Seeds, Plugs and Winter Sowing

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--Is the W-Sweet seedling I gave you still alive?
My shrub is now in the process of dropping all the blooms and, I am sure, starting the baby seed pods-to-be....all the 100's of them x at least 4-5 seeds in each----- Mamma Mia!!!!
NO leaves on it yet--so don't worry about the seedling I gave you. I am sure it is just as deciduous as the Mama bush....soon.....

Did you get my D-mail re shopping?????

Holly--
Your seedling Datura might just be the white, Jimsonweed "wild one".....
Nothing to rave about--except the fragrance....so I hear....and it WILL come back every year and it WILL sprawl all over the place.....

Holly--Hey! Love and passion!!! What else does one need to sustain a marriage???
All else is secondary......The two things I missed the most in mine......AND...communication.....No love! NO passion! No communication and NO-- you know what.....:o(

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My wintersweet seeding is hanging out by the veg garden. We shall see. and I'll Dmail, sorry, got busy...

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Holly Thanks for the picture of the Dat. The leaves sure look like the ones on my seedlings, which by the way need potted up.
I'll be sowing more seeds today, I have some seeds started that I sowed very thinly and now realize that the germination rate is poor either due to old seeds or just the nature of the plant.
I did observe that dahlia seeds need to be fresh, I got 2 to germinate from left over seed from last year but anything older then that was a total failure, I bought new seed at the store and they germinated in a few days.
I have one seed, can't remember the name right now, but I planted a 6 pack cell of them, they are very tiny seed so I put a nice pinch of seed in each cell, one cell came up pretty quick then another, 2 cells nothing, I thought maybe I missed putting seeds in them and just the other day, weeks later, they started sprouting, never seen this happen before. Every thing was the same, soil, watering, light, very strange.

Here is another seed from the Round Robin seed swap. It was labled Celosia "wine" but I don't know if it is the plume or cockcomb form, but from the stem color there is no mistaking the color.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Maybe the cultivar is in Plantfiles
I just planted zinnia and swiss chard seeds. Been having poor luck planting chard outside so I'll try starting inside again.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

What a fun thread! LadyG, I'm glad you're having fun growing out a basil assortment... I think I see my favorite Italian basil in the lower right of the photo?

I sowed basil just a few days ago, but I've got my tomatoes and peppers potted up, plus a couple trays of flowers I started earlier (2 trays of Torenia, 1 of geraniums & petunias). I got behind due to being away, but I've still managed to fill 3 light shelves already... the basil will fill a 4th, and then I'll move to the next shelf unit to start some morning glories and other vines. I've got 6 shelves, room for 24 flats, and I have a couple more lights I can set up if need be. I don't think I'll manage to fill them this year, but you never know. LOL

I didn't manage to start any alyssum or lobelia this year, can't believe it... they make such great fillers. Maybe it's not too late for the alyssum... need to find my seed pack!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

HEY!!!!

SPECIALS this weekend at the Home Depot!!!! NOW through April 5th (Sunday!).....

ALL 4" annuals--and this includes pansies--3/$1....
It also includes other cold-tolerant annuals such as Petunias, Alyssum, Snapdragon, etc.....

I assume it s ALL the HD's in this area! They could nor possibly fragment different stores in different locations......

I will start a new Post on this just so everyone will notice it!!! GREAT deals!!!!

Jill, you should recognize them, they are from your seed stash.

Here is a picture I took yesterday, they sure are growing! I just had to rub a few leaves and take it that wonderful scent

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ooh, you are just a few days away from being able to pinch their tops and have a wonderful salad or pasta dish!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Looks like everyone is doing pretty good with their seedlings. I just got back from a week at the beach and my DIL did a good job taking care of the seedlings while I was away. Of course that doesn't mean that I will keep them alive till the swap. LOL
LadyG, You were right I do have several different types of Coleus.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Holly, I'd keep an eye on the 8th one from the bottom second in from the left. It caught my eye as maybe something different, might be wrong, but hey! it's fun.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, they're so cute when they start getting their colored leaves!

I just got blooms on my 'Ramblin Burgundy Chrome' petunias! Hmm, might end up up-potting the petunias if I have enough shelf space...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My petunias, don't look so good, think I may lose them all.
My Verbenia is looking great, though.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

what kind of verbena did you get? I'm a huge fan of 'Homestead Purple' but it's too tender to overwinter here it seems...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No idea, they were part of the plugs I got grom my Greenshouse Co-op. Not even sure what color just marked mixed verbena.
Here are the pepper seeds I got from you Critter.
I think those are the Impatiens in the background they are doing very well, too.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2009 2:31 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OK! I wanted to jump in and show my measly seedlings as well....Most of them don't even have the true leaves yet.

This is my second seeding of all the Tomatoes--as I did not check the first planting until too late--and they had all sprouted under the plastic and gotten too leggy for my taste.
I know....I know......

Pulled them all up and chucked them!
Re-seeded on march 13--so now they look like this.

Keeping a small oscillating fan going most of the day.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, Your tomatoes look great. I am wondering if it is getting too late to start more plants and if I do Where O Where will I put them. LOL
I have some things outside in milk jugs and am thinking of putting more seeds out. Do you think it's too late to start more Daturas? Oh I haven't started the MG's yet either.
These are basil trays each one has a different kind. I'll have to separate them out soon.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Just lost all my next post!!!! I clicked on Preview, and something went "BLINK"--and it is not there! Maybe it was your above post, Holly, arriving at the very same moment????

Start again-----

I have 2 other trays of seeds growing...only one of them is worth showing you....
It is an assortment of things....my way to have just a little bit of many new things I have received in trades or have just been sent to me...

--The taller plants are: Red Nasturtiums, Cosmos "seashells", and some pink 4's.
--The big-leaved thing at top right is a Moon Vine. another one just peaking out...
--Below that is some Dill--WHY do I bother???? I can buy a lg. bouquet of it at my
local grocery store for $1.49 ("Weis")
--Thr pinkish, wider leaves below the dill is some Pink 4's....
--The cup on the bottom right is a sprouted Butterfly Weed. YEAH!
--Cell pack top left is all pink Zinnias
--Below them, next to the tall plants, is some Persian Coneflowers.
--bottom center is Brent's perennial Salvia (self-gathered seed)....

The third flat is too minute to share!

This message was edited Apr 6, 2009 2:56 PM

This message was edited Apr 6, 2009 2:59 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Nice seedlings, Gita. there's an interesting couple of marijuana leafed looking things there. What are you calling pink 4's- I don't recognize that nickname.
I have lots of Fireworks pepper seedlings.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

My "weed"looking things are "Cardinal Climbers"--they have beautiful, leaves--pointed clusters....Will look for a picture....
One of the ferny-looking things is a Cosmos.....

The 3 that look slightly rosy--are Rose 4 O'Clocks..... (pink 4's).....NOT a nickname!
First time for most of these....that is why I am only planting a few....Wanna see what they look like.
If they are gorgeous--I will have seeds to share!

I am so happy that my 2yr. old seeds from Brent's Salvia (got it from hart's Swap) germinated so easily. I also have a lot of Angelonias seeded--but they are so tiny yet!
Did it last year--and they all grew well in my beds.

Have more Daturas seeded than I can use...plan to have some of those to share as well--besides giving many away at work...I "ONLY" have about 1000's of seeds of each color!

Mad today! it one of my days off--and it has been raining all day!!!!
I tell you--it is a conspiracy from the nature gods!!!!

Happy diggin'! Gita

Here you can see the foliage on the cardinal Climber....

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Oh, yeah, even tho I have never grown cardinal climber, as soon as you said that I remembered those leaves. Very pretty. Thanks for locating the picture.
I hope the Rose four oclocks turn out special. Sounds like they 'should' be a softer pink than the bright usual ones?

Up date on Holly's Datura seeds I am growning

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Some of my plugs are doing great, I will have extra to share at the swap, if I don't drop the ball now. LOL
I will say it was a bit depressing going to Lowes and HD last week. Me comparing my seedlings to their plants.

ladyg is weeks farther along than I am on Datura. Hope to catch up! I also have a bunch of FIreworks ornamental peppers and something weird called Strawberry spinach

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Me too, sally--
Mine have yet to grow "real" leaves....Everything seems to be slower this year! WHY?

Last year i seeded everything on March 1st--and my Tomatoes were 10" tall by the time I planted them. So this year--I waited an extra 2 weeks......Nor--only a few things are big enough to transplant....Bummer!
It will, surely, be mid-May before I can plant them outside.

I should have remembered that the Daturas take their sweet time to germinate.

Question: Do you all fertilize the new seedlings with anything special? I mean--the small seedlings???

Gita

I have given them a dose (go cover doc's ears) of Miracle Gro granular at houseplant strength They seemed to like it or at least didn't burn any.
my daturas germ'ed over weeks--first I thought I'd only have just enough but then I think they all made it!
Don't know what YOU'RE doing up this late. I just sent DS on a school bus trip ovenight to NC. I can't help but be distracted. But relieved that Easter and the trip prep is all over. and finally planted my taters and onion sets.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I give everything except tomato seedlings an occasional splash of miracle gro, at about 1/4 strength.

Sally, if you've got an extra little pot, I'd love to try your strawberry spinach... traded for some seeds one year, and they arrived all stuck to scotch tape on the seed "packet" & didn't germinate. Or see if you can save seeds from it, and we'll all try this cutie-weirdo next year! ;-)

I just transplanted a couple seed trays of basil, ended up with 3 flats... one more container to go, but germination is sparse, so I probably won't have more than another flat if that to go. I plant basil all over the place, lots of different kinds, and I never have much trouble finding homes for extras, so I just pot up everything that germinates (clump transplanting of course, or I'd be overrun).

Hope everybody had a splendid Easter!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My yellow Dats pretty much all germinated at the same time but only a few of my double purple have come up wonder if more will later? My Coleus sure look good and LadyG was right there are a lot of different types in there. Some are pretty interesting looking. I still haven't started any of my MG seeds and now my Co-op plants are coming I just don't know where I will put them all. I have quite a few out in the garage and they seem to be doing pretty good but I don't have much in the way of space under the lights any more. Hopefully next year I can get another set of shelves and lights set up. The Alyssum, Coleus, Helichrysum, Impatiens, Lobelia, Marigolds, Mexican Heather and Verbena plugs have all done well. I lost almost all of the Bacopa and Petunias. The Pansies were so large that I planted them out in the yard almost immediately and they are looking great. All in all I was very pleased with my plugs and will have some to share at the swap. It's about time for me to put up a swap list.
You can see some of my OSP roots in the pic, too. I haven't done very well this year with them but should have a few extra to share at the swap as well.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are the begonia plugs I got from the hobby greenhouse chapter co-op this year.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

These were grown with winter sowing but the sun bleached the ink that I used to put the names on them so I don't know what they are. All I know is the leaves are "hairy." The larger one looks like some sort of Malva.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 12:22 PM

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Phlomis russeliana. Sure glad the label didn't fade out too much. I am babying these like crazy because I never had Phlomis before.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I started my tomatoes on 4/10, a little late.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer- I see onions in the pot with ?malva
If you're late, I'm later on tomatos--better get them done!
Finally see some activity from "Gita's red poppy" seeds out in the garden. Oh, yeah also have Nicotiana Only the Lonely seedlings.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, those are Garlic chives. You were close (Lol). Gita, do these look familar?

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Buttoneer, Your Begonias look great.
Thanks for the tip on fertilizing my seedlings.
Either I'm running late or just think I am. Just not enough space for everything I want to start. I finally sowed my 4:00's to day and I haven't started the MG yet. I did start some things outside in jugs a couple of weeks ago but nothing much showing. Hope that just because of the colder weather we are having.

Big rain tomorrow?? I am concerned that my jugs will drown. They are pretty wet, sitting on a concrete wall by the basement steps, up against the railing. Maybe I'll prop them on something to make sure the drain holes can drain.
Holly- I am also busting at the seams with pots here and there. Can't wait till some'body' can move out!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, When they move out make them take their stuff. LOL
Half my garage is still full of Josh's stuff and I don't even want to talk about the barn. I told both Josh and Jamie that they have to take the things that are outside before the swap. If it's sitting outside at my house it can sit outside at theirs. LOL
Ric "still" has my laundry room torn up, no washer and my empty down stairs bedroom is full of things from the laundry room. Oh well everything at my house has always been a work in progress, don't see that changing anytime soon. LOL

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Went a little overboard with vine seeds this year

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

The kitchen counter is my makeshift "nursery" for both seedlings and tropicals ^_^

Edited to add: Critter, the really tall ones are the Scarlet Runner Beans you gave me, sprouted like little champs

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 7:07 PM

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I can't wait for warmer weather!

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.