iris swap.TB enter name to be a part of...

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

June is good! Thanks for hosting this swap, it should be fun.

Santa Ynez, CA

that is Ballet Performance, beauty isn't it....

Santa Ynez, CA

sure mittsy, I think it will be fun, who doesn't like a surprise??? this is Kind word, I may have posted it before, sorry for a repeat...

Thumbnail by makj
Marshall, TX

Count me in on the swap. Great iris season here in East Texas and I have extra of lots of great ones.

Thumbnail by karmafarms
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

My iris are just now showing a bud leaf....can't wait. Love my iris.
June sounds like a great time. Here where the ground heaves up and down during the winter, I lose more to planting in the fall. Never lost one planted in the spring or summer.

What beautiful pics.

Santa Ynez, CA

sounds good, glad to have you in........ Hookem horns...

Thumbnail by makj

I would love to join in. I have a lot of iris named and unnamed. Is this for TB's only? I have minatures, SIBS, and rock garden too.

Kathy

Santa Ynez, CA

this swap is for TB's not that people don't love SBD etc.... but for this one lets just do TB's and they need to be named varieties, great to have you in on this.....

Great I'm in. How big do the rhizomes need to be ? I assume there would be no limit on size ?

Santa Ynez, CA

well size should be a nice looking rhizome, I always try to give a rhizome that I myself would like to get.....nothing small....

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

our rhizomes here in the east don't grow as big as the ones over on the west coast. thumb size is big for most varieties here!

Santa Ynez, CA

if you think they are good, and will grow....then that is good...

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't know why the eastern rhizomes are smaller, but the ones I have grown here do just fine.

I'm in zone 6 , some of the rhizomes do get pretty big. No problem growing them large. Maybe it depends on the cultivar?

Santa Ynez, CA

could be, I sent some rhizomes last year to someone in PA and they were amazed at how HUGE the rhizomes were, I thought they were standard size as far as I was concerned....:)

June 1st is around the corner.....bumping

Tranquillity, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi, I'm Terry from Central Calif.
I just joined and I should have got the longer membership.....lol
I like it already.
But count me in. Just send me the rules on how this is going to work.
The picture is my new mound #1. Now to start working on mound #2.
I have that dreaded Iris Virus. I hear its terminal.

Terry

Thumbnail by earthspinner
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Terry,
it is terminal,luckily it all ends good!

Welcome, Terry, we're all addicted. Glad to be an enabler.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i want in but where do i go for instructions because i've never done this before. thanks and what a great idea. barb

Santa Ynez, CA

welcome new comers, glad to have you, and yes June is around the corner and the heat is here!!!!!
well for instructions, it is really easy and that is the way I like it......all you have to do is say you want in and you are in and as far as what to do, well dig out 4 of your beautiful iris rhizomes, label them and I will be send everyone their swap partner soon, send them your iris and someone will be sending you theirs, now doesn't that sound good, as I said send iris you yourself would want.....I think we all know what we are looking at overall......it will be a surprise, who knows you might end up with something fantastic!!!!!! any questions please ask me......

Thumbnail by makj

My best rhizomes will never look as good as those from the west coast. Ours are vigorous growers but never get to be the huge size that you are familiar with. Perhaps we should try to keep zones in mind when selecting partners. I wouldn't want anyone disappointed with my best, thinking I sent inferior rhizomes. This is Jesse's Song, a favorite of mine and one of the four I'll be sharing.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow, mitsy, those are beautiful iris. I personally see no reason to prefer the larger rhizomes over the smaller ones as long as both are healthy. As far as I can tell, both work equally well for me here in the Rocky Mt. area which isn't much like either the East or the West coasts. I am trying out irises from Rocky Mt. growers to see if they work better for me, but so far haven't been able to reach much in the way of conclusions because I only have a few from Rocky Mt. hybridizers.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

mittsy, same here. some of mine get big but some years they don't. i guess it depends on the rain. don't worry about size. they all grow.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm not picky about size--some of the smallest rhizomes I purchased bloomed the first season after they were planted while the big guys lazed about for another season before giving me a flower:lol:

I'd be happy to be paired with an east coaster w/ smaller rhizomes--sometimes smaller packages pack a big punch;)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I, too, am willing to be paired with anyone makj chooses -- in fact, even by lots if she prefers.

Santa Ynez, CA

i think we all know smaller iris can bloom and grow just as nicely as larger ones, I am glad everyone agrees we this idea, also while I am thinking about it, does everyone agree with my thought here......I will draw names, then would it make be ok with everyone if I send them a Dmail with the person they are to send to..... and have everyone send me their addresses and i will pass them on according to the person whom they are to mail iris to?????? does this sound ok with everyone???? or is this ramble.....

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i got it i think.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It is clear to me and sounds okay, and I do thank you for taking this on.

Santa Ynez, CA

sorry if I made it more confusing than anything, I can't think and type without babbling.....:)

Santa Ynez, CA

I don't mind if everyone ends up happy, at least I hope that happens.....

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You didn't make it confusing and you can be sure that most people will end up happy, but not everyone.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I'd like to be paired with an eastern grower. I have many, check out my "flowered 2009" list in my journal to see what you might get if I get your name.

Roni

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am familiar with your iris holdings -- which are awesome. Why do you want to be connected to an east coast gardener?
Here is a question for makj. Do we give to a different person than we receive from? I would think we would.

Sounds good to me. Easy to please, just tell me the rules and what I am suppose to do and I will try to do it....love swapping.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I guess because I feel like I'm short changing the california and northwestern growers who have to take so many years to wait for my rhizomes to get big enough to bloom, but I'm open to all.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Are you sure they have to wait longer than usual for your rhizomes to bloom? Those of in the Rockies don't find East Coast rhizomes take longer to bloom. I ordered quite a few from Tennessee this past year and all are looking good and some are even blooming. It is my guess that yours would behave as well. Do you have info to the contrary?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

No, just theory as the rhizomes I get from the west coast are HUGE. If we don't get each other in the swap, we may have to work something out privately -- I have Awake and Raspberry Blush which are on your want list... ;-)

Roni

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I feel certain we could work something out! But do we get to trade with each other, or do we send iris to someone and someone else to send iris to us? I think this part isn't clear yet. I don' t have a preference for west coast or east coast, no matter what the comparative size of the rhizomes is. Iris from both coasts perform well for me -- size has nothing to do with it.

Drawing names is fine with me. I mailed a box yesterday and it was only 20 cents more for priority. So the postage will be about the same no matter where we send.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.