Does anyone have a moon garden?

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

My foxglove is finally beginning to bloom. I'm so excited. I started these from seed this spring.

Thumbnail by pennefeather
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

When they all start to bloom, I should have a lot of yellow, white, and a few pinks sprinkled in.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

And a little bonus for enriching the soil with my first load of homemade compost - tomatoes. I must have thrown some in composter.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I tried a plant this year that was new to me in my Sky Garden, yellow Scabiosa. At first I was disappointed with them, they've grown well and have lots of blooms, but the little creamy yellow blooms just didn't show up much and I was thinking I probably wouldn't grow them again. However a few nights ago I went for a night walk in the garden and was blown away by all these little bright spots glowing in the night- it's almost like they're slightly glow in the dark! The stems are narrow and wirey, so they appear to be just floating in space. Kinda reminded me of the way Tinkerbell was shown as a little dancing ball of light. I'm saving plenty of seed from them and will have plenty to share if anyone would like some.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Are you putting them in the Piggy Swap? I would love to have some of the yellow Scabiosa!!!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I sure am :-)

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Several years ago I had some volunteer tomatos in my lawn, but not from the compost. My composter was my dog Angus who adored tomatos and ate them just like they were the best thing he ever tasted. He passed away almost seven years ago. My current dog is actually a nephew to Angus but Marley will only eat tomatos with dip! No volunteers from him.

Fremont, OH(Zone 5b)

I just saw this thread and had to post, even though I haven't read the whole thing through.
I have an area between my house and shed (turned into garage) My gardening shed got moved back farther.Any way, my DH built an extravagant pergola in between with a brick walkway.I have a circle bed in the center.I plan to fill this with a cottage type garden of all white,or mostly white flowers.
I looked out last night with the full moon and it was almost like day with the shadows of the pergola.
I am open for suggestions for this whole area.It will be mostly shade and there is a large maple tree in the area as well,which makes it dry.
I am posting a picture.The deck is going to be revamped and the railings are going to be removed witth benches to be put in with pots on the side.

Thumbnail by violap
Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

How come it will be dry? Is it bad to water under a maple or is the tree just taking all the water? I am starting a new bed under a maple and this is pertinent info. I was told that it isno problem to water under there, that it won't hurt the tree. If it's dry I guess astilbe is out.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

The maples in my yard are major water usurpers, seems no amount of watering I do can compensate. I like to use large containers in those areas though, and they do really well. In your zone Astilbes would be perfectly hardy to keep in containers.

Fremont, OH(Zone 5b)

I don't know if they would do well in containers in my zone though.
Ido plan to amend the soil to help with containing some moisture,and I can water often.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Vi, although they are hardy to zone 5, I'd be hesitant to try to overwinter them in containers there too. I moved here from a moist, wooded environment, where my Astilbes were so happy. They've not performed very well here though, of course I'm sure that has a lot to do with the droughts we had in '07 and '08. While I haven't tried it, I know several members who use the moisture polymer crystals in the soil.

Fremont, OH(Zone 5b)

I began using soil moist in my pots this year and I was amazed at the difference it made.I was able to get by watering my pots 1-2 times a week when before I needed to water at least every other day.
I will swear by that stuff and if you buy it in a large quantity it is not that expensive.It's supposed to be good for a few years after you have it in the soil.
I also have added it un my soil around the root area when I planted in the ground.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Is there going to be a coop on it? I missed the one last year.

Fremont, OH(Zone 5b)

I didn't know they had one.I'm pretty new here.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

The co ops are great.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Violap, I love your new pergola. I just saw the thread last night. You will have a beautiful moon garden there.

Fremont, OH(Zone 5b)

I did do the summerhill seed one.I am waiting for my seeds to come.I wanted to do the one for caladiums because I felt that they would be really neat in my moon garden,especially the nearly white and silver ones.But now it seems that they aren't having it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.