Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Paul, that iris is beautiful!!

Thanks for the new thread!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Lovely flower, Paul.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks all

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Molly, I never knew that about birds. We just always figured they were wierd.

Linda, they will settle in much quicker if you can just leave the door open during the day but not at night. They love the freedom even though they don't go anywhere except to the top of the cage. You will know when they are really settled in when they leave the cage completely.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

When I first got my birds I subscribed to Bird Talk magazine and for the next 5 years read everything they had to say.

Now I have to ask, Irish and Linda, what kind of birds are they. I suspect you already said, but I can't remember.

I have 4, an African Grey, a Maximillian Pionus (medium sized parrot, a Senegal (a small parrot) & a Cockatiel. Iggy, the cockatiel came from our very own Floridian, here at DG.

Unfortunately, since I now have 2 dogs and a cat, the birds are not allowed to wander the house freely. Too dangerous.

We finally got some rain today and it's wonderful, except it started right after I was digging and planting post tops around the flower beds. I slung that post hole digger right hard down into the ground and cut the 12 gauge romex right in half. The wire that powers the outlets in the pumphouse. No not the well. That wire was planted deep and cased in the gray PVC to protect it, by the well people. Safe from me.

Tomorrow it looks like I will be buying some more romex, splicing it in and putting in a 20amp circuit breaker. I am now told the 30amp Billy replaced last year is wrong and will burn the wire up.

I have a feeling I might have tripped the circuit to the well since I just flushed and didn't hear the pump come on. As soon as the rain stops, I'll go out and take a look.

This is NOT what I wanted to spend my 3 day weekend doing. And what do I know about splicing and wiring and such? But I didn't cry, just used a lot of colorful adjectives or verbs or whatever they are.

I need a snack now.

Molly

Jacksonville, FL

Molly--sounds like you started your 3 day weekend with a major crisis!! I used my imagination and know EXACTLY the adjectives you used! I have done about the same thing in years past.

The birds are Cockatiels

I opened the cage when I came home before noon and neither Zazu or Missy came out so after about an hour working in the yard I came in and put the cage on the floor. My next trip in about 2 hrs later Missy was outside on the cage so left them alone to see if Zazu would venture out. It has been about 5 hrs now and he never came out and now Missy is back in the cage with him. I still have the door open but will close it in awhile and put it back on the stand and cover it when I go to bed. I think they are missing you Rhonda! In time they will adjust I am sure, but it is a whole new scenario for them right now.

We had a nice rain awhile ago but it only lasted less than 20 minutes. Hoping we get more tonite, but it looks doubtful. I will take what I can get tho!

This message was edited Mar 27, 2009 5:16 PM

Jacksonville, FL

YIPPEE!!!!! I just got a call from the Sign Company I applied to and he offered me the job!!!!!! I start Monday!!! I am SOOO excited! Lots less time for gardening, but I can now afford to buy some plants from time to time! I hope this works out well and is all I anticipate it to be! Gotta restructure my schedules of garden time etc. And I have my work cut out getting the company back on it's feet and having a positive cash flow. But I am sure I can handle the task ahead.

Gotta bust butt this weekend and get alot done garden-wise --getting more plants in the ground etc .Wish me the best on the new job!!!
Linda

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Congratulations Linda!

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi all. : ) Wow, you all have been chatting away. : )
Yes, Kat, I'm still alive. Just been to busy with life to be on much. (Babysitting, Dr appts, etc.) Love all your food and flower pictures. : )

I sure can't respond to everybody, cause to much has been happening with all of you. I don't know when things will slow down around here, but I just wanted to drop in for a few, to see what I have been missing. : )

Oh, and Michele, I hope everything is better at your house, I know you haven't been on much either. Maybe we will hit being on together at the same time again, soon. : )

The rest of you behave, and get those weeds pulled and those flowers planted. : )
~Lucy

Congratulation Linda

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Congratulations and wishing you the best with your new job, Linda!!

Hetty, what time does that sale start tomorrow?

This message was edited Mar 27, 2009 8:01 PM

That is wonderful Linda! Congrats!

I'm sure they are missing us. But, since they were alone so much I don't think it will take to much time. Did I tell you they love music? Another wierd thing.

All my other plants came in today. So the Columbine, Peonies, Plumeria (in pots) and Ms Lucy Lily are all in the ground and before the rain came. They got a nice soaking. Now I have to let the Plumeria dry out completely before watering again. This one is going to take some extra work, but will be worth it in the end.

Hope everyone had a great day!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Alyssum and Dahlberg daisy>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Question:

We have a Wisteria vine that is coming into it's 3rd year. It has lots of vine and leaf, but has not flowered as yet. Does anyone know why this would happen? Is there anything we can do to get it blooming? It sure has us perplexed.

Port Charlotte, FL

It is typical for wisterias to take years to bloom. No worries if it is thriving. It could still be another year or two before it flowers. One thing gardeners have to have is patience (I struggle with it) and when that is lacking....thats why we buy annuals. Instant gratifiction!!!!

Marianne the sale is Saturday 10-4 and Sunday 11-4.
I won't be there tomorrow.

Linda - many congratulations on snagging the job!

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

That's ok, and thanks, Hetty... I'll be there at 10 to get early pick'ns and I'll be back on Sunday for your Plumie talk...by the way, I was afraid you might not get on again tonight and went back through all the threads until I finally found your comment about the sale in #113!!!!... and the time was not there! So thanks again for posting the times. My eyes are so bugged from glancing over all those messages, I'm ready for a G&T to put me to sleep!!!

This message was edited Mar 27, 2009 9:39 PM

Thanks Sandy. We thought there must be something wrong with it. Our other two Wisteria bloom over and over again and this one nothing. Thank you for helping us out.

We have plenty of other things to give us the instant gratification in the mean time. Everything is growing back or starting to bloom. My gosh, the Roses have all this new growth and blooms on them, they will be something this summer. They told us the 2nd year on Roses is when they really take off and now we can see what they mean.

We will remain patient on the Wisteria.

Thank you again.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well I was out putting plants in the garden this afternoon, I got 4 out of 6 in the ground and decided I needed to get in out of the rain. I went to the back patio to see how the rain barrel was handling the rain. I need to work on the connection on the downspout, if that wasn't leaking so bad I'd have had a full barrel. As it was I almost got 3/4 of the barrel full I need to get another barrel for overflow, another rain like today and its gonna overflow!

Darla

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Linda Congratulations on getting the new job! I hope its a good fit for you!

Darla

Fort White, FL

irishsoul: Has anyone ever grown Peonies in Florida?? That is one of my favorite flowers...but I didn't think it would grow in Florida. Hoping to hear from others if they have grown Peonies here.
JoyceDee

I'm not sure. I checked and this is suppose to be able to grow here. I will keep you posted as to how they do. According to the growers guide, they will produce just a couple of blooms the 1st year, but in the 2nd year, after the root gets established, it will produce many blossoms. So it will be a wait and see. When they said it would grow here, I had to try it. I, like you have always loved them.

Here is the link if you are interested.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.tpl.csweb.cm_scid.cswb.item.M13888

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Joyce,

Tree peonies might be able to grow in FL, the herbaceous kinds don't. Generally it is too warm and the winters too short for peonies. I have never seen or heard of a successful plant. I have heard of people that have tired them - and failed.

Herbaceous peonies don't perfrom well even in Zone 7. Zones 3-5 is where they really shine and you will get dinner plate sized flowers.

I saw a peony growing in Austin TX a few decades ago, it was pitiful.

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Hey Paul! That is one gorgeous flower! Never seen anything like it. Grown from a bulb…in cooler climate? Love it!

Molly…picked up some marigolds tonight! Thanks again! Wow! You are like the Martha Stewart of electrical components! Cool! Hope you get things fixed!

Linda…I’m so happy for you! I sure hope this works out and you thoroughly enjoy it! From what you put on these threads, you’re a real hard worker and so enthusiastic, I think anybody would be lucky to have you in their employ! Good luck with the new job!

OH LUCY! So good to see you…Yep, you have a lot on your plate and I commend you for keeping it all together, but I’ve missed you.

I just love peonies also…but nope! No way do they do well here! Hosta’s too! They just melt when the heat comes!

Don and I went out on a date tonight! Haha. Home depot and TGI Fridays! We ate outside and yep, truck was parked with all my plants in viewing vision! Do you remember the commercials with OJ Simpson running through the airport? I would be running and leaping the outside gate if anybody messed with my plants! LOL

I have to say that Home Depot was EXCITING tonight! They just had the best plants and so healthy! Some really nice and unusual varieties too, like Kangaroo Paws and dead nettle!!! Seems like Friday night is a good time to go…they had 4 trucks in today. They also had a Palm sale – I bought a beautiful 5’ silver Bismark for $49.00!!!! Their palms were amazing and they had huge Bottle Palms, Foxtail and Fishtail! They were selling like crazy and I think I have to go back and get some more! I go there all the time and pick stuff up, but today I was really impressed! It’s too dark to take a photo tonight, but I’ll post one tomorrow – you won’t believe the great plants I got!

Cannot wait to get out there tomorrow and plant!

I’m also really happy because I got my backordered shipment of heads and statuary! 2 big pallets! Love it! I’m back in business again! LOL

Sleep well everybody! See you tomorrow!

Kat

This is so funny to me! They all mean well!

I’m not big into getting my nails/face/hair/feet done – usually I’ll do it if we’re on a vacation somewhere that there is a spa. However, this salon opened a couple blocks away from my office and it’s really nice and convenient.

I’ve told you this before, but I have probably the worst, ugliest cracked heels you’ll ever see. They’re so bad, they HURT! It’s my own fault…I’m constantly barefoot in the garden, walking on rocks, mulch, wear open heeled shoes all the time, whatever! I started going to this salon a few months ago, just to get my heels fixed. A couple of months ago, they gave me some “Foot condoms” hahaha – These blue latex socks that you put on your feet with oil/Vaseline or footbalm!

Well, they’ve been sitting in my car since then and last night I got a very extensive lecture from the owner, that I better start using them! I’m like OMG…I came here to relax! LOL. She was nice about it, but firm! It cracked me up! Not only that…My boyfriend Kirk has already sent me 2 text messages to remind me to use my foot condoms! Hahahahaha. I am so tempted to walk into her salon next week all dressed up, with my foot condoms on and ask if she approves hehehe

Hey...I got the message! LOL

Actually, these are probably going to do amazing things…but MAN are they HOT!!!! Don't need Hot feet at this age!

Kat

Thumbnail by KatG

Oh and by the way....

I still have not figured out who left this beautiful basket full of foot products on my porch in December. I'm thinking it might have been delivered to the wrong house! (or it's from somebody who seen my cracked heels!) How strange is that? I've asked everytbody I know...

Thumbnail by KatG

These foot condoms are really great when you're sitting still...However, walking across a wood floor I feel that I had a Meineke brake job today!

Good morning.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Good Morning Hetty

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Good morning everybody.

Thank you everyone for the information on Peonies. Ok, now I am worried. They are in the ground and I'm going to say a couple prayers for them. They are suppose to bloom this summer, so I don't have to wait real long to find out. The good news is, if they fail, they will refund my money 100%. At the very least, I will get an education from it and an experience I would never had if I didn't try. I will keep everyone updated on their growth. This should be fun.

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

What's all thge talk about rain? Not a drop here - maybe tonight.

I almost forgot, Kat, what a great morning chuckle. Foot condoms? You learn about some really interesting subjects on. Thank you for the story.

We had a very nice shower here last night and expecting some really strong storms tonight. Very cloudy this morning.

Good morning y'all

Thumbnail by wren107
Jacksonville, FL

I slept in this morning! Was glad to see some rain last night and hope we get more tonite. I am going to try to get a few more plants in the ground today in anticipation of precipitation. Got to get things trimmed back as well.

Kat - love the foot condom story!

Dale --beautiful flowers!

Rhonda--I hope the peonies do well for you. If they do I will be tempted to try them!

We had a lot of rain here yesterday and last night. The one rain barrel that is already installed is full. I need to get some more connectors for the rest of them when I go to the hardware store to buy some more 12 gauge wire and a circuit breaker.

Still supposed to have some more rain today. I took a short walk out yesterday after the first deluge and found everything out there had perked up tremendously.

Good thing I got all the dead stuff cleaned up before I cut that wire and the rain started. So that's something I won't have to try to fit in today. The compost pile I threw them in is well fed now with the rain.

I must take inventory of parts and pieces and make a list before I leave for Bronson. No doubt if I don't I will forget something.

I must go to the grocery store too. Used the last slice of bread and can of soup for supper.

All the animals are well stocked for food. I come last.

Lucy, it's so good to see you pop in. I've missed hearing from you. You mentioned Drs. appointments. Hope you are well.

Molly

Just a couple blooms to share: Lavender blooming

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And one of the Gaillardias. First of many blooms on the plants:

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.