Weird Foods and Other Strangeness

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think there may dahlias in my family tree Mulch cuz I get queezy just thinking about it.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Hmmm. I think I will stand by my statement that you are slightly confused, Dahlia.

But if it makes you feel any better I have awakened from dreams in which I was a poppy in my paintings, so I may understand better than you might assume! ;-)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Omigod, I found a great article. Here's a quote.

"Women are four times more likely than men to surrender their computer passwords for chocolate, according to a survey of 576 office workers conducted outside Liverpool Street Station in London by Infosecurity Europe.'

"According to the survey, 45% of women revealed their passwords to strangers posing as market researchers for a chocolate bar, compared to 10% of men.'

That seems obvious to me, they had to run a survey to figure it out? Here is the article. http://www.networkcomputing.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207400209

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Goodness gracious, I hope it was really good chocolate!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, I don't even have a computer password, but I would be sorely tempted to make one up on the spot, with an offer like that.

Unless it was bad chocolate, of course.

but then, if you did not recognize the brand, h ow could you tell?

and. I wonder what they could offer to men that would reverse those numbers? I bet there is something.....

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Kylaluaz, I believe a sniffing operation would be in order, followed by perusal of ingredients.

And yes, I know what they could offer to (some) men, but I won't go into it!! LOL!!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Fall-down moves are very easy while you're doing them. It's the landing that's difficult. Most of my face plants have been on skis and ice skates, because I never learned to do ropes like Bandaloopy-whoozits.

This-here move once ended in a rib-plant. Which cracked the rib in question.

Now I think I'd prefer tea and crumpets with the Queen. Or even the Mad Hatter.

Thumbnail by picante
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

that is sort of funny looking ice. It's a funny color. And a funny texture. Funny strange, not funny ha-ha.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

No, cracked ribs are no fun. I hope there was lots of chocolate offered to compensate.

Claire, yes, I did think of that, but wondered if there was anything else, similar to a chocolate bar, for example.

probably not.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Hmmm....probably depends on the guy. I know a few who would give up their password for the latest gadget, like an iPhone or something. Then there are those who would give up their password for a 6-pack of beer. And then there is my Kelly, who would give his up for an old chisel that he could restore. If you could hear the noises he makes in antique stores upon finding "the one" that he can restore. Very embarrassing.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

that makes me smile, actually. I used to be into that kind of thing.....

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Claire, I suspect the ice was full of bubbles, but I really don't remember.

I think restoring pianos would be more useful. Chisels? Is there something special about them that I'm missing?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't know how it is for Claire's fellow, but there is a kind of appeal and romance to old woodworking tools, if you have the taste for that kind of thing........ some of the older tools can be quite beautiful and once restored are somehow more solid feeling than new bought ones. Plus there is the knowledge that you are using something other craftspeople have used, perhaps for generations even, though maybe not that long with chisels, but still.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Heirloom tools, I think. My Dad is a retired carpenter, and my DH was just pining over lost gardening tools from his past... some things carry a spirit of not only what they once did, but what they still can do, and what they have yet to do. Or, I project my own feelings onto someone's old tools....

Love the ice skating pic, Picante!

Dahlia, I have been known to do my share of face plants... most recently a week or so ago. So, for a laugh, I will share... I broke my right hand ring finger (okay, shattered it) about 4 weeks ago. (80 lb. choc lab really is the responsible party, but that is another story). Anywhoooo, healing well, and we ride our bicyles down the road to the local saloon for some pool playing on Saturdays. So, I can ride just fine on the way there, imbibe happily, doing fine, then go to put my coat on and twist the sad finger which results in excruciating pain (even with the assistance of numbing alcohol).... now we must ride the bikes home, all is well, until I try to stop when we get home and my right hand fingers will NOT pull the brake because pain says NO... so I literally have to "lay it down", LOL... overall pretty funny from DH's point of view. And I'm absolutely confident that too many refreshing beverages had nothing to do with it!

Brenda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Heaven's no! It was your horoscope. If you had just read it you would have walked there and back -- or made DH a designated driver.
Sorry about the finger. An 80 lb. chocolate lab is capable of such stunts without even noticing. Glad it is healing well.

Picante,
I, too loved the skating picture. I couldn't even do that standing on my foot! Nor could I stand on two skates, much less one. You are quite the athlete/dancer!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Great ice rink picante.

Old tools are valued because we seem to have forgotten what quality and durability mean. I still have one or two that my Dad got from his Dad and passed on to me.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Picante - Kylaluaz really hit the nail on the head (how's that for a woodworking comment)!! He loves woodworking in general, he loves the old tools that have passed through hands of many craftspeople, thinking about how they were used, etc. He uses all his restored tools on his own projects, except for a few he sells for making money to buy more old tools! LOL! Chisels, wood planes, anything like that he loves. He uses power tools for some things, but he swears by the old hand tools for most purposes.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I have a set of antique leatherworking tools from a saddlemaker in Texas who retired before I was born and they are wonderful, better made than anything I can buy new. I also have an antique watchmaker's lathe I use for jewelry work, which was manufactured in May of 1908, I contacted the company with the serial number.

But I know a jeweler who is also a machinist and he restored an extremely rare Holtzsaphel (spelling clearly wrong here) lathe that only a handful still exist in the world. He does Fabrege reproductions with it and his other equipment, some of which he invented. His shop is amazing.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I inherited one grandfather's old tools. He was a carpenter and they are very interesting and beautiful, but neither my DH nor I do any woodworking. I also inherited a massive vice which I can't use for anything, but it is too good to give away. The toolboxes are homemade and I love looking at them. Probably I should get rid of them, but I can't bear to.

Santa Fe, NM

I love old tools. Reading about the chocolate, I would just lie about my passwords. I can't remember half of them anyway. So it would be a half-lie. I would also lie to get old tools. But, only if they worked. Picante, what a lovely ice skating picture! I have always been very uncomfortable with ice until last year when I learned a "Five Animal Chi Gung" which included a bear. I really like to bear walk on ice. Cat walking is also good. I very seldom fall but I do walk in to furniture fairly often. Which is how I broke two toes once. Every time I've been injured it has been because I was in a hurry. You'd think I'd learn something! Bsavage, Ouch!

Santa Fe, NM

Paja, you inherited a massive Vice? Me, too, a few of them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I just luv looking at Picante swishing around ^_^ My legs wouldn't do that move without severe owies happening. I am very, very attached to my wooden gardening tools. I cried when my trowel sacrificed itself digging up dahlias last fall. My DH saw and told Santa and Santa brought me a wonderful new one. I am particularly fond of a little hoe which I found in the garden shed. I like it because it looks like a serious gardening tool although I don't understood hoes so I have never used it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O Brenda be careful!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Someone gave DH's brother a huge old vice. As he is an architect he had no use for it and gave it to us. It was too large for our jewelry purposes and we had it sitting under a workbench.

A blacksmith friend came to visit, saw the vice and completely flipped. Apparently it was a very special and very expensive blacksmith vice he had never been able to afford. We gave it to him and he is still using it.

I figure if I am not using and not likely to use a wonderful tool I would like it to go to someone who will use it with respect.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luvly story Mulch.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Sorry to hear about your finger Brenda, broken bones are a real bummer. I hope it heals well. My DH fell off his bicycle last week and broke his leg.

Many years ago I inherited a double bladed axe from my grandfather. It's quite sharp and in very good condition but I don't really have much to use it on. We only have four trees and three of them were just planted in the past two years. I did use it to chop down an enormous sunflower that grew in my front yard two years ago. That sunflower was bigger than my little cherry tree.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Kelly loves vises too. He always likes a nice vise. Now, as for vice, that's completely different!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

If I find the right person I will give my vise to him -- or her. So far I have not met such a person. I know I could advertise but I wouldn't know the recipient if I found them on Craig's list or something. I would rather meet the person socially.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, Katlian, I hope your hubby's leg heals quickly, as well! Ouch! My finger is doing much better, typing with two hands again (although only using 9 fingers...)

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Roybird, bearwalking works very well on ice skates, too, when there's an 8-year old who's trying to whip you around so he can see you fall.

Oh dear, Katlian, your DH has a broken leg? I'll bet that really cramps his style.

Dparsons, the ice rink is Canyon Ferry Reservoir. It's the first reservoir on the Missouri River (first as in furthest upstream).

I love all the old tool stories. We have a neighbor who installed an antique faucet handle where there's supposed to be a dimmer switch in the living room. He has a golf ball on another one.

Santa Fe, NM

Vices are good to share. l.o.l. I knew CMoxon would catch that! Wild 8 year olds are naturals for 5 Animals Chi gong. Sounds like he might be a bit of a monkey!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yooo Hooo Roybird and Paj, how was lunch? What'cha have? Anything rate high on the IU Scale?

Santa Fe, NM

Lunch is tomorrow. At least I hope so. Today is my teaching day. The mountains are surrounded by black clouds and curtains of falling snow!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ooops good thing I wasn't invited or I'd be sitting at that restaurant all by lonesome.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

We thought the plane ticket might be a bit high for lunch, otherwise you would all have been invited -- heck we probably should have told dParsons and LissaD. In fact, all of you can meet us at El Tesoro in Sambusco at 12:15 pm ( I have to pick up roybird first) where we can all get free parking! We will have rounds of yuca frita for all!

Sorry about mixing up vice and vise. Can't say it will never happen again.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

As duchess mentioned on another thread, if we had spelling and grammar police we wouldn't get to do much chatting! Besides, misspellings turn out to be pretty funny sometimes.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WELL if there's free parking, I'm there for sure! KERPLUNK! (DH drops like a fruit fly)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Forgive my ignorance, but what is 5 animals chi gong? Is that a video game?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I think it's a vice.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I guess it is one of roybird's exercises/moves/dances from tai chi or another discipline of that nature. There are many wonderfully named things that she mentions and does.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.