Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Daylilies: Name that Ladybug dalily!, 1 by LaLambchop

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LaLambchop

In reply to: Name that Ladybug dalily!

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Name that Ladybug dalily!
LaLambchop wrote:
Message from Dan Hansen:

Thanks for all suggestions. It took me hours to go through them all. What I didn't tell you about the flower to be named is it is large. It is 7 inches about half the time, so anything indicating small would not be suitable, like fairy. Being bold with dark colors eliminates feminine names. Some near trade marks or names routinely used by a hybridizer, or too close to a name already used eliminated others. I don't want to confuse anyone. I don't normally go for negative, dark or too nasty. It is the old story: "I don't know what to call it but when I hear the right name I'll know it."

I choose three names but there are four winners. For the plum/peach-pink, FRILLY LILY was chosen. Gardenglory nominated it, but FrillyLily is called that, so they both get a piece! Also, two other names went well with other daylilies to be introduced in 2010 - FASHION STATEMENT and everyone's fav, SQUIRREL BEATER. If Taj12 and Flowersrthebest agree for their names to be used, they will each receive a piece of "their" flower.

When I am naming daylilies I try to fit the flower to a name. FRILLY LILIY draws your attention to the wide, fancy edge. Good fit. FASHION STATEMENT is a great name but I matched it to a flower with sculpting (pleats) and large size. Do you agree it's a better fit? SQUIRREL BEATER, unique and strangely attractive. Enough said.

I'll send these in the fall if you can take delivery then, or next spring if you can't. I'd like these to be blooming in your garden next year. Let me know when and where.

Thanks again. Peace. dan

Introducing FRILLY LILY!