The Vernal Equinox is the 20th. What does this mean to you?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)
There are a total of 416 votes:

Spring is here! I can finally get outside and garden.
(212 votes, 50%)
Red dot

Spring is supposed to be here, but it hasn't arrived at my house yet.
(114 votes, 27%)
Red dot

Time to mow the lawn.
(21 votes, 5%)
Red dot

They skipped spring at my house. It is summertime hot!
(26 votes, 6%)
Red dot

I'm south of the equator. Fall is arriving at my house.
(7 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Other. Please tell us!
(36 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Spring here is delightful, if short-lived! But, it is not without a few "flies" in the "ointment" - namely mosquitos by the millions, weeds by the ton & pollen by the truckload! But, I'm not complaining - I love Spring! Samantha

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Yipee! Spring is officially here!

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Weather is no respecter of dates here; gardening in a maritime climate without a greenhouse requires patience.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I voted other. It's just another day.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

We got heavy rain and then explosive growth of everything. The sight of regenerated plants coming out of dormancy is the greatest!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I've got to admit that it doesn't mean a whole lot to me. In a way, we've had spring since November and we'll be having spring up into May. We'll have some hot days now and then, but it won't sit in to stay yet. Spring is great, but March 20/21 itself doesn't signify much of anything to me.

Midwest City, OK(Zone 7b)

I voted other. We specifically got married on the First Day of Spring and this is our 20th. So besides being avid plant lovers, spring is special to us, LOL even after 20 years...

Chesapeake, VA

Spring is the change of the seasons in the eternal wheel of life. I feel like I'm in the autumn of my life, but it is nice to see spring happening around me. It's like being in a quiet little eddy in the river of life, but still being able to smile when you see other people whooping and hollering as they go over the little waterfall in their intertubes. Gee - it would be nice to be in good health and in my 20's, and be one of those whooping and hollering - but even if I can't do it myself, it still feels good to cheer on those who ARE in that stage of life. And, all my little seedlings are in the springtime of their little lives...

I get like this every spring....

Even my guinea pig is tied to the seasons of life. He goes for his grooming at the change of the seasons - it is tied to the solstices and equinoxes....it is the only way I can keep track of it. My car maintenance is that way, too...it's the only way I can keep track...of life.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

It means high electric bills due to turning on the air conditioner! :-)

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Keeps tricking us!!!!!!!! Yesterday 74 degrees in the shade,windows open letting the fresh air in,today 45 degrees in the sun and the furnace is running.Give us a little taste and then say no no not yet.........

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy 20th Anniversary merpeg.

Winter Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm putting in new garden beds as fast as I can. I put this one in yesterday. I figure in another month it will be too hot for anything beyond basic maintenance. We rent a home, just outside Orlando, that was built in 1972. I don't think a gardener has ever lived in it. The only landscaping is a row of azaleas across the front of the house. I'm dividing the plants that I have (yes, I bring several with me every time a move), getting cutting from friends, and buying 50% off "distressed" plants from Lowes. I've planted a variety of sunflower seeds along the house and fence. I've put the PVC piping temporarily around the beds so the dogs will have a clue where I don't want them. They, of course, think it is a splendid agility course. Ugh. I love the challenge of turning a "barren" piece of land into a piece of art. But the temperature and humidity are rising! Gotta work fast!!!

Thumbnail by HollyRye
Crestview, FL(Zone 8a)

other than the fact that its my birthday too :) spring is here and soon will be gone.... We rarely get a good spring weather for that long - it always seem to just brush past us for about a week or two then its hot and humid until mid October ...so for me , spring gardening will be almost over and need to have all my summer bulbs planted soon

Brighton, MO(Zone 6a)

I voted other, because I already have a lot of stuff planted, but the lawn hasn't done more than show a little inclination toward a deeper green. I've tilled, built retaining walls, incorporated amendments, and planted asparagus, rhubarb, lettuces, onions, spinach, beets, carrots and radishes.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

We almost always just skip spring and leap right into summer. I need to mow badly, but the recent rains have kept me off the lawnmower. I'm hoping to get to that tomorrow. Work keeps me out of the yard more than I'd like, but I'm loving the longer days, so I can putter around after work.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

It sorta goes from fall straight to spring here in Southern California. I really wouldn't call the past three months 'winter'. I've seen winter before, and this ain't it.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

it's here... little snow remains in some areas of my garden but I have some irises beginging to show !!!!!!!! so good to hear the birds for the first time today! sooooo goood! happy spring everyone!!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's about The Science of Spring:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090319/sc_livescience/thescienceofspring

Happy Spring Day! :)

Alfred Station, NY(Zone 5b)

Most of the ground is still covered with at least a foot to 18 inches of snow, more in some places. Next to the house on the south and west side the snow has melted away and some daffodils are putting up tentative leaves an inch or so above the ground. Anywhere we used the snowblower to make paths the snow is gone and melts back a little more each day at the edges.

I saw a robin yesterday. The mourning doves have been back for a few weeks. Goldfinches are just starting to molt into summer color.

We'll be in the 40's for the next week or so but it is supposed to be mainly clear, so it will feel warmer in the sun. Hurray for sun!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Yesterday I was working on cleaning up the fall debris in 64 degrees and sunshine...This morning, it was 25 degrees at 8 am and is just now 29 degrees...
The first day of Spring brought me frigid temps, and my new rosebushes back in the garage again...Grrrrrr!!!

Palmer, AK(Zone 2a)

I have 5 below zero F this morning.

The "F" stands for Fahrenheit. Really. LOL

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Too funny ice_worm!

Brownsburg Chatham, QC(Zone 4b)

Happy Spring Everyone! Beautiful sunshine reflecting off heaps of snow and 0 degrees. However Robins and Redwings have arrived and one group of geese circling (looking for open water I suspect - poor things)

Indoor gardening will have to continue for a little longer... potting up cannas and dahlias with great anticipation...

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

The first official day of spring today and this morning we had an inch of snow. It's all melted away now and I just saw our first robin of the year!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, I have had such a First Day of Spring....... snow peas germinating, dill germinating, Iris reticulata "Harmony" two are blooming and many others showing color, plus I planted out kale seedlings and ate a teensy salad of the ones that did not fit. Planted out leaf lettuce also.......

barefoot on the deck doing this. Sun hot enough I am thinking about shade cloth real soon! Weekend is going to be cooler and rainy and it is still hitting low 30s upper 20s at night.......

The volunteer veggie vine I did not know what it was but allowed to grow in my kitchen window for some green, is showing nice yellow flowers today and no, they were not there yesterday. I reckon it is a pumpkin, LOL! If it can hang on for another few weeks I will try to move it outside, though it is really entangled with the venetian blinds at this stage..... tee hee.

Chesapeake, VA

Kylaluaz, you're a plant person and you live in a town called Weed?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey, a weed is a plant!!!!! LOL!

Yes, that is the name of the town here, I get a kick out of it. ;-) I was actually interviewed on video in the grocery store parking lot last week by a couple of kids on a road trip who wanted to ask me why the town is named Weed. (They were just making a fun video for their buds back home I believe.) I told them, well, there was this guy named Weed who founded an industry here, but as a gardener, I get a lot of laughs out of living in a place called Weed.

They liked that. tee hee.

Kyla

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

My first daffodil of the season opened yesterday, but when I got up this morning, everything was covered in frost. I think actual spring, is still a ways off.

Thumbnail by Jamesk
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

I have to say spring is officially here because we cut the grass for the first time yesterday. Planted winter rye over top of the zoysia to keep it green until the zoysia wakes up next month. After all the rain we got last weekend, the grass took off!! Dogwood blossoms are about ready to open and should be in full bloom in a couple of weeks. Weather is still see sawing back and forth. Most nights are above freezing and the daytime highs are averaging upper 50's to 60's for the most part. In a couple of months it will be sunny, hot and humid!! LOL

Florence, MS(Zone 7b)

I LOVE seeing the changes of the seasons, as slight as they might be in Jackson Mississippi.

I was in Peace Corps Forestry in Ecuador, South America, right on the equator, in 1982-1985. After my family and freinds, the thing I missed most was the changes of the seasons.

Ecuador has two seasons, the dry summer and the wet winter. Thanks to El Nino, in 1984 we got 3 METERS, yes meters, of rain. One grammar school got washed away in a river; luckily it was on a Saturday, classes were held the Friday before. But despite the record-setting rainfall that year the sameness of the year, day-in and day-out, was depressing.

I hosted some Mexican foresters in Mississippi when I was with the Forest Service in Spring of 1998. They couldn't believe the changes of the trees during leaf-out that spring. After seeing their amazement at what I took for granted, I never look at the miracle without amazement now. The changes of the seasons is fascinating!

Susan

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OK this is getting REALLY OLD! My robins just arrived on Friday and they're already packing to return south. DRAT! Another 4 inches and still coming down.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Geez, Dahlia, that's quite a snowcap your birdhouse is wearing! I've been avoiding the weather forecast, as last time I peeked it said we would have a chance of snow accumulation again next weekend. I sure hope they're wrong!

Go do a snowdance. You know you'll feel better!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.