I finished...oh forgot friend is going to Japan to see if she can find a JI grower that will ship to little ole Lebanon, OR

D

South Hamilton, MA

Not pleased that Sutton's did not give parentage of intros.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

They usually don't I wrote Mike and Asked along with other questions
:)
A

Raleigh, NC

I was looking at Double Down, too, but it reblooms in Oct in zone 9. figured it wouldn't rebloom here. wondering if I should try it as a rebloom parent. now Harbor Skies, not quite as interesting a pattern, he rates as reliable early rebloomer in zone 8 - that one might have a chance for me. and the colors are pleasing if not interesting. love the looks of Bright Blue Eyes and it reblooms....

I thought I saw the parentage of the 2008 intros listed, though, last year, and the year before that too.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

I had never heard of Sutton before, and I was born and raised in CA. But, they have been in business in the San Joaquin Valley for only 25 years, and we left SLO county in 1970. So, thanks for the info on their gardens. WONDERFUL! It would be a shorter shipping distance than from Cooley's, and I still haven't received Cooley's catalog. Maybe it will be in the mail today.

Bonjon, where do I find a photo of Double Down?

Raleigh, NC

it's new - in their catalogue only probably, until Sutton's has their website up for the year. Last year it got put up very very late, though.

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Suttons arrived two days ago along with the TBIS magazine.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have never ordered from Suttons, so I will have to use their web site -- which is no big deal for me. I also got my TBIS magazine in the last couple of days. Lovely photos!

How come the mid-west is always the last to receive mail, dang it. No Sutton, or Cooley's or TBIS, magazines yet.

Raleigh, NC

I haven't joined the TBIS yet. can anyone tell me anything about it?

The journal is very informative, I personally think it is a great club. Alot of great articles from the hybridizers.

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I love the TBIS journal. It is a very good read with tons of great pics.

Cherryvale, KS

HA HA Cat, I'm in the mid-west and have both (TBIS & Suttons)!! It must be MO!! LOL Happy Monday BIF's!

Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

It may take Katie from Stoney Creek a while to get back to you, but she will. Her brother-in-law passed away a few days ago. {Husband's sister's husband} And I agree, she is very sweet.

Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

Correction !!! It was not Katie's brother-in-law, but Nina Morgan's, she has Daylily Haven Iris Gardens. Sorry for mistake. But Katie is still sweet.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I received my Winterberry catalog today, hurray. Geez, they sure must have lots and lots of Iris, its page after page of listings.

If I wanted to try and find pictures of a particular iris, is there some datebase somewhere to look up pictures such as the Daylily Society (AHS) has?

I received Suttons and TBIS today

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The best database for looking up iris photos is Plant Files on Dave's Garden. Unfortunately, it is not as complete as the AHS's database of daylilies. The American Iris Society has an online database of irises which have been registered after a certain year, but you have to pay $10 per year to access it and it has not photos. The price is obviously not prohibitive, but I will share my method of finding iris photos. I go to google and enter in the search box >>Iris "Dusky Challenger". It brings up not only all of the ones from DG, but also any others that might be out there. Google is a great gardening tool, but I do wish we Iris folk had such a wonderful on-line database as the Daylily folk!

Raleigh, NC

I've made my own iris photo data base, but only use it to ID irises with. also from google. not long after I started creating it, my computer crashed, all data to that great ethernet in the sky. so now about every three months or so, DH puts it all on two CDroms for me.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I keep photos of all my iris that bloom, but other than that I use Plant Files. There is another good one at the following sight:

http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/

I don't get hits on it from Google that I can recall so it probably is an actual database. These photos are from the iris-photos list serve and cove many historicals, seedlings, etc. It is very useful in preparing for rhizome sales because one can provide a picture with each box of rhizomes. And you can search it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.