Does anyone have a moon garden?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Penne,

That's where I got it. Once you order the three, just watch for offsets and move them. It's not invasive, and you can easily see the seedlings because they are very distinctive and quite cute. I've turned three plants into about 20 and use them to edge beds.

Cool that you got it at half price!

Donna

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Donna,

I'm already ahead of the game - I ordered 6.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Our pom pom viburnum (Eastern snowball) is just about finished and the climbing hydrangea is just starting to bloom :)

Snowflake sounds nice, I've never tried that one

Thumbnail by wind
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

At that price, I'd do it too! Thanks for alerting me to the sale - I picked up some goodies.

And that Pom Pom is gorgeous!

Donna

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

ugh...I ordered, too...pinched my pocketbook, lol...

I kept adding and adding, lol...
-T

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I love this thread. I didn't know there was a camelia hardy in my zone

Camellia - (Camellia japonica 'Alba Plena') - Zones 5-10

Has anyone grown it?

You could also grow white clematis, perhaps on a trellis. I am new to clematis, so I am not sure of the best scented cultivar.

There is also a white hyssop, I forget the cultivar. And white flowered lavender. And, of course, white lilacs. White peonies. Green and white leaved mint. Fragrant hostas (tried 2 this year, will see how fragrant they are.)

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I got my snowflake nepeta from Bluestone, but I didn't plant any in the moon garden. I realized that I needed more height. I already have alot of the trailing euonymous in this area.

Don't worry, I found a nice new home for them. I only wish that I had bought more.

With all the trouble that I have been having with rabbits this year, I should have planted datura.

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

There is a white salvia, also, although I don't know if it's fragrant. I'd had mine about 3 years, but this year it either didn't come back, or I mistook it for a weed.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/72589/

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Well, here is my update, and it is not a pretty picture. I had envisoned a pretty flowering garden to look at right outside my door. Instead I have a rabbit feast. They have eaten all the lilies before they bloomed, the liatris, the buds from my baby swan coneflowers, and in general made a mess. I have never had rabbits eat my lilies in the front of the house, but I guess the backyard is a totally different subject. I am so disappointed.

Because this garden is so visible, I couldn't leave it a mess of half eaten plants. Instead, I have transplanted yellow coreopsis (grows like a weed here), added more ornamental grass, and some salvia. My foxglove and astilbe are fine but I don't have flowers now. The astilbe is growing quickly, but they were small seedlings that I purchased. The foxglove I started from seed, and has really been growing, but I don't think that they bloom until the end of summer.

I have a new rabbit "deterrent" spray that I am trying. It's a strong cinammon oil spray that is supposed to last 30 days. I figure that I will spray again in two week, just in case.

This is the only lily out of fify that "bloomed". All the others had their buds and leaves chewed off.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2009 11:04 AM

Thumbnail by pennefeather
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

From afar, it doesn't look too bad, but up close, you can see the damage. For some reason, they are ignoring the shasta daisies.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I just added the gazing ball yesterday, and this morning I found it was knocked over by someone - wonder which four paw varmit?

You can see more chewed stems on the left.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Sorry about the rabbits. Daisies and mums are "stinky" to rabbits too so they won't bother them. They also won't eat lantana and I have several white ones.

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I've had rabbits that didn't find the lilies until they were blooming and pretty tall, and simply ate off all of the leaves. They were pretty weird looking. I haven't had any trouble with them for a couple of yearsw.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Penne, I don't know if you want to do this, but what I do is throw Milorganite on the lily and tulip beds. The nitrogen level is so low it won't hurt them. I also started throwing it on a low growing roses they chewed every year and, for the first time since I put it in five years ago, no chewing.

We have rabbits that used to decimate everything, but between Bonide Deer and Rabbit Repellent (thiram) upon emergence and tossing around milorganite, which has such a low nitrogen level that it doesn't burn.

Disgusting creatures.

Donna

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I'm thinking rabbit stew.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have neighbors that FEED them. Can you imagine?

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Donna, they must be growing cactus.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

If you can believe it, they grow hybrid tea roses, and complain every year that they don't make it through the winter. DUH!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

The rabbits naturally eat cactus too. They are keeping my spineless one pruned up pretty much to where it grows tall to avoid them. Cactus are full of water and they love that it seems. I have found that they won't eat Bird of Paradise, sages or lantana. They don't nibble on my catmint in a pot either.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Cactuspatch - I never would have believed it.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I guess I could go shoot some pix of the damage they do to the bottom of the cactus if you want. I don't usually take pix of that but this one looked like a heart shape spot that they ate out and I couldn't resist snapping it. LOL! Actually it is so tiny it was probably a field mouse that did this. Rabbits will eat a whole pad.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2009 9:32 AM

This message was edited Jun 17, 2009 9:52 AM

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

i currently have a gopher decimating my moongarden. pests!!!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Plenty of rabbits here too, but the critter who really frosts my cookie is a dang groundhog, because he pulls up entire plants.

Cactuspatch, please re-post that remarkable photo on this thread (with heart shapes) when you get a chance... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/722359/#new :-)

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Although my moon garden isn't what I was expecting, it actually looks pretty good now. I've gotten over the fact that all my lillies were chewed, and I actually have one or two liatrises that the rabbits missed. The coneflowers actually have one flowers - no thanks to the rabbits, and the leaves are full and healthy. I'm hoping that some more buds are able to open before the rabbits rediscover them.

I added some tutti frutti salvia, which looks good, and gives the garden some height, and is rabbit resistant.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

The shasta daisies look good. I just sowed some more seeds this morning so that I can plenty next year - I don't think that they will have enough time to bloom this year.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

The ornamental grass is coming along. I particularly love the varigated miscanthus because of the white stripes. I also have a green miscanthus, and karl forster.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I get a couple of hours of direct sun here in the afternoon, otherwise it is filtered or shade, so that limits what I can grow.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Did you direct sow the Shasta Daisies or start them inside? Dang those darned rabbits!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

It is starting to have that full look that I like. This is bubble gum salvia that I grew from seed - another rabbit resistant plant.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Lynn, I started the shastas inside. I am also starting some columbine today. I have never grown columbine before.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I also have a lot of foxglove, but none of them have bloomed yet. I am really looking forward to seeing these. I started them from seed as well.

This is the only foxglove so far that looks like it is going to have a bloom. I guess the others are a few days/weeks/months behind.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I think that I have a tomato plant growing in here as well. It must have been part of the compost!

Another view

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Do you want some columbine seed? I gathered some off my plants last week.
Will you set out your daisies this fall or wait until spring?

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Here is the view from my backdoor. Still a work in progress.

Edmond, OK(Zone 7a)

i love this thread and everything you all have shared - thank you!! i want to plan a moon garden. i love sitting outside in the evenings - it's too hot to sit out during the day here. :-)

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Lynn,

I am going to set the daisies out this year. Shastas do bloom the first year, but I should have some really nice size plants next year. These are shasta knights. I want to get some taller shatas as well. I didn't know until this year that they were so easy to start.

Thank you for your kind offer on the columbine seeds. I don't really know a lot about them since I have never grown them. In fact, I just heard about them this spring! I would love to have some more seed, particularly if it is a white or pastel. I sowed McKana giants and rocky mountain blue columbines this morning.

This picture is another salvia, eunomynous, and some yarrow that I started this spring. I will probably have to move the yarrow next year since it needs full sun.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I think my columbines were either blue or purple. Can't remember!!! These were from plants I have transplanted a couple of times from moving. Original plants were transplants given to me around 1977. So now they get to move across the country! I will look to see if I have any seeds on the Nora Barlow.

I also have some seeds from my Guardian Blue Early Delphinium. Would you like some of them, too?

Thumbnail by LynnPhillips
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Update time. Some of my baby swan coneflowers have survived the rabbits, and are beginning to bloom. I would say a little over half of them have been eaten down to the ground.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

The shastas have been the best white flowers here because they continue to bloom, and the rabbits just ignore them.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

The tutti fruitti agastache is easily the most popular flower with the butterflies. I often see a couple on it at a time. The hummingbirds like this flower as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.