Name that Ladybug dalily!

Fredericksburg, VA

Gator Sandwich

Fredericksburg, VA

Juggling Chain Saws

Fredericksburg, VA

Winnie's Bloomers

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

OK. The contest is officially closed. Thanks so everyone for your entries. I'll post the winner by 5 pm tomorrow.

You guys are the best!

Leslie

Dexter, ME

Thanks leslie this was fun, it helps when you can not get outside to plant,Or rake etc...

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Did anyone count to see how many names we got?

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

by george no way lol
who would be *that* obsessed (!?)

I'll eat my hat if Trouble doesn't do it LOL
;)

actually I would do it myself, but I'm digging onions out of my gardens. I HATE onions. Those little clumps of 'wild' onions that sprout up everywhere every year despite carefully digging them out.......... sigh....

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

So how many, Trouble?

Rockport, ME(Zone 5b)

Must...stop...thinking of more...

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

CROSS-EYED GIRLS CAN'T WALK MUCH LESS COUNT!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

ok, I tried not to..

22 inch rimz

Dexter, ME

I got 700 half way down and started over several tx then gave up

I think the only way to count accurately would be to print off the thread and them mark them off on paper as you counted. There are just too many ...dizzy lol

New Waverly, TX(Zone 8b)

Can we just say "Enough"?

There's a lot of good choices to be confusing!

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

I don't know how someone can choose just one name out of all those choices...what a job!!!

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Dan has a job ahead of himself for sure.

Dexter, ME

Yes he does.They where alot of great names here

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

I sa some awesome names sbmitted, these contest are great fun. Good luck to all.
And thanks to Leslie and Dan for adding excitement to our garden dreams!

Dexter, ME

I second that trouble

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

OK you guys. I've been sweating over this all night and I'm just about to go out to the nursery to see what Dan thinks. I'll let you know as soon as he decides.

LOL He sent me an e-mail last night that said: "Why did we do this? I'm 1/4 of the way through and I'm numb." It is a very hard decision. I narrowed my fav's down to 14 and that was almost impossible. He probably has a whole different set.

Dexter, ME

I was thinking of more names this morning -was you too trouble?
It will be a very hard decision, for him I am sure.I saw I alot i liked too,This naming a daylily is a very great Idea.

New Waverly, TX(Zone 8b)

Maybe he can drop the names in a hat and draw one out! He has a lot to choose from, for sure.

Oh! The anticipation! I have Too much work to do, so I can't sit here and wait! haha -I have to add a new bed!

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ouh-La-La!

LOL Add a new bed....

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Message from Dan Hansen:

Thanks for all suggestions. It took me hours to go through them all. What I didn't tell you about the flower to be named is it is large. It is 7 inches about half the time, so anything indicating small would not be suitable, like fairy. Being bold with dark colors eliminates feminine names. Some near trade marks or names routinely used by a hybridizer, or too close to a name already used eliminated others. I don't want to confuse anyone. I don't normally go for negative, dark or too nasty. It is the old story: "I don't know what to call it but when I hear the right name I'll know it."

I choose three names but there are four winners. For the plum/peach-pink, FRILLY LILY was chosen. Gardenglory nominated it, but FrillyLily is called that, so they both get a piece! Also, two other names went well with other daylilies to be introduced in 2010 - FASHION STATEMENT and everyone's fav, SQUIRREL BEATER. If Taj12 and Flowersrthebest agree for their names to be used, they will each receive a piece of "their" flower.

When I am naming daylilies I try to fit the flower to a name. FRILLY LILIY draws your attention to the wide, fancy edge. Good fit. FASHION STATEMENT is a great name but I matched it to a flower with sculpting (pleats) and large size. Do you agree it's a better fit? SQUIRREL BEATER, unique and strangely attractive. Enough said.

I'll send these in the fall if you can take delivery then, or next spring if you can't. I'd like these to be blooming in your garden next year. Let me know when and where.

Thanks again. Peace. dan

Introducing FRILLY LILY!

Thumbnail by LaLambchop
Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Introducing: FASHION STATEMENT!

Thumbnail by LaLambchop
Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Introducing: SQUIRREL BEATER

Thumbnail by LaLambchop
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Wonderful names!! Congrats everyone!!!!!!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Bursting...Way more for Frilly than me. Just very exciting.

Ooo I like the Fashion Statement! Very Nice!!

OOOOH!

I'm so excited to have a namesake ;)
!!!

Thank you so much for the contest.
and now maybe I can sleep tonight lol

Fredericksburg, VA

CONGRATS TO ALL!!!!!!

Dexter, ME

Hi All I logged in to see if there was any news,and I guess maybe.
Congrats to the winners,and they fit the flowers.I am so very excited I won and it does fit the daylily,My DH picked it.
I guess I need to listen more to his idea's.Have a wonderful day all of you.we have some nice temps here and snow is melting.First day of spring is Friday.Yahooooo

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Good going all and CONGRATS!
Was great fun!

Tomah, WI

Congratulations to all the winners! Frilly Lily is a great choice! Beautiful daylilies Dan!

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

I didn't say my own congrats before. You all put so much into this. I wish everyone could have won. It was a really hard decision. So hard, in fact, that I don't know if Dan will ever do in again, LOL, but I will!!! Good work everybody.

Leslie

edited to add: I guess Taj doesn't even know yet.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2009 5:01 PM

Dexter, ME

thank you Leslie for doing this contest

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I can't speak personally for Flowersthebest, but it makes this long Maine winter go by a little smoother. I'm usually more of a lurker but even I give it a try when I see these little naming contest. ^_^

New Waverly, TX(Zone 8b)

This was a lot of fun! Congrats to all the winners!

Let's do it again! Soon!

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

What wonderful names!!! And beautiful flowers.
Congrats to the winners...yayyy!!

Judy

Dexter, ME

Pixie you are right,so right

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.